PDA

View Full Version : What is a street fighter ?

debaser
30-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Modified or out of a box? Bling or rat? Form or function?

debaser
30-10-2008, 06:46 PM
http://www.spartgsxrspecials.com/EXCILE/Black_Suzuki_Bandit_1.jpg

I think this is a streetfighter.

debaser
30-10-2008, 06:52 PM
http://nsd.dyndns.org/MC/Rat%20Bike.jpg

I think this is a rat bike.

Weaselman
30-10-2008, 06:53 PM
to me a fighter is anything that is sans plastic and bad ass...
No a hornet with a dirtbike headlight isnt a fighter.

I own an xjr and i love fighters but i classify mine as a muscle bike a la 70's

debaser
30-10-2008, 06:56 PM
http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/uploads/08_Bandit_650_Black.1.jpg

A nice bike, but not a streetfighter.

sharky
30-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Oh God...not this again..[|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)]

Large
30-10-2008, 07:03 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/17527488573206.jpg

debaser
30-10-2008, 07:05 PM
http://www.bikesure.co.uk/bikesureblog/uploaded_images/bikelazuy-705897.jpg

This is not a streetfighter.

Cruisecontrol
30-10-2008, 07:07 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/83105392162147.jpg

This is not a Streetfighter.

BANDITROD
30-10-2008, 07:15 PM
this is always a grey area for us as fighter builders cos the trend is chaging all the time but my opinon of a fighter is a naked bike that has been modified to the extent that everywhere you go people have to ask what is was to begin with cos they have no fucking idea but having said that everyone has there own view of their fighter in there head and that is why the question you are asking is almost to fucking hard to answer cos i dont class a stock naked a fighter cos its stock if ya know what i mean ................fuck i have a headache [xx(]

debaser
30-10-2008, 07:15 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/71/165970756_fd67fc4931.jpg?v=0

Fighting in the street or streetfighters?

Weaselman
30-10-2008, 07:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by BANDITROD

this is always a grey area for us as fighter builders cos the trend is chaging all the time but my opinon of a fighter is a naked bike that has been modified to the extent that everywhere you go people have to ask what is was to begin with cos they have no fucking idea but having said that everyone has there own view of their fighter in there head and that is why the question you are asking is almost to fucking hard to answer cos i dont class a stock naked a fighter cos its stock if ya know what i mean ................fuck i have a headache [xx(]

I had a guy in a fourby ask what my bike was while i was taking pics of it
does that mean its a streetfighter?

BANDITROD
30-10-2008, 07:28 PM
well yeah ......do you know what i just had a thought and i reckon it is almost at the stage where there so many types of streetfighter its hard to depict what is what these days ahhhhh....fucked if i know, does what i just wrote make sense[?]

Weaselman
30-10-2008, 07:31 PM
i think being a streetfighter is same as being a chop builder.
Taking a decent stock bike all shiney and nice and looking at it an thinking.

I should really cut all that shit off with an angle grinder

Cruisecontrol
30-10-2008, 07:33 PM
People seem to think it is important to be classed as one thing or another for whatever reason.
Personally, I only break bikes up into two groups:

Ones I like and ones I don't.

debaser
30-10-2008, 07:35 PM
An old boy towing a camper with a harley told me my first streetfighter looked like a dirt bike and a road bike got drunk and fucked.

BANDITROD
30-10-2008, 07:37 PM
that is a great way to look at it dan and i reckon i will have to agree with that mate

Bear
30-10-2008, 07:45 PM
I reckon streetfighters are basically modified non-choppers/cruisers. Does that make sense? [:p]

There seems to be lots of styles within the streetfighter genre but essentially it's as the name suggests - taking a stock bike and making it suitable for tearing up the streets. That can happen in so many ways, shapes, styles and levels of budget.

Weaselman
30-10-2008, 07:46 PM
fuck it i've had 6 beers

If your on here and you think stock sucks and fairings are for fags and the sunday set your a fighter rider to me

JackTar
30-10-2008, 08:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by Weaselman

fuck it i've had 6 beers

If your on here and you think stock sucks

Agreed.

