PDA

View Full Version : fork seal

damo1
16-08-2006, 08:36 PM
ive got a weeping fork seal on my blade.
my question is ive done fork seals before but on bikes with out
pre load adjusters and dampening adjusters so when i pull the stornchion out of the slider is there going to be bits and pieces of arm (from the adjuster rod and dampening valves)that i need to get apart first or should i just leave it up a shop to sort out?
or will it just come apart easy.

TurboKat
16-08-2006, 09:15 PM
It's a piece of piss Damo, just unscrew the top cap, hold that in a vise or even with a big shifter, unscrew the damper rod from the underside of the top cap & all will be revealed.
The damper rod just slides out of the damper tube, slide the dust seal up, remove the circlip that holds the oil seal in & (carefully) slide hammer the staunchion & slider apart (using the slider as a slide hammer) & voila! easy fork seal replacement.

TurboKat
16-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Oh yeah, see the Racetech link that Booster posted in Jo's "fork springs" topic for recommended oil height & weight - you punch in your bike type, skill level, weight, usage, etc & it gives you a pretty good baseline setting - much better than your workshop manual which is just the standard settings.
I use that Racetech program for setting up all my bikes (road & dirt) & my bikes seem to handle pretty well.
While your at it, a set of fork springs matched to your weight makes a BIG difference in the way the bike rides & handles, I'd say the best cost vs benefit modification you can make especially when you consider that most Jap sports bikes come stock with front springs suited to a 65kg rider & if yours are the originals, then they'll probly have sagged by now as well. Front springs are about $160 a pair or so.

damo1
21-08-2006, 05:46 PM
cheers turbo sounds like a job i can do.