PDA

View Full Version : odd problem with dyna ignition pick up

Deano
18-08-2008, 09:51 PM
after fitting a new dyna ignition a month or so ago i have found an odd problem on saturday at a track day at broardford. after i came from a session there would be oil everywhere, i ended up tracking the problem down to the grommet that the wires on the dyna go through,

it would seem that the 4 wires loosly go though the grommet and there is a fifth hole in the middle of the 4. you can just make it out in the pic. it is shown better in the other pic with a bit of tie wire through the hole.

has anyone else had a problem like this? how the bloody hell in the grommet ment to seal in the oil when there is a hole about 1mm dia with nothing blocking it off and very loose wires through the other holes.

i want to keep the dyna on as it seems to really liven the bike up.

any ideas?

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/152116373210426.JPG

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/152116373195481.JPG

DCRacing
18-08-2008, 09:55 PM
I would just get out the Silastic or some sort of similar sealant and clog it up. If you re worried about the heat use a high temp sealant but standard ultrablue would be fine. I think.

Deano
18-08-2008, 09:58 PM
nothing like getting your tyre, wheel and brake assembly covered in bloody oil. believe it or not there wash acutally oil dripping off the brake caliper, didn't make any differece to the stopping power as i don't use the rear brake at all.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/152116373224663.JPG

DCRacing
18-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Deano are you racing New era or just out punting around at track days? I am trying to race NE1 and also a punt in NE2, but end up mainly running the NE2 bike as it is a 7/11 that i bought of Devo, it is a nice bit of kit that seems to have the right stuff.
I like the look of your rear caliper bracket, and the wheels don't look like the stock ones, what mods do you have done? and is the Dyna ignition worth it? I have just got a new set of Dyna coils, and was wondering if the rest of the system would be worth the trouble.

Deano
18-08-2008, 10:30 PM
i started racing this year and have done 3 rounds so far. bike made 113hp on a dyno dynamics dyno (132hp is everyone elses language) at the wheel, quite good for a stock motor.

specs are

92 gsxr 750, total loss ignition, marvic mag wheels, stock 1100w motor with 39mm fcr carbs, dyna ignition, ohlins rear shock with 10.5kg spring, gold valves in forks with 1kg springs. adjustable shock mount, modified triple clamps with 3mm less offset, bike still comes in at around 185kg. they were quite a heavy bike when they went to water cooling,

found the dyna quite good but had changed alot since the last race. also had it on the dyno and slightly changed the jetting also took about 10kg of weight out of it over the winter break. so it is hard to tell exactly how much differnce the dyna made. quite annnoyed to have this sort of problem from a 'quality' product

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/15211637371474.JPG

Benz
19-08-2008, 12:40 AM
Am I missing something here?
I thought the ignition cover, and grommet,etc. are there to keep crap out, not hold oil in........?
Isn't there a seal around the crank,which might be leaking a bit, under pressure, maybe..... Does your oil pressure sensor live in there too? If so,I bet the sender is the leak, I had the same thing happen on the kwak motor, couldn't understand where the oil was coming from, initially
Tell me I'm wrong, I can handle it!

Deano
19-08-2008, 07:09 AM
everything behind the ingnition cover is in oil. no seal at all.

DCRacing
19-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Mate that is a sweet as, puts my poor efforts to shame, what sort of swingarm have you got in it? Where did you get the rims from, i think i need a set. What did you do to get the rake changed on the triples? and what have you done to get the weight down, i have the 1990 7/11 down to 188 and the 1989 750 down to 179kg. i am running total loss in both and no starters, i set up yamaha motogp style starter using a 9inch angle grinder, yes i know it is not strictly in the rules, but the racing up here is fairly loose at the moment with both classes NE1 & NE2 put all together and some fairly heavily modified bikes. I am currently working on a custom wiring loom and slowly working through any other mod i can think of to increase performance and handling. I am going to try and build a 750 motor out to 950 but i am taking my time on that one.

DCRacing
19-08-2008, 08:21 AM
i Also have a spare fiberglass ducktail, unpainted and pretty much brand new if you are interested in it. i got it for 1 of the gixxers and was too much trouble to make it fit.

2ndclasscitizen
19-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Hey, did you have a blue fairing on that thing at Broadford? I was there on my ZX-6R fighter that day and spotted a pair of ASF hoodies hanging around.

alfiestorm
19-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Had that problem before I put a small machine screw in the hole, with the head of the screw facing out so no chance of it falling through to the pick ups.
Use a screw or something similar that is just a bit bigger than the hole, this expands the rubber just enough to make a better all round seal as well.

alf

Deano
19-08-2008, 06:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by DCRacing

i Also have a spare fiberglass ducktail, unpainted and pretty much brand new if you are interested in it. i got it for 1 of the gixxers and was too much trouble to make it fit.

the oil cooled body work is totally different so unless it is for a watercooled model it wont fit.

