PDA

View Full Version : Dumb forced induction question

Fish
26-10-2008, 10:28 AM
turbo/supercharged 750 or turbo/supercharged 1100? I have a 750, I was going to put an 1100 in, get used to that and then t/s it. I've been told a few times just t/s the 750. But (here's the dumb question) will the t/s 750 make as much power as the t/s 1100?

Flame away.[:o)]

ozkat
26-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Oil cooled or water cooled Brendan?

Fish
27-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Oil cooled Oz

Deano
27-10-2008, 05:53 PM
there is no substitute for cubic inches

work on the rough theroy that for every 1 bar of boost (14.7 psi) you should go close to doubling your horspower.

a guy on OSS turboed his slabby 750 and got 128hp and 102nm at 6psi he then took that motor out and built a turbo friendly 1100 and got 197hp 155nm on 7.3psi at the wheel

the 1100 motor is alot stonger, the 1100 gearbox will take the power, the coil spring clutch will be good for about 200hp, the 750 clutch is very week especially if it is the cast ally basket type.

my advice is spend the money and get yourself a bandit1200 motor they are already low comp and have softer cams and that means less overlap, better for turbo use
http://forum.oldskoolsuzuki.info/cgi-bin/Yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1169471877/0

Fish
27-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Ahhhh now that's what i needed. thanks Deano. how's the bandit clutch hold up? Is it just a case of better plates and springs from someone like Barnett?

ozkat
27-10-2008, 08:23 PM
The good thing about using the 1127 engine is with a rebore you can use Busa pistons (factory forged) and Busa rods witch are alot stronger than 1127 rods. I also have a set of hpc coated turbo headers here you might be interested in. New and ill never use them.

Deano
27-10-2008, 10:51 PM
bandit clutch is the worst of the lot. send it off to ebay.

bandits can be bore out aswell to take the busa slugs. depending on what power you are chasing. i have heard of people using standard bandit motors and screwing 250 hp from them, pistons are a little weak tho

have a read of this
http://forum.oldskoolsuzuki.info/cgi-bin/Yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1223667272

latheboy
28-10-2008, 06:10 AM
What clutch have you put on you bandit Deano??? 7/12 sounds like its a much better combo. but you've been saying that for a while now..
Hows you toy coming along?

Deano
28-10-2008, 04:40 PM
coil spring slabby clutch in my bandit motor,

lot of work done lately.

intercooler is finished, new headers finished, new plenum nearly finished, up pipes to be done as soon as new plenum is done, headligts purchased and roughly mounted awaiting proper lasercut brackets, gauge mounts awaiting lazer cut brackets.

next on the list is the fuel system and blow off valve plumbing. and purchase wide band o2, sm4 autronic ecu, lock up clutch and plumb the oil lines.

wanting to have first run by christmas

Hagarr
28-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Hey Oz e-mail sent.

Hagarr
29-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Hey Shayne Turbo headers suit 1127 HPC coated.

Flange to suit ???

How much How much!!!!!

I Buy I Buy!!!

E-mail sent earlier.

PPPPLLLLEEEAAAASSSSEEEE!!!

Fish
30-10-2008, 10:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by ozkat

The good thing about using the 1127 engine is with a rebore you can use Busa pistons (factory forged) and Busa rods witch are alot stronger than 1127 rods. I also have a set of hpc coated turbo headers here you might be interested in. New and ill never use them.

I s'pose I'd need to get new sleeves then if i go the busa gear? This is all very good food for thought, I'm a little daunted as to setting up turbo on carbs though. I understand it's some what of a pain in the arse. would supercharging be any easier seeing as you get more boost in direct correlation to RPM? Sorry if these are all stupid questions, I'm on a very steep learning curve seeing as i have absolutly NO mechanical background.

Deano
30-10-2008, 05:17 PM
for the street i would say that supercharging would be the way to go. i would use the rotrex unit with a custom mount and pipe work. they were around $2500 when i was looking a couple of years ago.

the reasons i went turbo instead was.
you loose ground clearance with supercharging due to the pulley on the end of the crank. the oil cooled 1100 suffers badly without bolting a pulley on the side.
cost of the charger unit.
would still have to mount the charger infront of the motor. the cradle frame dosn't allow you to mount it close to the engine.
you will then have to somehow route your exhaust around the supercharger.
i didn't beleive i could make the install look any were near as neat as i have the turbo install.
turbos are cheap i paid $100 for mine from ebay.
no need to make custom drive for the charger, ground clearance dosn't suffer.
had to make custom headers either way, easier to make the turbo headers than a full system that curls around the charger. turbo oil cooled gsxrs have been around for years so i wouldn't be a pioneer in my first forced induction project.

next project i would consider a supercharger but only on a bike with a twin spar frame instead of the cradle style.

Fish
31-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Hmmm good points there Deano. Looks like i'll be going the turbo then. Assuming injuection is out of the question for the moment, is it easier to tune a turbo with flatslides or CVs?

Deano
31-10-2008, 06:23 PM
to answer your earlier question you don't have to resleeve just rebore to 1216.

many people have used cv's so ther is alot more help/info available than if you were trying to pressurise flat slides. i don't think either of the 2 would be 'easy'

ozkat
31-10-2008, 07:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by Hagarr

Hey Shayne Turbo headers suit 1127 HPC coated.

Flange to suit ???

How much How much!!!!!

I Buy I Buy!!!

E-mail sent earlier.

PPPPLLLLEEEAAAASSSSEEEE!!!
T3/T4 flange. No email here. try info@dragbike.com.au

Hagarr
31-10-2008, 07:35 PM
E-mail sent this time hopefully!!!