PDA

View Full Version : Noise

WarHound
09-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Started the GSXF yesterday and noticed the motor was really ticky. Got louder if I reved it but after the bike warmed up it seemed to disapear. I had to ride it to work so I took off to work. When I got home Liz told me I dropped a heap of water on the concrete in the garage when I left? I also noticed a lot of water under the bike when I left from work yesterday. Being Oil cooled this has me puzzled. The tick in the engine seemed worse going home and seemed to be way louder when going from 0 - 5000 revs but was almost non exsistant after 5000 revs. I was wondering if anyone has any idea whats going on considering my knowlege is limited to the basics. I checked the oil on it this morning and it still seems to be full although it looks to me there is some oil in the belly pan. I havent ridden it since and I am going to strip the tuppaware off it tonight and start looking for the problem. in the meantime any advise would be greatly appreciated. I want this engine to last until I save my pennys for an 1127 to throw in it 8)

Chase
09-09-2008, 08:37 AM
I had a VF750 about a decade ago that had similar issues with noise etc, but thought it may last till the end of the week - it dropped a rod and fkd the block. Best bet it to get it checked by a pro before you do too much damage.

pappas
09-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Check your valve clearences. Here's the specs for the 750. I'd drop the oil as well and put some high quality stuff in there. I've been told the oil cooled motors are noisy at the best of times.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/687367386114119.JPG

WarHound
09-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the info I am not planning on riding it until I get it looked at 8) .. The great bonus is I have a whole other GSXF sitting in the garage that only stopped daily riding a couple of months ago so if its serious I can do an engine swap without too much issue. I really want to drop a bandit motor in it but dont have the cash right now for one. When I rode the bike there were no performance issues other than a little backfire when dropping quickly off the throttle. I will get the plastic off it tonight and get back to you guys. I have never done valve clearances .. Is it difficult?? I wanna learn how to do more of that kind of thing so I dont have to take the bike to mechanics unless I am stuck. I do a lot of my own stuff now but delving into the motor is a new experience 8)
Thanks for the advice though
Mark

pappas
09-09-2008, 11:03 AM
It's fairly easy, PM me and I'll send you the how to from the manual.

WarHound
10-09-2008, 08:35 AM
Sent the PM .. found an oil leak in the hose to the cooler... could that be adding to the problem ?

WarHound
11-09-2008, 08:39 PM
OK, fixed the oil leak. O'ring was fucked. replaced. Still got the ticking noise but now instead of going away at 5000rpm it disappears at 3000rpm. Any more ideas?

Hillsy
11-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Maybe check your header pipe gaskets - sometimes a leak there sounds like a tick.

WarHound
12-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Yeah I think I will do that too .. When the motor comes on .. there's a loud ticking .. if you grab the trottle for a quick squirt it get very loud and metallic ... but if you ease up to 3000 revs it slowly quietens off until you can barely hear it ... from 3000 up there is no noise. if you back off quickly the bike gives off a small backfire. Thats pretty much all the info ... I will have a look at the headers when I get home tonight and may have a go at the valve clearences and check the cam chain but these are things I havent done before.. A bit warey but then I have another motor so what the hell 8)