PDA

View Full Version : A question of brakes and hubs

05-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Hi guys, just a couple of questions

Now that I've got the CB\GSXR project going my thoughts have turned to wheels.

At the moment I've a complete GSXR-1100K front end that I'm using wheels and discs and the rest and I've got a 4.5 wide rim for the rear so running the cast wheels is a no brainer.
Now this is where things start to get tricky.I want to run wire wheels.Thou I'd still like to be able run the cast wheels for track days
The rear is not a prob as I've scored a '77 GS-750 rear (same as used in the GS thou's) polish it up and relace lace it with a 17x4.25 rim.Thou I'd like to run a lighter weight disc on the rear and go down to 240mm diameter

Now the front.I picked up a XS-650 wheel (simple bearing change and inner spacer and it'll fit the GSXR axle) and I'm now looking for disc options.
Options I've been toying with as the Yammy discs are either 300 or 320 diameter and have shallow offsets (rather not use a overly thick spacer between the hub and disc) and I'd rather not have caliper brackets.Hopefully caliper to spoke clearance will be ok.

1) 98-99 Fireblade discs bore out the carrier (62mm to 64mm) and redrill the carrier on the correct PCD and have a 5mm spacer made up to correct the disc spacing. As this disc has a six bolt pattern I may get away without the need to fill the existing holes.

2) Have a custom carrier made up with a 26mm offset and use the disc outers from the bandit ones I have in the shed.

3) Fill the mounting holes on the bandit disc and redrill to suit the hub with a spacer between hub and disc carrier (inner diameters are the same).

4) This one I'm not sure whether it's viable. Have a hub machined up that is the same dimension wise as the GSXR front hub but to take a laced rim.Would probably be an expensive option but the option is there to use off the shelf discs and spacers.

5) Seek psychological help.

sharky
05-09-2008, 02:32 PM
I'd say the custom hub option....would give you ability to change/replace discs easily...
Say one of the 'custom' discs gets warped...you've got the whole machining thing to go through again....
With the custom hub...its an off the shelf replacement.

Azrael
05-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Id go number 2 if the carrier is flat not dished, if its flat email me the dimensions ill hook u up.