PDA

View Full Version : GSXR Clutches I need some advice

DCRacing
26-08-2008, 09:35 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/33218815494857.JPG

Ok here i have 3 clutches, From the left is 1056 clutch and 5 speed input shaft. 750 L model clutch and 6speed input shaft. 750 G model clutch and rest of motor.
The problem i am having is that the clutch on the G is slipping under acceleration, so i thought easy job, i will pull it out and put in the l model 750 clutch assy, i will also mention that this bike was raced back in the day, but i don't have much data on it other than to say it goes pretty hard for an old bike, better than the L model i have.
Anyway i saw that it had a fine spline input shaft, so pulled out the clutch of the 750 L and Yep, Different. Next i got the 1056 clutch and same deal as before exactly the same set up, apart from more clutches, a coarse spline input shaft.
What i would like to know is whether the G models had a fine spline shaft or ist it a kit that was put into them, like a yoshi hop up kit? If it is a kit it would be different to the later model hopup kits as i have a yoshi close ratio box in another 1056 but it has got the coarse spline input shaft as well.
Any info and advice would be greatly appreciated.
I was aslo looking to put a slipper clutch assy in as well but this may put a stop to it. has any one put slipper clutches in the old oil cooled gixxers before?
Thanks
Sorry for the picture size i will have to work on how to post it smaller.

DCRacing
26-08-2008, 09:37 PM
yeah ok i will just read the section on how to resize images next time.

DCRacing
27-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Thanks Large, now anybody got any help for me?.....anyone......hello hello......is this thing working? ;)

Gix11
27-08-2008, 03:36 PM
I reckon Deano might know this one. I can't even remember if my 1100 is fine or coarse spline??

Deano
27-08-2008, 06:46 PM
what motor are you putting it into?

coarse spline is the norm. fine spline is 750 slabby only. alot like the bandit clutch as you can see with the different plates the basket will look alot different

if you want to interchange any parts then you will need any other gixxer oil cooled model other that slabby 750. eg all 1100 should be coarse spline. 750 from j onwards should be coarse spline.

avoid the 750 clutch like the plague dosn't matter what model, put new plates in your 1052 coil spring clutch and use that, they were the best of the lot. the 750 clutch basket will fly apart as they are cast alloy and don't like torque at all.

DCRacing
27-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Just looking to put it into the 750 new era race bike, 86 model, i have spare 750 clutches but only 1 1100 clutche which was going into the second 1052 engine i am building (slowly tho).
i was looking at putting a 750 L input & output shaft into the rest of the slabby internals, is this possible? guess i will find out soon. i am splitting the cases any way to check tolerances and bearings and go through the rest of the saga of a rebuild.
Any ideas on lightening cranks etc? and trying to reduce rotating mass?
i have done away with the starter clutch assy. and i was actually looking to put the 750 L clutch in, as i don't have too many other options, any ideas on other clutches that might work? or where to source them? i was also going to put in a set of ally plates instead of the steel ones. good idea .. bad idea?

Deano
27-08-2008, 08:16 PM
if it is a 750 motor that the clutch is going into then the 750 clutches will be fine. you should be able to put the 2 gearbox shafts from the later model into the slabby motor. the spacer that the sprocket butts up against on the output shaft will probably be different due to the skinnier wheel on the slabby so the chain dosn't have to be spaced out as far to clear the tyre.

check the tooth count on the clutch gear and make sure they are the same or you will fuck your crank real quick.

don't bother with the lightening of the crank in my opinion. yes it will accellerate quicker but you will also loose torque. i looked at getting it done at one stage and was advised not to do it as torque is valuable. and really you may only loose half a kilo out of a 11kg crankshaft anyway. i would definetely balance the crank though

DCRacing
28-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Thanks Deano your advice is appreciated.

jmw76
20-09-2008, 09:37 PM
I am new to this forum but have some information that may help.
I have a GSXR 1100 G engine.
It has the course spline spring clutch setup.
I have experience clutch slip before and tracked it down to wear in the clutch cage and basket. This was ssimply rectivied by removing pulling it apart and using a small file to take all the burrs off the imnternal basket and external cage. With time the plates cut into these and form a small step. Then they tend to jam resulting in clutch slip.
Since cleaning up my clutch I have had no further problems.

That is before I broke the bearings and input shaft in the box.

I noticed that you seem to have a 1052 input shaft assembly. Is this surpluss to your requirements. It would help get my engine going again.

Cheers

Peter.