Deano
19-08-2008, 06:52 PM

Mate that is a sweet as, puts my poor efforts to shame, what sort of swingarm have you got in it? Where did you get the rims from, i think i need a set. What did you do to get the rake changed on the triples? and what have you done to get the weight down, i have the 1990 7/11 down to 188 and the 1989 750 down to 179kg. i am running total loss in both and no starters, i set up yamaha motogp style starter using a 9inch angle grinder, yes i know it is not strictly in the rules, but the racing up here is fairly loose at the moment with both classes NE1 & NE2 put all together and some fairly heavily modified bikes. I am currently working on a custom wiring loom and slowly working through any other mod i can think of to increase performance and handling. I am going to try and build a 750 motor out to 950 but i am taking my time on that one.

when i brought the bike it was an ex 95,95 superbike. the guy that raced it brought it new did 2000km on the road to run it in and then turned it into a race bike. came with the marvic wheels, flatslides carbs plus stock carbs all the road gear minus farings, moulds for fibreglass fairings, heaps of spares, stands, gearing and chains, spare wheels etc. all the suspension was done but i have since put the 10.5kg spring on the ohlins and had it serviced.

since i brought it i have put in the 1100 motor as the 750 was to highly strung, made 139hp at the wheel but avgas was getting to hard and expensive to get, also the $110 spark plugs would keep you broke. the 1100 if so much more user freindly.

the bloke i brought it off worked with the guy that raced it all those years ago, he was doing the domestic superbike rounds in 94,95 and then just did club racing for a year or so after that, it was sitting in a shed for about 8 years before been sold for $2000 to the guy i brought it from. when that guy brought it the cv carbs leaked so the then new flatslides were fitted and tuned, the guy also put the alternator and starter back on, put in the inner guards and big standard battery and wiring to surport the starting and charging circuit.

i have since reversed these mods aswell as cutting off the back of the sub frame that is no been used and made up a new fairing/clock mount bracket. fitted the dyna just recently adn put in a smaller battery. also took off some other parts or replaced with lighter parts.

bike has done 1.42 around phillip island (not me riding though) and 0.58.9 around broardford. untill i get near these times i think this bike will be fast enough for me.

thats if i can stop the bloody oil coming out.

Deano
19-08-2008, 06:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by 2ndclasscitizen

Hey, did you have a blue fairing on that thing at Broadford? I was there on my ZX-6R fighter that day and spotted a pair of ASF hoodies hanging around.

yep that was me. was cruising around in the middle group.
did yours have the buell lights?. were you in my group?

Deano
19-08-2008, 06:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by alfiestorm

Had that problem before I put a small machine screw in the hole, with the head of the screw facing out so no chance of it falling through to the pick ups.
Use a screw or something similar that is just a bit bigger than the hole, this expands the rubber just enough to make a better all round seal as well.

alf

good tip mate thanks

Deano
19-08-2008, 06:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by Deano

when i brought the bike it was an ex 95,95 superbike. the guy that raced it brought it new did 2000km on the road to run it in and then turned it into a race bike. came with the marvic wheels, flatslides carbs plus stock carbs all the road gear minus farings, moulds for fibreglass fairings, heaps of spares, stands, gearing and chains, spare wheels etc. all the suspension was done but i have since put the 10.5kg spring on the ohlins and had it serviced.

since i brought it i have put in the 1100 motor as the 750 was to highly strung, made 139hp at the wheel but avgas was getting to hard and expensive to get, also the $110 spark plugs would keep you broke. the 1100 if so much more user freindly.

the bloke i brought it off worked with the guy that raced it all those years ago, he was doing the domestic superbike rounds in 94,95 and then just did club racing for a year or so after that, it was sitting in a shed for about 8 years before been sold for $2000 to the guy i brought it from. when that guy brought it the cv carbs leaked so the then new flatslides were fitted and tuned, the guy also put the alternator and starter back on, put in the inner guards and big standard battery and wiring to surport the starting and charging circuit. he also had the fairings and wheels painted and new tyres, i then brought it with all the gear about 2 yrs ago for $3500

i have since reversed the above mods aswell as cutting off the back of the sub frame that is no been used and made up a new fairing/clock mount bracket. fitted the dyna just recently adn put in a smaller battery. also took off some other parts or replaced with lighter parts.

the guy that built and raced it was a engineer so things like the caliper mount bracket have been lightened, the tripple clamps were bored out bigger in the stem and an encentric bush fitted.

bike has done 1.42 around phillip island (not me riding though) and 0.58.9 around broardford. untill i get near these times i think this bike will be fast enough for me.

thats if i can stop the bloody oil coming out.

DCRacing
19-08-2008, 07:33 PM
What has happened to the 750? are you hanging onto it or have you thought about selling it? If nothing else i could take a few ideas from it to apply to my old gixxers. In the pic of your bike it looks like a swing arm off a RGV, Would you think that is what it is? i am trying to put a 06 R1 swingarm into a L model chassis, i hope this will have the desired effect with the performance of the bike, ie lighter and stronger.

2ndclasscitizen
19-08-2008, 07:41 PM

Yeah, mine's got the Buell lights and screen, black with red bellypan. Moved up to the middle group after rounding up basically everyone in the slow group.

Deano
19-08-2008, 09:38 PM
swingarm is standard 92/93 watercooled arm. it has been slotted in the chain adjusters so the wheel base is 15mm shorter.

the motor was built by phil taiton has longer conrods with a spacer plate under the barells, lightened crank yoshi cams, yoshi ignitor box, titanium collets nad retainers, ported, welded and reworked combustion chambers standard pistons manual cam chain tensioner.

i have adjustable dog bones adjustable ride height bracket on the frame, the back has been raised aobut 30mm and the forks are pushed through the triples as far as they could go and thats about 32mm. very radical but handles well and dosn't head shake at all.

cant think what else.
i just took out the 750 and put in under the bench, might come out one day.

Deano
19-08-2008, 09:39 PM

Yeah, mine's got the Buell lights and screen, black with red bellypan. Moved up to the middle group after rounding up basically everyone in the slow group.

i should have gone up a group as well. but carving up the group was a little fun, especially in the wet.