PDA

View Full Version : Repairable write-off - VIV inspection - help

wackyrider
07-08-2008, 10:28 PM
When buying a repairable write off from an auction, what classifies them as a repairable and not a statuatory?

Does it mean that the frame should still be good??

Thinking of going to the auctions next week

2ndclasscitizen
08-08-2008, 12:41 AM
Not sure really. Bloke at work went off on his 6, wound up with a pretty damn big dent in the frame and it wasn't a stat writeoff, but you seem some bikes at places like Motorcycle Disposals that are statutory writeoffs that aren't as badly damaged as other repairable ones.

Bear
08-08-2008, 11:13 PM
Stat means the insurer considers the frame buggared (stretched, bent, stressed or twisted) and consequently has black-listed the frame number (my frame was fine but the rest of the bike looked such a mess that they stat'd it the day of auction).

Repairable means just that. It's re-registerable as is, engine and frame (once blueslipped).

atomic
09-08-2008, 12:10 AM
bear is right on the money thats what the difference is between them both

Booster
09-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Repairable doesn't mean the frame is straight, just that the assessor couldn't see anything obvious.

zrxmick
10-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Both our bikes where repairable write offs, the ZRX was noted as having a bent frame, of course this was a couple of years back, BME did the repairs and when it came down to the VIV test the BME invoice was as good as gold.

Pommy Chopper
10-08-2008, 05:44 PM
I know in Vic any bike with ANY damage to the frame is a stat write off, that could be as minimal as a scratch!

chopaweeza
10-08-2008, 06:13 PM
In most states except Victoria the formula is either 4 points of damage on the frame(this includes the Sub Frame in some states) or clear damage to the neck area other than alignment . Points include Scratches , dents , grinds , cracks , breaks , bends and distortions . And it literally comes down to how thorough the inspector is .

Matt
10-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Stat pretty much means that the insurer feels that the bike could not be safely repaired. Repairable is usually just so becuase it wasnt financially viable for them.

wackyrider
12-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Cheers for the info guys. Off to the uctions 2morrow, so fingers crossed that i find something

Zbike
13-08-2008, 12:49 AM
how did u go.
Also its worth nothing.
A steal frame can have dents in it and more damage compared to an alloy one before it gets the stats write of listing.

DCRacing
13-08-2008, 11:35 AM
When they decide to make it a non repairable write off what do they 'X' out the vin number on the chassis or anything, or do they put it on a database which flags them as being a void vin number, sort like the stolen vin number thing maybe.

Bear
13-08-2008, 12:03 PM
They inform the RTA/Vic roads etc database. You can do an on-line search to see if any engine number or frame number is black listed. Once blacklisted, there's no way back = throw it away or put it to track use, make a sea anchor out of it, throw it at the neighbours, cook with it, practice grinding on it, add it to the shrine for the God's of Speed....

chopaweeza
13-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Sometimes they strike the frame number out sometimes they don't . Sometimes they remover the compliance plate and sometimes they don't. It's really up to you to check beforehand whether the VIN is still legal and their is a lovely disclaimer the auctions use so you have limited come back if something listed as a repairable is a SW . And to add to the confusion the insurers will sometimes sell a Repairable and then after you have it file the paperwork to write it off so even a REVS check is of limited use . No guarantee's mate either way unless the bike is clearly a write off

wackyrider
13-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Cheers boys. Just gort me a present from the auctions

w195
14-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Gonna tell us what sort of present ya got?

wackyrider
14-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Bought myself an R1. Its under the my ride section (Xmas cam early this year)

wackyrider
14-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Ok, so fot the bike, but now I need to get a VIV inspection and stuff to get it regisered.

So, has anyone done this b4? What is required to get the VIV?
What are the standards?
I don't wan to put a fairing on, wil that be a prob?

sharky
14-08-2008, 08:22 PM
With mine I kept all receipts for parts used to repair it as well as doing a stat dec. stating that I rebuilt myself.
Basically the VIV is just checking its legit, the roadworthy tests its safe...ish.
Do ya self a favour and rebuild it nice and tidy, get it legal then mod it.

w195
14-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Yeah mate keepin it nice and stock seems to be the go. My mate recently picked up a RWO Daytona. All he did was replace fairings and indicators and got the RWC(He does own a panel shop tho, dont know if that helped) and he's got a bloody tidy bike for next to nix.

Zbike
16-08-2008, 12:55 AM
VIV checks engine numbers and looks for stolen parts.
Also cost about $400
Your supposed to have all recipts of work done,
But ive never had any problems and gone without been fine so far.