I think pretty much any modified sport bike is a fighter, some people have the skills to do stuff themselves and good for them wish I was one, then there are people who don't have those kind of skills but do what they can and get help with the rest.

I reckon most people on here would agree that the streetfighters magazine is pretty focused on the bike in the title yet they have plenty of bikes in there with fairings.

sharky
30-10-2008, 08:02 PM
quote:I should really cut all that shit off with an angle grinder
Yes you should mate...it looks far to stock ;) [:0] [B)]

Weaselman
30-10-2008, 08:03 PM
To much seppo bling shit...

one an issue is to much. Im fucking sick of 50 grand 'stock' engine busas with chrome everything and a fag paintjob

Jockney Rebel
30-10-2008, 08:07 PM
i reckon a fighter is anything u want it to be ..as long as it goes round corners,fast and its different

JackTar
30-10-2008, 08:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jockney Rebel

i reckon a fighter is anything u want it to be ..as long as it goes round corners,fast and its different

YES

Bear
30-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Streetfighters are an artform and an expression of the owner in that respect.

suxukifreak
30-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Nothing like a home made "streetfighter"....

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/21142588567567.jpg

crazymofo
30-10-2008, 10:16 PM
fucks sake do a fucking search on the question, im sure you'll find some fucking answers

cheers.joe.

Azrael
30-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Streetfighter..

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/211425974112971.jpg

debaser
30-10-2008, 11:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by crazymofo

fucks sake do a fucking search on the question, im sure you'll find some fucking answers

cheers.joe.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/images/akirabike.jpg

Sadly you are wrong. Fucking.

Nakedbusa
31-10-2008, 02:11 AM
I dont think a factory stock bike is a streetfighter no matter how wild it looks.

Fight_fan
31-10-2008, 07:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by debaser

quote:Originally posted by crazymofo

cheers.joe.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/images/akirabike.jpg

Sadly you are wrong. Fucking.

Dammit! I want n Akira bike SO bad! [^]

JackTar
31-10-2008, 03:04 PM
WTF is Akira?

Weaselman
31-10-2008, 03:14 PM
your not serious are you?

Fight_fan
31-10-2008, 03:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by JackTar

WTF is Akira?

R u serious JackTar? U r arnt u! [}:)] Im shocked & appalled mate... Akira is posibly the best Anime film of all time & that is what Tetsuo & Kaneda's bikes look like! In case thats way over ur head, it set in the future n they are the main characters along with Akira who is this little kid with hectic super powers! Sounds pretty freakin sweat huh! Yeh thats right u'v been missing out my friend... [^]
;)

zx12argh
31-10-2008, 03:49 PM
i really don't think you are selling jacktar with that one.
If you mentioned it was Sailor Moon Hentai I think he would be in...

KATO ZX7
31-10-2008, 03:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by Azrael

Streetfighter..

Well now, id ride that!! (Streetfighter):D

Sorry STELF [:X]

Rocket
31-10-2008, 05:21 PM
It's a cartoon Jacktar.

Hagarr
31-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Thnx for clearing that up 'cos i didn't know either [:I]

Merlyn
31-10-2008, 08:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by KATO ZX7

quote:Originally posted by Azrael

Streetfighter..

Well now, id ride that!! (Streetfighter):D

Sorry STELF [:X]

oooooh me too :P But not the ones in the back... I aint sorry.

Whats a streefighter? Its a bike aint it ;)[8D]

camlark
01-11-2008, 02:07 PM
when i first heard of streetfighters 6 odd years ago i was under the imppression it was a sportsbike(generally jap)stripped back to bare essentials,moto x bars and maybe some engine work. designed mainly as the bars are supposed to be better for ripping around corners in city streets and for better control doing monos etc. basicly terrorising and making a nuisance of oneself in the streets.
hence streetfighter.

