PDA

View Full Version : advice/help/opinons

scotty mac
08-09-2008, 10:44 AM
just wondering any gsx-r gurus out there have had a sproket shaft bearing collapse on them. its happened to me the other week i haven't dropped the oil yet. all i've done so far is take the front sprocket off and saw shards of metal then got the shits n left it there. the motor is locked in top gear n won't budge. basicaly jus wondering how expensive this could end up being.

cheers scotty

DCRacing
08-09-2008, 11:47 AM
What model engine is it, i would think you are at least looking at a set of gaskets and splitting the cases, and a new bearing. i gather you were travelling when it all locked up?
so there could be tooth damage to the gears and the selectors could have got a bit bent.
I am only guessing, there are guys on here that know a heap more on the GSXR than me.

scotty mac
08-09-2008, 12:08 PM
its a 91 750 with about 80 000k's on the clock. i was thinkin i'd had to change evey seal n bearing and maybe even a rebuild depending on how much shrapnel has gone thru the motor.
i was on the highway when it let go doing 110k. jus cruising.

slickncghia
08-09-2008, 12:13 PM
dosent sound cheap. whats a new engine worth ? maybe an 11? just a thought

Deano
08-09-2008, 06:01 PM
the problem is you are opening up an old engine that has done a bit of work, you cant really say what it would cost till it is a part and you see what else needs replacing. you could find out the main bearings are quite worn, gearbox dogs are nearly rounded off etc. a cheap fix today might cost you 3 times as much tomorrow.

i guess you have 2 options really. cheap fix and only replace described damaged parts like bearing and seal i would say $200 if you do it all yourself.

or buy another motor and put that in and cross you fingers that it is better that the motor you taking out.

i would suspect you selectors will be ok as long as i hasn't been jumping out of gear or it didn't jump out of gear when it let go. with that many km on them they may be close to the min thickness tho.

get yourself a manual and give it a go your self it isn't that hard a job just time consuming.

08-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Hey throw a '79 CB-900 in it. I know someone who's selling one ;) hahahahaha

scotty mac
09-09-2008, 06:04 PM
ha ha ha ha good one. the suzuki'd never forgive me lol.
quote:Originally posted by bladehunter

Hey throw a '79 CB-900 in it. I know someone who's selling one ;) hahahahaha

scotty mac
09-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Deano; i was thinkin of doin what ya said but could shards of gone thru the whole engine? would i need to replace every seal n bearing and mayeb even rebuild?
in the long run it might work out cheaper to get a later model b12 donk maybe?

09-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Hey if I can get away with what I'm doing anyone can.....actually all jokes aside the guys at Metro's did that (CB-9 into GSXR)and had a very could result at Bathurst so the story goes