PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox dramas

AK47
31-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Hey, I just put my srad 750 back together after getting it back from being stolen :( and the arse-bandits have done something to my gearbox.
On startup, it's close to normal, a bit chunky through the gears, but alright. After she's warmed up, I can't change gears or click into neutral while stationary and the clutch slips and pulls the bike forward. Once moving above 15ks it's not too bad, but once stopped again, its the same. Im hoping it's an oil level thing or similar.
Also, can anyone reccomend somewhere good and cheap to get all fluids and filters done in Melbourne? Somewhere close to the city.

BANDITROD
31-08-2008, 12:04 PM
that sounds more like clutch to me mate but i am no expert i am sure someone like deano will be able to help out

Pommy Chopper
31-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Sounds like a clutch issue.

AK47
31-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Nice. That sounds cheaper than a new box!

Shadowzone
31-08-2008, 02:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by AK47

Hey, I just put my srad 750 back together after getting it back from being stolen :( and the arse-bandits have done something to my gearbox.
On start-up, it's close to normal, a bit chunky through the gears, but alright. After she's warmed up, I can't change gears or click into neutral while stationary and the clutch slips and pulls the bike forward. Once moving above 15ks it's not too bad, but once stopped again, its the same. I'm hoping it's an oil level thing or similar.
Also, can anyone recommend somewhere good and cheap to get all fluids and filters done in Melbourne? Somewhere close to the city.

Mate can't help you with Melbourne at all.

The problem sounds to me as though your clutch cable may be stretched or your springs aren't entirely compressing allowing the clutch to re-engage once its warmed up and expanded marginally. How old is your cable? Have you adjusted it? (I know it's a simple thing and a silly question but it may well be all that is required to solve the issue.)

It should be a cheap and simple job to fix. It could also be that the dogs in your gearbox are getting near due to be re-cut although I would think this would be evident with symptoms more along the lines of not positively engaging in gear when shifted sans the clutch. And other symptons which are of a very similar nature to this.

Mate go for the simple fix first and work from there it is generally the simplest thing causing the issue.

Deano
31-08-2008, 07:22 PM
i am with stupid ^^^^^^^sounds like cable adjustment would be the first thing i would look at. just put it on a paddock stand put it in gear pull in the clutch and see if you can rotate the back wheel by hand. the plates will still grab a little but you should be able to turn the wheel still if the cable is correctly adjusted. try tightening the cable and see if there is a difference

Shadowzone
31-08-2008, 09:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by Deano

i am with stupid ^^^^^^^sounds like cable adjustment would be the first thing i would look at. just put it on a paddock stand put it in gear pull in the clutch and see if you can rotate the back wheel by hand. the plates will still grab a little but you should be able to turn the wheel still if the cable is correctly adjusted. try tightening the cable and see if there is a difference

Did I kick your dog Deano? LMAO

Deano
31-08-2008, 10:22 PM
nah mate. guilty till proven innocent;)