01-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Camlark is pretty spot on. thats what i thought when i first seen fighters???
like the original oldschool hot rodders. lighter, smaller, faster, wilder and just being a public menace.
von dutch would be pinstriping fighters in this day and age.
and whats wrong with a stock bike that near enough fits the bill???
it is just making life cheaper and easier to mod it to where you want. i know i don't wanna pay for plastic just to throw it.
thats my two cents.

Funkenfresh
02-11-2008, 01:14 AM
quote:Originally posted by camlark

when i first heard of streetfighters 6 odd years ago i was under the imppression it was a sportsbike(generally jap)stripped back to bare essentials,moto x bars and maybe some engine work. designed mainly as the bars are supposed to be better for ripping around corners in city streets and for better control doing monos etc. basicly terrorising and making a nuisance of oneself in the streets.
hence streetfighter.

+100 000 000 to this... but in saying that a factory claimed 'streetfighter' is not a fighter to me, as its not specialized..
and i dont agree with crusiers being called a fighter, in exception for the vmax which is just awesome

camlark
02-11-2008, 02:06 PM
as 333 said the out of the box fighters are cashing in on a style that has obviously planted its feet. those of us building our own or trying to i suppose can be considered oldschool. but i do agree the essence of a fighter is home made.individual expression. as for cruisers, if i wanted to ride an armchair i'd stay at home.

JackTar
02-11-2008, 03:34 PM
I can't believe how many of you fucking nerds watch cartoons.

Bear
02-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Nothing but Robot Chicken for me. :D

JackTar
02-11-2008, 09:05 PM
But seriously Cartoons?!

kevkatana
02-11-2008, 09:24 PM
If you have to ask what a Streetfighter is then maybe you shouldn't be on this forum.;):D

debaser
02-11-2008, 09:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by kevkatana

If you have to ask what a Streetfighter is then maybe you shouldn't be on this forum.;):D

[B)]

HOS
03-11-2008, 04:06 AM
It seems that having straight bars and no side fairing panels are the ONLY definition of a streetfighter?

According to SF mag a while back...
Streetfighter = Xtreme Performance Specials.
Thats enough for me ;)

Freddo
03-11-2008, 05:04 AM
I would think the Streetfighter is coming from the cafe racer, just that cafe racer came from Nortons and others, Here today much more Jap bikes, not easy to end with a cafe racer, so modifications, tuning and all tastes helping, here come the streetfighter...Same spirit just differents shape, don't care about looking a GP pilot, just wanted somethink looking smoking hot and going fast a the set of trafic light...

03-11-2008, 11:03 AM
It's a fucking attitude....My first build was in 97 or so...Got looked down on the same way I've been looked down on for riding a motard

Origins ?
It was born of being strapped for cash and needing to get a bike back on the road. The builds have come along way but what's the point of a show 'fighter.

debaser
03-11-2008, 11:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by bladehunter

It's a fucking attitude....My first build was in 97 or so...Got looked down on the same way I've been looked down on for riding a motard

Origins ?
It was born of being strapped for cash and needing to get a bike back on the road. The builds have come along way but what's the point of a show 'fighter.

Yes I agree, getting a broken sports bike back on the road and realizing you don't need a fairing. And yes a "show" fighter is a contradiction. Like it or not streetfighting bikes has it's roots somewhere and now it seems a full circle has happened and they can now sell you one new?

Tony Nitrous
03-11-2008, 09:51 PM
"In the UK a streetfighting motorcycle is one that the owner describes as a streetfighter, plain and simple. A streetfighter is a bike thats been modified for both performance and looks and can have a full fairing or twin spots or an Acerbis handlebar fairing or whatever.
Building and riding 'fighters is as much a mental thing as it is a physical thing and one of the nice things about them is that there isn't really a boundary to the genre - anything can be a streetfighter. If its modified on a performance basis then its a streetfighter over here...
In my years working at Streetfighters Magazine we ran features on bikes as diverse as street-legal CR and KX500s, a trick-framed CB250N with upside-downies, a nitrous Gold Wing, a cut down and jacked up Pan European (ST1100) a turbocharged BMW flat twin, fully-faired Blackbirds with big bore kits and nitrous oxide and a whole host of other weird and wonderful bikes too. None of them were "streetfighters" as the man in the street would think of one, but its there owners attitudes that make their bikes eligible for the magazine.

