PDA

View Full Version : Old warped brake discs.

sharky
18-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Just wondering if my old floating discs are any use ?
If the discs are warped is it the carrier or the rotor (or both) at fault ?
Is there an easy way to check, short of dial gauge etc at an engineering shop ?
Probably seems a dumb question...but not if you don't know the answer...
Thought I'd check before I bin them.....

18-08-2006, 09:29 PM
just sell em to another dumb cunt on ebay
or theres a bloke in Brizzy who reco's floaters but i cant remember his name.but charges about $12 less than buying a new Goodridge
disks need to be extremely hot and abused before they will warp,knock up ya own dial gauge and check ya rim while ya there

gibbo
19-08-2006, 12:15 AM
Pretty sure I spoke to Rod at awesome discs a while back and he said there isn't much drama repairing them because it is usually the rivets (or whatever you call em) that are the problem.

pt
19-08-2006, 10:09 AM
except for some reason the suzuki flat discs can't be re-riveted.

Hillsy
21-08-2006, 09:41 AM
I had Dave Kellet true my fronts on the ZX9 when he was straightening the sub-frame. Reckons he does them all the time. A decent bike maching / frame straightening shop should be able to do them.

houle john
21-08-2006, 10:09 AM
as gibbo says ,
the floaters are not full floating due to some resistance from the spring washers located at the back of the "rivet" . simply use 2 flat screwdrivers and pop the spring washers away from the disc . this usually cures a slight warp but may not work on overwarped /bent discs . if you don't try you will never know.
cheers

Booster
21-08-2006, 11:48 AM
For those in Vic checkout Max at Planet Tooling in Wantirna sth , he has straightened some fairly bent discs for me from Auction bikes i have brought, can even accurately resize the pin holes (discs can shrink with many heatcycles and buckle as they tighten on the pins)in the stainless and alloy in one operation.

clairebear
21-08-2006, 12:47 PM
i'm with Davo, get new ones. worth it. less hassle, better stopping. (important aspect)