PDA

View Full Version : In Braking News

RUSS M8
25-08-2008, 10:14 PM
***The following was written by myself. It is a personal account. I do not represent any other person(s), businesses or organizations, websites ect. ***
I am slightly tired now, please forgive any spelling or grammatical errors...

The following story recounts the events surrounding me trying to purchase a new set of disc brake rotors for one of my motorcycles. The bike in question is a 1994 Yamaha YZF600R. The bike is used on the race track, however I wanted to purchase OEM or similar rotors, no “race specials” or similar. I was after new rotors as the original fitment rotors had worn to their minimum thickness after about 70,000km of reliable service – both on the road and the track.
I first priced up Genuine Yamaha rotors from my local Yamaha dealer, a friend at the shop quoted me a discounted price, this option would have seen me shelling out well over $500 per front rotor! As I needed a pair (and with a second YZF needing rotors in the near future) and 2 rear rotors this wasn’t a viable option.
So I contacted my local bike shop about aftermarket rotors made by British company EBC. These are distributed in Australia by Wayne Gardner Enterprises. Several weeks and many frustrating calls and visits to the spares counter had achieved nothing. The spare parts staff being told by WGE it wasn’t a listing they had in stock, it would need to be a special order, and all the other familiar lines. I stated time wasn’t a concern, but still a set just couldn’t be had.
So I contacted WGE myself. I explained my situation and they were very polite over the phone, but never rang back on any of the 3 separate occasions I contacted them regarding the rotors.
So, I started ringing around the Australian manufacturers of Disc Rotors. I was specifically after round rotors, not the new “wave” design, which ruled out several possible candidates. I then found a company, “Awesome Discs” in Melbourne. They sounded very positive over the phone, and insisted on sending me some rotors to look at, no obligation to buy. They sent rotors for the wrong model, which I returned. They finally (over a month later) sent the correct fitment rotors. I bolted them up, cleaned them, installed a new set of EBC brake pads and headed for Wakefield Park to carefully run them in.
From the first application there was a noticeable shudder through the bike. I checked the system out thoroughly, and couldn’t find any reason other than the rotors themselves. As I was already frustrated with the service Awesome Discs had provided, I returned the discs with a letter stating my frustrations and told them to keep the rotors – as they had forgotten to send an invoice or chase payment at all.
I then contacted “Planet Tooling” (trading as Planet Discs), also in Melbourne. The gentleman on the phone was keen to help out, telling me he builds rotors for road bikes and top racing teams alike, my simple production bike would be no trouble. I sent him my undersize rotors, so he could use my genuine Yamaha carriers to mount his new rotors.
When the Planet Discs did arrive they fitted up beautifully, and with a clean and another set of brand new pads (a must according to all disc rotor suppliers to ensure a good contact face) I headed out to Eastern Creek, relieved a 6 month ordeal had finally ended. How wrong I was. I followed the “running in” recommendations given to me by Planet Tooling, however massive brake shudder was present on all brake applications. Unlike the “Awesome Discs” this vibration was so severe I couldn’t ride on them. I came to the pits and swapped to my spare ratty front wheel with some old (slightly under minimum thickness) genuine Yamaha rotors I had obtained from a wreckers. The shudder instantly disappeared. On a quick inspection I could see run out in the rotor by eye! Over the next 6 months I sent the “Planet Discs” back 3 times due to shudder. 3 times they were returned to me with an assurance of perfect running, as long as I cleaned them and installed new pads prior to use, then ran them in properly.
The discs never ran properly, and finally I sent them back with a letter of demand for a refund. A refund covering only the initial purchase price of the rotors, not the 3 courier trips to Victoria, not the 3 sets of new brake pads, none of the labor time in fitting and removing, and none of my lost track time.
I didn’t get a response from Planet Tooling, so I contacted them, they refused a refund and insisted I take the rotors back for a 3rd time. I said I didn’t want them back as I felt they were unsafe.
When they again refused to refund my purchase price I contacted both the NSW Department of Fair Trading and Consumer Affairs Victoria. Despite both bodies assuring me of a refund, and despite hours of my time on the phone I was finally informed that neither body could help me obtain a refund. Nor could anyone within the consumer protection umbrella. My only option was to start a civil case in a Victorian Court. As an apprentice on less than $500 per week this wasn’t a viable option.
So, still in desperate need of disc rotors I contacted EBC in the UK. I explained what I was after and that my local distributor was unable or unwilling to help. Within 2 weeks and for 1/3 cost of genuine rotors I had 2 sets of rotors and brake pads on my door step.
I have used these rotors on 5 occasions now and have nothing but praise.
I later attempted contact with Planet Tooling, and found only an answering machine. I explained I wanted MY genuine Yamaha disc carriers back that I had sent to them, and that would be the end of the matter. I never received contact back. After 12 months and many hours of wasted time I can’t deal with them any more, I will simply loose nearly 2 weeks pay due to Planet Tooling.
As a sidenote, I am an apprentice Motorcycle Mechanic, so I performed all the labor myself, using genuine Yamaha service data, such as torque specifications. I have never met any employees or representatives of any of the aforementioned companies. And I didn’t ask for favours due to my position in the trade. I didn’t even mention it to EBC in the UK.