Nik Sammson."

March 06
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1241

Oct 06
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3244&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=Definition

zx12argh
03-11-2008, 10:10 PM
^^^ ditto

HOS
04-11-2008, 12:31 AM
Yeah thats what I was trying to say ;)

JackTar
04-11-2008, 02:34 AM
You best be locking your door if you are going to talk about streetfighters that have fairings Tony the fairing nazis will be around your joint quicker than you can say 'fuck me I was %100 right'

debaser
04-11-2008, 09:01 AM
"Fairy Nazis"? what the fuck? They better stay away from my place, my 'other bike' has tassels on the saddle bags.

Tony Nitrous
04-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Im happy to ride faired, naked or even down right ugly !

What I can't be riding is something covered in "bling",
Something with a Huuuuuuge fat tyre,
Something that gasp's and wheeezes then the pace hot's up.

Faired, Naked, Bling, Streetfighter, none of its cool when
a bike twice as old and half the size kick's your arse.

A lot of the Streetfighter "scene" is going a bit soft-cock,

Folk are getting more interested in SHOW than GO.

My new favorite saying...
"Ali and Tyson didn't win beauty contests"

Funkenfresh
04-11-2008, 05:12 PM
please note that Nick Sammson states .."None of them were "streetfighters" as the man in the street would think of one, but its there owners attitudes that make their bikes eligible for the magazine.".. doesnt make every bike in the mag a fighter, some are just hotted customs... just have to type 'streetfighter' in woogle and average out what most of the bike pics are, and thats your fighters, mostly...........

Cruisecontrol
04-11-2008, 05:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tony Nitrous

Im happy to ride faired, naked or even down right ugly !

What I can't be riding is something covered in "bling",
Something with a Huuuuuuge fat tyre,
Something that gasp's and wheeezes then the pace hot's up.

Faired, Naked, Bling, Streetfighter, none of its cool when
a bike twice as old and half the size kick's your arse.

A lot of the Streetfighter "scene" is going a bit soft-cock,

Folk are getting more interested in SHOW than GO.

My new favorite saying...
"Ali and Tyson didn't win beauty contests"

I agree wholeheartedly, however the rider maketh the bike in the performance stakes.

evilkarl
04-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Yep I agree, I tend to think a streetfighter is as the name suggests. Street ridden and ready to fight, not some showroom stock pocket rocket and not a RGV250 with no fairing either. As the name suggests the bike should have attitude and some grunt to back that attitude up. I don't agree that the bike should strictly have no fairing, but however the owner styles the bike it should look tuff.

There are a few styles of bike building around these days, Muscle bikes are pretty popular at the moment, most I have seen look the goods and go very well but the best I have seen are enhanced standard bikes such as GSX1100 and Z1000's with bigger wheels, beefed up engines and restored paints, but a streetfighter would differ to these because I don't think a streetfighter is limited to standard bodywork, paint or engine.

IMHO The Judge is about as streetfighter as it gets and a fine example of a beautifully modified streetfighter. But I've also seen a few modified full fairing Busa's that also have the same attitude and probably fit into the SF class, but thats the good thing about modifying a bike, each to their own and what some people think is bad, others will love. At least this scene won't get boring.

But the more defined it is, the smaller the participation so bring forth all creations.

debaser
04-11-2008, 07:20 PM
"But the more defined it is, the smaller the participation so bring forth all creations" and lo the creations did appear. John 7:11

dinorider
05-11-2008, 07:40 PM
^^^^^^^that is a streetfighter

05-11-2008, 08:08 PM
^^^^^^^ if your pointing to the gsx-r1 then that is what i thought a streetfighter was when i first heard the term. down to the paint. thats the sort of thing i saw that turned my head toward an interest in fighters.

