PDA

View Full Version : Upside down oil coolers

gibbo
29-09-2008, 04:47 PM
So what's the go with filling oil coolers when they are mounted upside down? Do I just fill it to the line and run it for a while to pump it round or would that be a very bad idea?

Jockney Rebel
29-09-2008, 05:09 PM
hers an answer that falls into the 'not very much help at all' category ..dunno, i dont think it makes much difference which way up they are

latheboy
29-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Undo the top bolts and let it lean down as flat as you can and try it then ... maybe even fill the cooler first them bolt it back on ..

Hagarr
29-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Not sure if this is answering your question but I have run a 750 cooler upside down on my 1216 for years. I just make sure i idle the engine for a bit before taking off so all the oil has left the sump and has circulated through the engine completely.

gibbo
29-09-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm thinking the original cooler is up there anyway, would it make a difference which way the hoses enter the cooler?

Gix11
29-09-2008, 10:26 PM
I just filled mine up the same as normal mate. ran it for a bit and let it settle and cool. Watch where the level is - I filled it to just past the normal full line in case the oil was draining out of the cooler and giving me a false reading. Deano reckons it will not drop out due to no air and anyway, mines been running like it for two years on a 100k plus engine without any problems, even when I was running it with the oil level at minimum after a long few week's ride and not paying attention to the levels. You're pretty safe mate.

gibbo
29-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks Hagar and Si, that's what I wanted to hear.