PDA

View Full Version : Vepor Digital Dash RPM Interferance Problem

JaffaZd
20-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Getting an interferance problem on the z900 with the Vepor Dash Rpm everytime the bike comes onto a heavy load, the Dash RPM seems to jump all over the place usually high like 12000-15000rpm stuff and triggering the shift light.
Usually where it happens is comming onto boost and ramping up through the boost.
but if you sneak it up onto boost slowly no problem dash seems stable.

Notice a few streetfighter guys using these and hoping someone has had the same problem and can help.

I am using the white wire for tacho input and connecting this to the coil neg/trigger side (from memory)

Thanks
Jaffa

sluglie
20-08-2006, 11:45 PM
have one of these fitted myself and never had a problem with it (plus a few other guys i know) but none of us are running turbo's so i am guessing that is where your issue lies,

because your revs come on so strong and quickly i am guessing the vas has a problem picking up the correct impulses from the coil, i would contact the manufaturer if i were you and see what they have to say

Booster
21-08-2006, 08:16 AM
You could try putting a resistor in line , but it may be an indication something is not right, poor connection or ign system fault.

houle john
21-08-2006, 10:16 AM
very important when installing the veypor unit........must be rubber mounted. the mount that comes with the kit is total shit . the only probs i've had thus far is the gauge does not like to get wet . get caught in the rain and all hell brakes loose .

fimpBIKES
21-08-2006, 12:30 PM
have u got the updates installed?

Deano
21-08-2006, 12:53 PM
had the same problem with mine but also had a problem with the speed.

had two new looms on it and reinstalled the updates. in the end it was swapped over for a brand new veypor. they tested my unit and cant find anything wrong with it.

after may emails to nathan at nonlinear engineering if was suggested that the loom may have been running to close to the spark plug leads and picking up some interferance from them. i have tried a surpressor in the power source but didn't make a difference. i also had the unit turning on and off by itself aswell. this was fixed by wiring the veypor on its own circuit instead of the ignition circuit. best to use the tacho output istead of the coil wire.

i also thourght that vibration may have been a problem but the pcb is designed so that vibs wont effect it. Nathan also mentioned that the only way to kill a veyor through water ingestion was to power the unit up and drop it in a bucket of water. They have recovered veypors even after dropping them in water.

good luck

JaffaZd
21-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Slugie
Yep good idea have sent of an email to the manufactures to see if they can shed some light on the problem

Booster
Hmm i wouldn't even know where to start with a resistor eg what sort size etc (elec stuff i have no idea without a wiring diagram [xx(] )
Hmm yes i though maybe an elec problem as well so changed coils and made no difference. Had it on an occiloscope on the dyno and ignition system seems strong.

Toecutter
Take your point will rubber mount unit better to see if this makes a difference

fimpBIKE
Will go and find these updates and load up ,. didn't realise there was any ,.. actually just found it in the manual thanks for the tip

Deano
Ahh shit that is the one i didn't want to hear :( so in the end did you get the problem sorted out with another unit?
Hmmm my loom does run close to coils, within a couple of inches, will relocate this as far away as possible to see if it makes a difference.

The only thing i could think of is the resistance in the coils must be changing when under heavy load which could be upsetting the Veypor unit ,..I am really just stabbing in the dark at this as have no idea on elec stuff anyone able to shed light?

Jaffa

Booster
21-08-2006, 07:39 PM
A resistor will dampen down the signal, too much and there's no signal, too little and there's no difference, if your getting extra voltage spikes that the unit is reading as ign pulses a resistor can dampen them below detectable range. 1/4 watt resistors from Dick Smith or Tandy will be ~10c each try a range 500 ohm, 1k ohms, 5k ohms,or more. use it as a last choice.

Deano
22-08-2006, 12:39 PM
got my probs sorted with a replacement unit and loom. the loom is insulated against interferance but anything is worth a try. Personally i wouldnt bother with the rubber mounting as they aren't reccommending that you throw their mounts away and use something else. They design the unit to work with their mounts.

If you were to use a rubber mount you will struggle to find one small enough to be effective. the unit only weight 106gms and you will struggle to find a rubber mount off the shelf small enough.

good luck

my 2 cents

Hoppa
22-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Hi Jaffa, had a similar problem with the dyna 2000 an the standard tacho. Fitted a 50watt resistor, don't know what that is in ohms but it fixed it. Cheers Hoppa.

veetwo tls
23-08-2006, 11:01 AM
only problem i had with the VR2 was at initial start up/crank over the dash sometimes would blank out so i had to turn ignition off & restart. would be fixed then.
a power spike prob. but since the last up date i done (VASv1.3.6 & VR2 FIRMWARE V1.55) all good now :)

which reminds me update check.

VEYPOR HELP FORUMS:
http://www.veypor.com/forum/index.php

UPDATES: august 19 2006
http://www.veypor.com/downloads.html
http://www.veypor.com/downloadVAS.html

23-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Aaaah just bugger that tech-head shit off and go for a simple speedo only.
You don't need a tacho or shift lights or any of that other fancy shit, REAL MEN know what's going on between there legs [8D][^]

JaffaZd
25-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Hi Guys
just a quick update ,.. moved the wiring away from the coils and loaded up the lattest software updates. Thanks veetwo tls for the links .
Turned the filters up to max for the ignition signal.
This seems to have fixed the problem, will no more when i get to take it for a decent spin only managed a quick 10k loop.

Chalk10 I was close mate real close

Veetwo tls , you still looking at Turbon the TLs, I have one as well and have had a decent look at how 2.

Thanks for all the help and feedback guys.
Jaffa