PDA

View Full Version : QUICK QUESTION NEED QUICK ANSWER

RED ZX
28-08-2008, 11:26 AM
I just picked up my front wheel with new tyre fitted.

Its a conti Sport Attack.

I think they got the direction of rotation wrong.

Instead of giving a rotation arrow on the tyre like I am used to with car tyres, it seems they have an arrow that should be pointing towards the front of the bike when that part of the tyre is on the bottom/ground. Like this:

>--- FRONT --->

does anyone have these tyres on at the moment that can confirm this for me? That the arrow should be pointing towards the front of the bike while the text it upright?

That arrow points in the opposite direction to the rotation, which is where I think my tyre fitter got confused.

For reference, the back tyre has <---- REAR ----<
but it also points in the correct rotational direction.

Or if it is easier for someone, should the arrow shaped grooves in the tread pattern point the same way front and rear?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Chris.

Chris41
28-08-2008, 11:37 AM
As far as I've experienced, the arrow denotes direction of rotation.

Chris

suxukifreak
28-08-2008, 11:40 AM
The direction arrow on the tyre wall should point in the direction of rotation.
As for the tyre pattern, ive had bike tyres that dont follow what car tyres do.

Or just turn the wheel around ;)

RED ZX
28-08-2008, 11:47 AM
cant turn the wheel around due to speedo drive.

now from looking at pics from their website, it seems it is right after all, just the tread patterns face opposite ways on front to rear

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/tire-tyre-guide/Continental-ContiRoadAttackSportMileageRadial.jpg

Cruisecontrol
28-08-2008, 01:56 PM
I'd buy a set of them just based on the tread pattern...

renegade
28-08-2008, 02:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by RED ZX

cant turn the wheel around due to speedo drive.

now from looking at pics from their website, it seems it is right after all, just the tread patterns face opposite ways on front to rear

that would make sense, seeing as though the main forces placed on the front and back tyre (accelerating and stopping) would push in the opposite direction to each other.

and yes, they do have pretty sweet looking treads btw.

slickncghia
28-08-2008, 04:27 PM
apparently theyre not a bad trye. but i have no personal experience with them. though im considering them atm

Tony Nitrous
28-08-2008, 04:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by renegade

that would make sense, seeing as though the main forces placed on the front and back tyre (accelerating and stopping) would push in the opposite direction to each other.

Correct.

I had a 130 Harley tyre that was rear on a Sportster and
front on something like a Fatboy. Sidewall said....

<--Front--Rear-->

Arrow's indicated forward rotation.

(then again, maybe it was just so Harley Riders could tell
the back from the front..;)..)

Pommy Chopper
28-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Get the tyre round the right way otherwise it will go bang!! Big time!!!!

_M_
28-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Just dont ask brisbane bike tyres for them or you will really know what they could turn into

xb9r
28-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Well as long as its not backward in coming forward 6 to 1 half a dozen to the other same same but different WTF Ill just have another beer

Hillsy
28-08-2008, 07:33 PM
I've got a set on my ZX9 - they seem OK.

Can't say I've really used them in anger, but they haven't given me any moments...

pt
29-08-2008, 08:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by Hillsy

I've got a set on my ZX9 - they seem OK.

Can't say I've really used them in anger, but they haven't given me any moments...

how do they go in the wet? and what about stoppies? i find they are both good tests of a tyre:)