PDA

View Full Version : Handle Bar Cross Bar Removal

Guile
25-09-2008, 10:20 PM
anyone know what the effect of removing the top cross bar on renthal dirt bike bars would be apart from obviously weakening it,

put another way will the fucking bars collapse into a heap with out the brace intact next time a turn a corner,

any experiance on this much appreciated

masterofinsanity
25-09-2008, 10:40 PM
i thought they were just to hold the pads on? lol, i used my old renthals without a brace no problems, do you do many wheelies cos thats when i'm sure you'll notice the difference you will get more flex in the bars.

Gix11
25-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Nah mate. They are just there for the motocross boys when they land a jump and all their body weight pushes down on the ends of the bars (plus it holds the pad). Unless you're going to jump your bike it won't do shit mate. I always take them off.

Shadowzone
25-09-2008, 10:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Nah mate. They are just there for the motocross boys when they land a jump and all their body weight pushes down on the ends of the bars (plus it holds the pad). Unless you're going to jump your bike it won't do shit mate. I always take them off.

That means if you ride like some of us leave them on, right?

Oh wait I stopped trying to use round abouts as jumps after the last time cause it hurt too much.

Sorry I'll crawl back under my rock now...

Jockney Rebel
26-09-2008, 12:20 AM
i took mine off cut it in half and used it to mount my clocks ..i also used the clamps as bar end mirror mounts

Guile
26-09-2008, 07:48 AM
thanks a lot fellas, just what i suspected and wanted to hear, i'll be taking it off as soon as i get home,

maybe one day i'll have to refit it if ever i get skilled enough for wheel stands and jumps - don't watch this space as i can't see it happening anytime soon!

hope this has been useful for any other dudes wondering the same thing, some of the responses were pretty creative regarding uses for that cross member

JackTar
26-09-2008, 09:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by Jockney Rebel

i took mine off cut it in half and used it to mount my clocks ..i also used the clamps as bar end mirror mounts

You really are a Jock aren't you Jim :)

_M_
26-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Don't forget that some are glued down aswell as clamped down and on removal the glue will more than likely take abit of paint away with it (ie. this is what happened to my last one).

scotty mac
26-09-2008, 12:29 PM
I found that mine flex at high speed on rough roads. these are pro taper style without the cross brace as standard.

Jockney Rebel
26-09-2008, 09:04 PM
..ps if anyone wants my renthals im getting a pair of protapers soon ...and yeah tone I AM a jock thru and thru..lol

Weaselman
27-09-2008, 11:18 AM
pikey

JackTar
27-09-2008, 11:20 AM

..ps if anyone wants my renthals im getting a pair of protapers soon ...and yeah tone I AM a jock thru and thru..lol

How much ya want for the renthals Jim?

Jockney Rebel
27-09-2008, 01:20 PM
dunno bout half of the new price ..and ill post em ..they wont be available for a couple of weeks yet tho

Jockney Rebel
27-09-2008, 01:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by Weaselman

pikey
git..

JackTar
27-09-2008, 07:21 PM

dunno bout half of the new price ..and ill post em ..they wont be available for a couple of weeks yet tho

I have absolutely how much that is Jim but I can wait a couple of weeks.

Jockney Rebel
27-09-2008, 08:05 PM
tone pm sent