PDA

View Full Version : my bike just died

881052gixxr
16-09-2008, 05:43 PM
ok here is the story,

i was riding to palm beach to see the mrs when about 1km from southport exit on the m1 freeway when alll of a sudden no throttle n the bike just died. i rolled to a stop n pushed it to an under pass n sat under the bridge for 4 hours for someone to come get me. while i was sitting there i check all electrics n they worked fine, so the next thing i could think was the fuel line. so i wait till i got it home n pulled the tank off n tested the vaccum line it seemed not to be sucking as much as it used to.also when i tried to start the bike it seemed like it didnt have any fuel what so ever to fire.. so my question is should i change the whole set up n slap new carbs n new fuel tap or should i try n find what the problem is?

any input would be ace

tim

16-09-2008, 06:28 PM
you got spark yeah ?

Got fuel running to the carbs ?

881052gixxr
16-09-2008, 08:13 PM
yeah it has spark... cause when i have it sitting for a short time n leave the choke or leave it on prime (the bike is a 89 gixxer j model)on it will fire once but its like there is no fuel.. and when i pulled the fuel line off it was dry but there was ful coming from the fuel tap... im not sure if its a vacum line or something to do with that.

or is it worth me just getting a set of flat side race carbs?
anyone know how much they cost?

16-09-2008, 08:32 PM
try starting it with the fuel cap open

881052gixxr
16-09-2008, 08:37 PM
kk just went out side n tried n its a still a no goer...

sharky
16-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Saw its own reflection and decided to end it all....GsxrEMO

BANDITROD
16-09-2008, 10:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by sharky

Saw its own reflection and decided to end it all....GsxrEMO
lol

Deano
16-09-2008, 10:38 PM
so many things to check.

i would start by loosening the float drains on the carbs to see if there is a decent amount of fuel in the carbs. this will tell you if it is a fuel problem. if when you say it fires once in theory there should be no feul in the bowls. if there is a good amount draining out then worth looking at other problems,

start there

881052gixxr
17-09-2008, 10:21 AM
aaawww sharky did you get beaten by a gsxr or something? is that why u so angry? lol

thanks heaps deano will look into it today.

Benz
17-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Check the vacuum line to the fuel tap for cracks, kinks etc. There are also breather tubes on the carbs, if they get kinked or blocked fuel cannot get to the carbs, [ a wasp nest in one tube did me in for a while.......] Do you have an inline filter? It may be time to change it out.
If it won't run on prime, there may be a fuel tap blockage
I suspect you have crap in the fuel tap itself, or over the in-tank mesh filter on the tap .........maybe!
Rip the tank off, and take out the tap, you'll soon know........ good luck!

881052gixxr
19-09-2008, 07:04 AM
cheers benz. will do it this weekend.

sharky
19-09-2008, 01:46 PM
quote:aaawww sharky did you get beaten by a gsxr or something? is that why u so angry? lol

Not at all mate....I let those wiv summat to prove race past me whilst I enjoy the ride.. :D

881052gixxr
26-09-2008, 06:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by sharky

quote:aaawww sharky did you get beaten by a gsxr or something? is that why u so angry? lol

Not at all mate....I let those wiv summat to prove race past me whilst I enjoy the ride.. :D

lol fair call mate....

thnx all that helped i pulled them apart n found a small piece of steal from i dunno where in the vacuum line was surprised it didnt go into the enginge..... but problem fixed n the bike running good as gold...

cheers
tim