Deano
25-08-2008, 10:38 PM
thats not good news at all. i am lead to believe that both planet and awesome discs are a farther and son arrangement. they used to work together then had a dust up and the son went and started up as opposition to his farther.

had a disc straightened by bob martin engineering after huge shudder and first brake application i could tell it was no better.

good luck with anymore action you are going to take regarding this matter.

devo
25-08-2008, 10:46 PM
I hear you Brother, There are and I will say this till my face turns blue too many fuckwits in the trade that have no idea what it is like to deal with someone and apart from thinking their shit don't stink don't deserve to be called trades people.
Just dumb fuck hillbillies . I remember once there was something called a biker community in as such we looked after each other.
I wreckon we put a topic in here on the wankers who do us bad and rubbish them that bad they loose bussiness after all we as a consumer seem to pay the ultimate price for their fuck ups why sholdn't they :(

336LJ
26-08-2008, 04:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by devo

I hear you Brother, There are and I will say this till my face turns blue too many fuckwits in the trade that have no idea what it is like to deal with someone and apart from thinking their shit don't stink don't deserve to be called trades people.
Just dumb fuck hillbillies . I remember once there was something called a biker community in as such we looked after each other.
I wreckon we put a topic in here on the wankers who do us bad and rubbish them that bad they loose bussiness after all we as a consumer seem to pay the ultimate price for their fuck ups why sholdn't they :(

I'm a big fan of threads that hang shit on genuine dodgy pricks. But is there some sort of legal avenue these people can take? like, sue for defamation or something along those lines?

Stocky
26-08-2008, 06:58 AM
I think as long as you only state facts (and they are correct) in a post like this then you are probably ok.

Might be a bit "grey" in the "he said, I said" area though if you have no proof.

latheboy
26-08-2008, 07:15 AM
Thats bad news Russ ... at least it worked out ok even if it was after alot of heart ache... I now simply refuse to buy anything from a bike shop or after market bike parts manufacturer .. Fuck you hippies ill make it myself

Im all for a thread that can warn others of bad dealings with a company, but as Stocky said caution must be had in this matter

EFE 1230
26-08-2008, 07:27 AM
Bummer... was that the old boy Max you were dealing with? He faced my Z9 disc's the other month did a good job but I suppose there not as complicated as floaters! No one here in sa does bike disc machining and he was recommended by a mate in the trade. It's amazing the price/delivery time differences between local importers and sourcing stuff direct from overseas.

zedsled
26-08-2008, 09:09 AM
I had some early gsxr discs done by A guy in Browns Plains near Brisbane, and am pretty happy with his work. He faced the carriers, put on new discs, high quality buttons(that came with a life time gaurantee) He spun them up on a lathe with a dial indicator on disc to show me they were dead true before handing them over. I have now done over 20,000 klms on the with absolutely no sign of wear, no shudder, as good as the day I put them on. Cost: $220 a disc

latheboy
26-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Just to add to my last post .... I got a set of front disc's from Awesome disc's a few years back and i was very happy with them, but it wasn't rod who made them it was a young bloke working there.. I stopped in there a few times and got talking to him and had a bit in common, maybe he did a better job because of that i dont know.. $200 a disc..
I make my own now as its alot cheaper..

damo1
26-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Fuck have a winge Russ:D

That sucks what a shit fight.

Just so you know we dont deal with Gardners any more either cos of there shit staff.[}:)]

Glad to here your back on track.

Tony Nitrous
26-08-2008, 04:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by RUSS M8

*So, still in desperate need of disc rotors I contacted EBC in the UK. I explained what I was after and that my local distributor was unable or unwilling to help. Within 2 weeks and for 1/3 cost of genuine rotors I had 2 sets of rotors and brake pads on my door step.
I have used these rotors on 5 occasions now and have nothing but praise.

Who say's them Pommies dont have their use's...;)

TurboKat
26-08-2008, 05:09 PM
That really sucks balls Russ, FWIW I've had a bad experience with <s>Awful</s> Awesome Discs as well & know of another job he did that he fucked up too so I'd never use him again.
I've got a set of floaters here I was going to take to Max at Planet for straightening (he charges $104 ?? each BTW) but after the way he treated you, he's gunna miss out now.
I might try the mob that trues all my car & bike wheels (Ajax Wheelworks - Moorabbin) & see if they can straighten discs, if not... I'll have a go it myself, how hard could it be?

latheboy
26-08-2008, 05:21 PM
quote:[i]
I might try the mob that trues all my car & bike wheels (Ajax Wheelworks - Moorabbin) & see if they can straighten discs, if not... I'll have a go it myself, how hard could it be?

It's not with a machince shop[8D]:D

pt
26-08-2008, 08:34 PM
is one of the people you are talking about aussie discs? cause i have some of theirs which have a story also.....

timbo
26-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Ok pt lets hear it i was thinking about useing Aussie discs on my thing.

devo
27-08-2008, 04:36 PM
I wonder how Dumb Mother Fucker Idiots who screw people over can sue. After all with documented proof and the bits to proove it I don't think they would be likely to do it.
Besides I think something as such would be laughed out of Court. Oooo but then again the Money they make from ripping off the poor consumer would be enough to buy their weasily arse out of trouble.
I for one am sick of the so called proffesionals who with a brain the size of a pea (oh sorry that makes them smart)a brain that is a measurement of a minus figure can keep getting away with it.
There is a thread on GS resources that does it so I think we should to.:(
Failing that I think we should just get em bend em over and rectal rheeme them with the tools they have no idea how to use.
I thankyou and Good day [B)]