HOS
05-11-2008, 08:50 PM
A classic example of how the whole idea of a streetfighter gets fucked up is with the SF show at The Ace cafe last year.
A mate of mine with a well blinged up Busa also has a bright orange Gix11 fighter, a peach of a bike and an SF mag feature bike too.

When we were at the Ace one of the streefighter show judges told my mate that she didnt think his bike was a streetfighter because it had clip on bars..... I mean that was just an example of the bullshit of when people who know eff all about bikes start getting all anal about what a fighter is or should be.

Mind you thats shows for you... lol

A pair o Renthals, a paint job and a set of Bates on your bog stock B12 doesnt make a fighter either. Sorry but it doesnt.

Do yourself a favour and take a look at what the Germans are doing with Streetfighters ? ;) Awesome ideas ! [8D][8D][8D]

debaser
05-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Hey HOS can you answer this for me, why do the germans point their seats up like they do? This trend must have started somewhere?

Agree with the clipon deal. And the statement about the renthals etc.

HOS
05-11-2008, 11:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by debaser

Hey HOS can you answer this for me, why do the germans point their seats up like they do? This trend must have started somewhere?

Saves having to carry some big hairy Helga on the pillion ? ? [:0]:D

Not sure mate ... lol lol

06-11-2008, 02:13 AM
I personally can't stand that tail pointing to the sky look, looks like they got Biaggi to do a mono on it for them

dinorider
06-11-2008, 05:23 AM
yes debasers gsx-r1 is what I was pointing at,I think it`s easier to tell what is a streetfighter rather than what isn`t.

spart666
06-11-2008, 09:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by HOS

A classic example of how the whole idea of a streetfighter gets fucked up is with the SF show at The Ace cafe last year.
A mate of mine with a well blinged up Busa also has a bright orange Gix11 fighter, a peach of a bike and an SF mag feature bike too.

When we were at the Ace one of the streefighter show judges told my mate that she didnt think his bike was a streetfighter because it had clip on bars..... I mean that was just an example of the bullshit of when people who know eff all about bikes start getting all anal about what a fighter is or should be.

Mind you thats shows for you... lol

A pair o Renthals, a paint job and a set of Bates on your bog stock B12 doesnt make a fighter either. Sorry but it doesnt.

Do yourself a favour and take a look at what the Germans are doing with Streetfighters ? ;) Awesome ideas ! [8D][8D][8D]

im with you on that one
1.orange gixxer was a fighter
2.exiles bandit which is wright in the beggining of this thread was also at the show has clipons and has also had a sf shoot
3.both bikes were also at the nec same year with sf as custom extreams
4.i actually got best of show that year and was looking at that gixxer it got a lot of attention as it did at the nec i met up with the owner when me and exile were setting up our bikes good bloke
so so much for the judges

HOS
06-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Spart I saw your bike and Exiles at both same shows, both xceptional bikes.
Are you showing at the NEC this month ?

I have caught sight of Schaefers new build [:0][:0][:0]

HOS
06-11-2008, 10:28 PM
You and the guys will have to pop up Bassetts Pole one summers tuesday night and meet us maybe ?

Mark who you met, a whole load of well tricked up Busas and usually woodsy on his turbo B.King are up there.
Marks brother runs Beanosnuts and hes the main importer for RoaringToyz and other trick stuff from the US, also and very useful..... they`ve got a very talented chrome plater they use.

spart666
06-11-2008, 11:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by HOS

You and the guys will have to pop up Bassetts Pole one summers tuesday night and meet us maybe ?

Mark who you met, a whole load of well tricked up Busas and usually woodsy on his turbo B.King are up there.
Marks brother runs Beanosnuts and hes the main importer for RoaringToyz and other trick stuff from the US, also and very useful..... they`ve got a very talented chrome plater they use.

will defo meet up with you guys next summer
to busy for nec this year
turbo b king!!!!!!!!!!! got to see that[:p]
i need some contacts if you know anyone swingarm to take a 250 section my fabricator desent do swingarms let me know
laters