PDA

View Full Version : ignition removal

atomic
08-10-2008, 02:37 PM
hey guys help needed how the hell do you remove a ignition i cant work out how it comes off my zx6 can anyone help cheers

fimpBIKES
08-10-2008, 02:50 PM
like the key barrel itself?

atomic
08-10-2008, 02:55 PM
i want to relocate the whole lot fimpbikes to clean up that section

fimpBIKES
08-10-2008, 03:23 PM
not sure about kwacks

but on all the bikes i've played with its two bolts into the top yoke from underneath

they might be torx screws too, which will need some special tools (like allen keys)
can get em at most hardware shops

are you putting in a new key barrel, or just moving it?
i ask cos some have built-in resistance so the ECU knows if someones trying to hotwire the bike....

atomic
08-10-2008, 03:40 PM
yeh mate just rang a bike shop and they said that the screws that hold it in are torqued and when they reach the torque setting the head snaps off so no one can get to the into the ignition that explains why i couldnt see and bolt or screw heads only screw ends probably have to cut it not sure what to do

Hillsy
08-10-2008, 03:44 PM
They are security bolted so you will need to remove the top clamp and drill the remaining head off the bolts to remove. After that it's just a 6MM thread that should unscrew with a pair of long nose pliers.
And there is a 100 ohm resistor (I think) built into the barrel wiring as Fimp has said.

atomic
08-10-2008, 03:52 PM
cheers hillsy its a 1996 model dont think there is any ecu carby model

fimpBIKES
08-10-2008, 05:19 PM
really?
show us some pics when u get the top off

ninjaboy
08-10-2008, 08:36 PM
I've got the same model zx6r. There are 2 screws that come

ninjaboy
08-10-2008, 08:42 PM
My computer didn't let me finish! I've got the same model zx6r. There are 2 screws that come from underneath and screw into the top yoke, like fimp said. Don't know what type of head they had, but i did'nt have the tools and didn't need the screws. So i carefully drilled into them with a smaller drill bit until it came loose.

ninjaboy
08-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Just curious, where are you planning to relocate it? Cause there is a hole in your lower frame where the ignition barrel fits perfectly. I wanted to do this, but you have to find a way of mounting it there and you will have to lengthen the wiring... although it will tidy things up. I'm happy were it is now so i left it.

atomic
08-10-2008, 09:55 PM
hey ninjaboy there is a few places im looking at that hole was one of them but more leaning towards the area under the tank and seat seen it on a bike and it looks good there and out of the way

Shadowzone
30-10-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm thinking about removing my ignition altogether now since some tool pilfered my key and just running 2 switches with the resistor built in to the ignition switch to dispose of the ignition altogether. I reckon that would be the go myself, the ignition switch under the pillion seat and the starter on the hangers where it is currently.

But in the interim I just drilled out my ignition to remove the steering lock and now any key will start my bike, so I need to come up with something pretty quickly to stop it from disappearing altogether off into the wild blue yonder...

So for now maybe just a battery isolator switch will have to do to stop them nicking it while I'm in Woolies...

Bear
30-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Which Woolies would that be? ;):D

Shadowzone
30-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Um the one at Oxenford.

Yep that'll do mate cause it's a long way from the IGA or Coles I normally shop at :)

fimpBIKES
31-10-2008, 11:52 AM
doit,

but i tend to carry a disc lock everywhere and use it if the bikes going to be out of my site for more than a few minutes

Gix11
31-10-2008, 06:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by Shadowzone

Um the one at Oxenford.

That fuckin' carpark is deadly.

Shadowzone
31-10-2008, 11:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

quote:Originally posted by Shadowzone

Um the one at Oxenford.

That fuckin' carpark is deadly.

Yep I know it well, I used to live 5 mins from there in the slums of Upper Coomera once upon a time.

Gix11
03-11-2008, 09:29 PM
I go in there most weeks. Last event was a total strap-on reversing into my mate's car that I'd borrowed while he was sorting mine. A 5 year old could have seen a green station wagon behind him but not this cock smoker.

Shadowzone
03-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Mate I used to deliver Milk to the Woolies and Bilo in a semi for Toll Refrigerated.

That was a shambles too!

Especially the dock at Bilo reversing in the pooring rain downhill on a slick concrete slope trying to get a 48 foot fridgevan in there with a Mack/Renault Quantum Prime mover.

And that was without trying to dodge the tintops and 4wd's driven by imbecilic women who think they're not going to get hurt if a semi runs over their vehicle...