PDA

View Full Version : Intro and 88 GSXR11 project

DiscoDan
21-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Hi Guys

I've just joined the forum so I thought I'd introduce myself (my mother taught me manners after all).

I've decided to take a year off racing 400's and get my 1988 GSXR1100J back on the road as it's been languishing in the shed for a few years after a nasty crash. I'm looking to keep it in the spirit of the original but not a slave to stock. It's also worth noting this will be on a relatively tight budget of around $5k if I can

At the moment the plans are:
New engine (old one is destroyed): looking at a later model, most likely a 92, just because I can. Assume I'll need the matching carbs but hope I can use my electrics and airbox etc
New front end: the old one is toast so I figure I might as well drop in a whole new front end as I'm looking for 17" wheels. I want to keep RWU forks for the period style so I'm hoping there's a later front end (K model?) that drops straight in
Rear wheel: to match the front I'll look to drop a 17" rim in, not too fat mind you. Once again the easier the better.
Shock: the existing one is shagged so I'll look to replace it. Given the 17" wheels and the lazy standard geometry I'd like to lift the rear ride height up so will be on the hunt for something that bolts straight in with a longer shock (wishfull thinking maybe?)
Aethetics: lots to fix there but i also want to change the paint from red/black to blue white, specifically the 86 paint job as the 87 isn't to my tastes. Is the 88 bodywork the same shape as the 86?

I'm in the research phase at the moment so will be asking all sorts of stupid questions over the coming weeks so any advice you can spare the clueless is greatly appreciated. Feel free to pitch in with your comments on my plans so far.

I'll also be looking for a bunch of the parts above so if you've got something in the shed....I'm also considering buying a trashed donor bike once I've worked out what bits fit on (maybe a 89 1100)

cheers
danny

Shadowzone
21-10-2008, 09:59 PM
PM sent mate.

Oh and welcome.

latheboy
22-10-2008, 06:28 AM
Welcome Dan, have a good look around and all you answers will be found .. Everyone horde's stuff here and at some point moves it on .. keep an eye out.. Have a look through here http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7482 it'll take a while but there is heaps of bikes to get ideas from...

Fish
22-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Welcome mate and good luck with it.