PDA

View Full Version : can you spray chrome?

Guile
23-10-2008, 06:21 PM
i bought some flat drag bars recently in chrome and want to spray the them satin black, whats the best paint prep?

i was planning on sanding them down, nothing too harsh so you see the marks once painted, just enough to take the shine off the chrome and hopefully give the paint a key,

i will use vinyl paint as i think that sticks like shit to a blanket, i'll also put more coats on then a tarts make up,

photos soon so you guys can see how well the paint takes or how shit a job i make of it,

any advice appreciated

scotty
24-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Yes you can..Its a real biach.For the price of paint I would ring Bike Craft and buy some of his bars.... ;)

gibbo
24-10-2008, 03:04 PM
You can mate but chrome is bloody hard so keying up the surface will also be bloody hard! You will need to etch prime then prime then sand and paint, Then when you tighten up the brackets etc you will probably knock the paint off because paint is not all that hard. And putting more coats on will only make it worse. If you want the thing to look good and last a while then do as Scotty says and buy some new bars. Could try powdercoat maybe.

Pommy Chopper
24-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Good powder coaters won't do anything over crome.
Take them to a chromers and get it stripped off first.

Guile
25-10-2008, 12:15 AM
cheers fellas, sounds like i'm in the shit then really, they only cost 35 bucks though so i might give it a shot,

it has already been said but i think clamping levers on and sliding grips might fuck it most, hopefully will power and luck will provail?

suck it and see, photos shortly

scotty
25-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Na not in the shit.Like pommy said sent it to the chromers and get them to strip it then send it to the powder coaters(ask them for the works, they have a pre dip they dont allways use)and get them to coat them.

HueyonaBlade
26-10-2008, 11:04 AM
sounds like a very expensive exercise considering new bars are only $90[:I]

Guile
31-10-2008, 10:57 AM
decided against this now folks as it would look shit as it start to flake around the lever mounts and also though if the paint gets anywhere near a drop of brake fluid when topping up then game over,

yes i know i shouldn't be so unco and that the fluid serves a much better purpose in the reservior then on my handle bars but shit inevitablely happens