PDA

View Full Version : Keeping focus during a project

15-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Or how to stop changing your mind .

Any advice guys ?

Was forced to take a 4 day break by the Boss. (young fella's take care of ya back). Well I started thinking, bad thing for me not much exp at it, and decided 17" laced wheels would be cool so manage to get what I want (I'm sure The Wreckers are in league with the mind controlling Aliens).Rear's no problem, change me mind on which front hub to use but that's now sorted.

Now I'm starting to think again, musta lost my meds, and I'm thinking alot of stuffing around to get the Suzuki gear into the Honda frame. So now more thinking (now this is bad, the thinking bit), would it be a Good Thing to start with a GSX frame and adapt the Honda tank,side panels and seat to the GSX frame.

*)No stuffing around swapping stems (hopefully) and boring top clamps.
*)Swingarm is from a GSX so that seems like a no brainer.
*)GSXR --> GSX frame is well documented (dunno about those CAD drawings on oldskool some reckon they aint quite right)
*)Maybe easier to rego cos of 1100 in a 1100 rather than a 1100 in a 900.
*)In essence I was only really after the look of the CB.

Any opinions ?
Am I copping out or making a sensible decision ?

I may have a lead on GSX frame but am open to offers :)

sharky
15-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Cop out...It'll be just another gsx/gixer [B)]

chopaweeza
15-09-2008, 04:45 PM
The reality is you have to look inside yourself , think real hard on the sort of bike you want , the style you want , your skills and anything else that goes into it including the difficulty factor. A GSXR into a GSX is easier than a GSXR into a CB but it depends on what you want. If time & money are a controlling factor then it's an easier choice but if you have a higher level of skill and eithermoney or time aren't an option then it's alot harder. Personally , I go over a design for at least 4-6 weeks before I start locking elements of the design in. Then I lock in 70-90% of the bike and stick to that . Things like body work ,tank , bars and other stuff I leave til the bike is starting to form to finalise my ideas . When I have the engine in the frame sitting on the wheels I get great ideas on finishing it that previously I hadn't considered and these often work out better than my original one's anyway. Keeping focused is hard so break the build down into sub assemblies or jobs. Like rear wheel assembly , instruments , foot controls etc and make a job sheet up to help keep track of stuff. Job sheets also help you when you walk into the shed and normally spend 10 minutes trying to decide on what to work on next too.

In the end , it will be your bike so build whatever you like and enjoy it.

ninjaboy
15-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Wise words there chopaweeza. Your right about the job sheets. I got sick of sitting and looking at my bike for half an hour deciding what should be done next. So i would write a list and when i wanted to work on the bike i could get started straight away. This also helped the whole mind changing business, the more i stared at my bike the more i would change my mind, fucken drove me nuts!!! But that's half the fun....isn't it?