PDA

View Full Version : USD Fork settings

sharky
24-08-2008, 02:15 PM
As I now have more technology than ever before on my forks ('98 R1)......what the fook do the screws etc do ??
Theres the nut with a screw on top on the top of da legs and a lil red bolt on the wheel end of 'em.
Which is which...compression,rebound and preload ?????

sharky
25-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Soooooo...you all have fancy forks but no idea what the settings do ??????;)

Deano
25-08-2008, 09:11 PM
big nut is preload
screw at bottom of fork is compression
screw in middle of big nut on top is rebound

uncle pervy
26-08-2008, 08:47 AM
start off with them all set at the middle setting and adjust from there.
DON'T start at either end of the settings, could result in new parts and paint after you bounce off a tree cause the bike handling went out the window.
oh and generally in means more

Chase
26-08-2008, 01:34 PM
The middle screw is the spring preload - there should be 8 markers on the side when wound out. Turning it clockwise will harden the suspension, recommended is normally 4.5 (1 being the notch closest to the top), but I found cause I've taken off the tupperware mine handles better at 5.5 with the lighter front. The nut is the rebound works same way - about 10 clicks out is right - but set it first with the preload all the way in.

sharky
26-08-2008, 07:49 PM
quote:big nut is preload
screw at bottom of fork is compression
screw in middle of big nut on top is rebound

quote:The middle screw is the spring preload - there should be 8 markers on the side when wound out. Turning it clockwise will harden the suspension, recommended is normally 4.5 (1 being the notch closest to the top), but I found cause I've taken off the tupperware mine handles better at 5.5 with the lighter front.
The nut is the rebound works same way - about 10 clicks out is right - but set it first with the preload all the way in.

Ok Cheers fellas...????? Now I'm really confused....

hooligan
26-08-2008, 08:29 PM
First you complain 'cause there wasn't enough info, and now you're bitching 'cause there's too much....
Pre load- if you're fat you'll need more, makes the forks stiffer in general. On the K3 forks I'm using, I've maxed mine out, as hard as i could make 'em. (No, I'm not fat. Just big boned)
Compression Damping- Slows down the speed with which the forks compress
Rebound Damping - Slows down the rate of extension of the forks (the rate they rebound)

Too much compression damping, and the forks won't soak up bumps, they'll bounce over them. Too much rebound, and the forks will stay compressed after a bump, or after being hard on the brakes, etc.
Still confused (cos I am)?

Deano
26-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Suspension Setup for Dummies

that means you sharky ;)
http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/patrick/articles/suspension_setup/intro.htm

sharky
26-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Easy girls ;)
I was questioning the 2 different versions of what does what...
Deano's seems to make sense...and I would check out the link...but it don't work....but then it is a suzuki...

Cheers Hooly....that makes sense to me.

Chase
27-08-2008, 08:41 AM
R1 front fork settings are here..

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2634179/yzf-r1-manual

Deano
27-08-2008, 06:50 PM
go to www.oldskoolsuzuki.info click on pp pages on the left and you will see a big yello 'suspenison setup for dummies'

xb9r
27-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Give the boys a ring at tem moto Yamahahaha and ask one of the spanner swingers the standard settings for a 98 R1 starting from standard is the best referance point when sorting out ya suspension and only make little adjustments

sharky
27-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Cheers Chase & Deano....I'll look at both
And Xb9r, going there tomoro so I'll ask 'em.

pt
27-08-2008, 10:51 PM
well you should set your static sag properly (via preload) first. then have the others at halfway and see what it feels like. loads of info about how much sag is best, so do what ya like. definitely on the harder side for me. squishy just fucks up ya braking.