PDA

View Full Version : lumpy front end

andy
05-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Hi , i have just bleed the front brakes and push on them as u do and found the front end 2 b very lumpy. not smooth like my r1 , it feel like the head needs tightened r may b new head bearings r could it b something wrong with the forks, not sure my self any ideas [?]

fimpBIKES
05-09-2008, 08:39 AM
strap down the back, bottle jack under the engine and get the front a bit off the ground

jiggle things about til you figure out whats loose
careful u dont tip her over [:o]

Shadowzone
05-09-2008, 08:58 AM
Head bearings tend to "notch" before wearing out unless you don't do enough mingers in which case you should start because wearing out steering stem bearings naturally is embarrassing and should never be done. To check them (and I doubt it's them although they could just be loose and need a tighten) lift the front end on a jack as suggested and then with the front off the ground moving the steering from side to side will indicate if they have started to notch or have notched as you'll feel it.

How long since your fork oil has been replaced? What's the history on the bike? Have you hit any gutters (or pot holes) at a reasonable pace? Was it a crasher that your repairing? Are your forks maybe slightly bent?

There could be a heap of things wrong with it, but without some more information its too hard to diagnose. Oh and what kind of bike is it?