PDA

View Full Version : Flat slide carbs

Fish
03-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Mikuni, Keihin what's the difference? Why do they offer different sizes (Keihin offer 39 and 41 mm while mikuni offer 38 and 40 mm for air/oil cooled gsxr11)for the same machine? Which ones should i get if any? Why Flatslides over CV? Are they any good for street use? Are they a pain in the arse to tune (I am running pod filters)?Lay it all on me people.

DCRacing
03-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Yeah i actually second those questions, i have a few theroies of my own but i need a more informed point of view.
Whats better for road race and whats good for drags.

oldskool
03-10-2008, 09:44 PM
If your running pods Flatslides are the only way to go ,Cv carbs are made with the air box in mind and dont work so well with pods as they use vacume pressure to lift the slides, flatslides IE Mechanical Flatslides are as such mechanical and give instant response no lag or fluffyness, the reason you get all these diferant sizes is that Gixa motors In 1100cc had a nomber of differant size's fitted to them but I think youll find 38's would be the go for a road going standardish Gixa bigga bore bigga carbs.

motogp_nut
03-10-2008, 11:59 PM
So is there any power (horse or torque) gain to be had or is it just a matter of quicker and more crisp response? Also is the difference between mikuni and keihin just a personal flavour choice or is there more to it?

Issues
04-10-2008, 09:03 AM
All the N/A ZX11/ZZR12 guys run keihin 41mm FCR, keihin's are almost twice the price of mikuni's and are alot better finished. Nothing wrong with the mukuni, if its for a street bike I doubt you would notice the performance between the 2.

greg mulligan
04-10-2008, 09:28 AM
about $350.you can get a set of 38mm mikuni ,push & pull throttle and pods for around $950 dollars.keihins are about $1100 and youll have to buy adapter plates to fit pods.if you run keihin on a hyper you wont have enough room to fit pods youll hve to use a sock .check out dynoman performance.com

moog
07-10-2008, 07:23 PM
I've had both, take it from me...GET FCR's NOT Mikuni's, i've got 39's on a 1260,
Mikuni's suffer from stiction and make your forearm cramp after only a few miles, Keihins have needle rollers, and a special type of floating slide which virtually eliminates the stiction, i ride 100kms each way, every day, and they don't make my arm ache, if is were mikuni's, i reckon, more than 25km and i'd be suffering.