PDA

View Full Version : Newy Brakeline HELP!!

Slingblade
27-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Any of the Newy members wanna help me out with my new brake lines? I have a new set of HEL'S and i have installed and primed them but after a number of tries to bleed them i am getting nada at the lever. There is nothing there. I have exhausted my limited knowledge and thought some of you fellas may be brake gurus. It is giving me the shits no end.

cheers

sharky
27-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Try taking off the throttle housing and moving the m/cyl to the end of the bar so that you can get full swing on the lever. If there is an adjustable bolt that pushes on the piston screw it right in so that you again get max movement.

Large
27-08-2006, 05:05 PM
lol

After doing the brakes on my Kat and my GSXR...I found out that they sell brake fluid in 500ml battles because that's exactly how much you'll need.

Have you got some clear lines on the bleed nipples? You'll need them to see the bubbles coming through. Apair of gloves help stopping your hands from going mushy.

I started by pumping/bleeding/pumping/bleeding....then I cracked the nipples (tee hee) just open and drank heavily while the fluid ran through via gravity (keep topping up the resevior so it doesn't empty)...then pump/bleed/pump/bleed...get the shits and crack another bottle of piss...gravity feed...pump/bleed/etc etc.

Took fucking all afternoon both times, but it eventually worked just as I got to the bottom of the bottles (booze and brake fluid) :)

Zed14
27-08-2006, 05:14 PM
can you bring it to elermore vale?

Slingblade
27-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the tips fellas. I am half way through the bottle of fluid and i have 4 stubbies out of a even dozen left. A ways to go yet.

Aint it amazing how when you mention brakes that need bleeding to your mates they are all busy that weekend. Fukkas!!

Sounds like i just need to persevere. Shouldnt i be getting some resistance at the lever though? It pulls to the grip like there is no lines on at all.

Slingblade
27-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the offer Rexie but i have no way to get it over there. I dont have a trailer and i think riding from Charlestown to Elemore Vale with no brakes would not be covered on the life insurance policy! Maybe you could put some tyres out the front and i can aim for that. Should have a good pace up by Elemore Vale! hahaha

Zed14
27-08-2006, 05:25 PM
get a large syringe and push the brake fluid up through the bleed nipple. i have a syringe here if you need one

Zed14
27-08-2006, 05:27 PM
bubbles travel better going up

Slingblade
27-08-2006, 05:28 PM
I can offer you a beer and a chat if you get over Charlestown way.

Zed14
27-08-2006, 05:29 PM
cant tonight sorry.

Slingblade
27-08-2006, 05:29 PM
I saw that syringe method on the net. Are they just a generic thing? Supercheap?

Slingblade
27-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Oh shit there aint that much of a rush. I will fart around tonight and see if i have any joy. If not i might take you up on the syringe offer. cheers mate.

Zed14
27-08-2006, 05:33 PM
my mrs is a nurse she just brings em home

Slingblade
27-08-2006, 05:38 PM
My mrs is a legal secretary and all she brings home is stress....and all the paper clips you can use. Thanks alot for the offer, if i need it i will let you know, for sure.

Large
27-08-2006, 05:47 PM
you can get syringes from chemists...just tell them you don't need the needle or they look at you funny.

As for resistance at the lever...I didn't get any for ages...when you do it's great because it means you're nearly finished...and a reason to crack another :)

Slingblade
27-08-2006, 05:51 PM
ah cool. I just figured i was doing something wrong when i had nothing. The instructions make it sound so simple.

Large
27-08-2006, 07:07 PM
It prolly is after you've done it a hundred times.

I was going to try the syringe up the pipes method rexie was saying...but I was worried about a fluid blowout over the paint.

It will work eventually the way you're going :)

Zed14
27-08-2006, 07:08 PM
cover the paint large. cover the paint. i dont even have to tell rexie jr twice.

sickboy
27-08-2006, 11:31 PM
Mate ,just loosen your master cylinder cap, cable tie your lever 3/4 to the bar, go and have a cup of tea ,come back and check level, if the level has droped then air bubbles are slowly rising out of the brake system, top up fluid ,go make another cuppa or watch American Chopper, check again, top up if necessary, remove cable tie, slowly squeeze lever in an out a few times ,repeat until you get pressure at your lever.

Slingblade
28-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the replies. All good info. Will hit it tomorrow arvo with avengence. Cheers.

Booster
28-08-2006, 08:25 AM
If your master cyl has emptied it can take a while, easiest to bleed the master cyl first ,
The syringe method works well too , but make sure the master cyl has its inlet port as the highest point or you will still get some air in the cyl and you still need to do a final pump and bleed at the calipers.
Vets have 60cc syringes ;)

fimpBIKES
28-08-2006, 12:43 PM
like sickboy said,

just tie the lever in and let it sit,
the bubbles should find their way up

also if u arent getting anything at all check your joins out cos all it takes is a little gap and it wont get any pressure

sickboy
28-08-2006, 12:55 PM
And make sure you dont leave the master cylinder cap off over night as brake fluid just loves moisture.

Slingblade
28-08-2006, 12:59 PM
All sweet!! Got it sorted. Just took some patience and walking away and letting it sit. I got two air spirts that looked like the vinegar shot on a blue movie out of the right caliper and it firmed right up. Thanks for the help. Just have to fit the front guard and plastic on my headlight unit and i am riding again.

Rocket
28-08-2006, 01:24 PM
I tried to buy a syringe from the chemist a while back but they only had little ones (apparently junkies and Diabetics don't need that much). I reckon a pet shop that does horse stuff would be a good spot to look but I didn't bother.
All I did was fill the master cylinder, put a clear hose over the bleed nipple, put my mouth over the hose and sucked until fluid came through the nipple. Then closed off the nipple, did the same to the other side and then started bleeding using the olde traditional method.
It wasn't hard and I was just carefull when sucking it through and just had my young bloke watch the fluid level while I was doing it.

Hillsy
28-08-2006, 01:53 PM
I did my ZX9 fronts from dry with a 20ML syringe I got from the local chemist. It was $1.00. Get a 6 inch piece of clear hose on it and you're set. Here's how:

1. Make sure reservoir is empty (use syringe for this).
2. Fill syringe with new brake fluid and attach to 1st caliper bleed nipple.
3. Empty syringe contents into brakes. Keep going until you nearly fill the reservoir with fluid.
4. With an empty syringe, draw fluid OUT of caliper bleed nipple. This will pull out any air trapped in the caliper. You can then put this fluid back in the reservoir and repeat the process.
5. Do the same for other side.
6. Because I could, I went back to the previous caliper and drew out / inserted fluid again just to make sure.
7. When you're finished, tie the brake lever on and let sit overnight. This will expand the lines (slightly) and allow any left over air to rise back to the reservoir. It will also expose any leaks you might have at the banjo joints. When you untie the lever, any trapped air should come out into the reservoir.

You will not need a lot of fluid for this.

Note: Make sure you don't totally empty the reservoir at point 4 (this will suck air back into the lines and you'll be back to square one).
Also, open the bleed nipple just enough to allow the fluid to flow through - don't open it up heaps or you risk getting air in the lines.

Benz
28-08-2006, 05:31 PM
All of the above......:D
PLUS, tapping on the brakelines, from bottom to top wil help free the trapped air bubbles that attach to the inner walls of the hoses. Also just wiggling the brake lever helps get the air from the master cylinder.
I hate bleeding brakes[V]