PDA

View Full Version : Question about Powdercoating a Swingarm

zx12argh
06-10-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm pretty sure i know the answer to this already but I'll ask and maybe save myself some work. I'm powdercoating my swing arm i'm reckon I'm going to have to get the bearings pressed out to stop the oven cooking the grease and it running over my finish before its baked off. Not to mention the blasting process and the cleaning fucking the bearings...

Think I just answered my own question but hey maybe I'm wrong - its happened before.

BANDITROD
06-10-2008, 03:31 PM
take them out or they will be fucked

zx12argh
06-10-2008, 03:44 PM
crap - i hate being right.
thanks rod.
Anyone got a tip for pulling these out yourself? Not keen on paying anyone.

mods
06-10-2008, 09:41 PM
after doing the bearings on my trx, my tip is, pay someone to do it. I had a bastard of a time with mine.

zx12argh
06-10-2008, 11:01 PM
double crap.
Cheers guys - I'll drop it into a workshop - that way if it goes to crap I can blame someone else ;)

Deano
07-10-2008, 08:37 AM
jose just got a 1100w swinger powdercoated with the bearings in. they masked up the area sandblasted it and coated in and the bearings are fine,
clean the grease out of the bearings first then give it a go. the bearings will be rooted if removed so expect to buy a set of new ones if you take them out.

Tony Nitrous
07-10-2008, 11:51 AM
I've had a couple done.

I know its not cheap but I alway like to put in new head,
swingarm and wheel bearings. it could be seen as a waste
of cash its nice to know they are in there and so much easyier
if its a full strip down anyway.

Last time I had a swingarm done, i pulled the bearings out and
blanked the tube off with a piece of threaded bar and 2 nut's and washers. Had it blasted and coated like that. Kept it nice.

Tony.J.

zx12argh
07-10-2008, 12:18 PM
The swing arm is only 6000kms old - the bearings should be fine - as long as they come through the process intact I'd rather keep em and spend the money elsewhere. I might have a chat to my coater...
Thanks guys.

Tony Nitrous
07-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Yeah, most of the junk i've had done was weeeeeeellll
past its use by date...;)

Project is looking good anyway.

6 months to AFR09.

zx12argh
07-10-2008, 12:35 PM
fark - dont remind me. Luckly it's 99% cosmetic and just really have to throw the tools at it to put it back together.
The plan is to have her back together before the mrq xmas toy run. See ya there?

Tony Nitrous
07-10-2008, 01:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by zx12argh

The plan is to have her back together before the mrq xmas toy run. See ya there

Not sure.
Its my Birthday weekend and a couple of days before I visit the UK.

Tony.J.