PDA

View Full Version : wheel weights question

edstar78
07-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Just wondering if you could help me out with a problem i have had for a litte while (88 gsxr 750 original). When braking firmly there is a 'vibration' in the front end. I can't feel anything in the brake lever, and i doubt it is the rotors because they have done very little work in the time this prob has come up (200kms maybe), but have a spare fron wheel and rotors i can try. The obvious things look good ie. pads, pistons working, wheel and stem bearings seem ok.. One thing i have noticed though is a possible missing wheel balancing weight. There is one on the rhs of the front wheel rim, but only the double sided tape on the lhs. (there is one on each side of the rear wheel). So i am wondering two things
1. are balancing weights always applied to each side? which means i am missing one? or is this just tape left on for a rebalance a while ago?
2.Are the weights on each side usually equal?- ie- should i get an equal weight and stick it back on the other side?
cheers lads!

Jockney Rebel
07-08-2008, 11:21 PM
balance weights are usually opposite the valve somewhere,,a rough way of checking the wheel is to stick the axle on 2 axle stands and spin it
it should stop with the valve at the bottom without weights if its balanced ok it will stop at a different point every time

TurboKat
07-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Double check your steering bearings Ed, they're the most likely cause if it's not a warped rotor.

Weaselman
08-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Im with TurboKat

Also for the sake of it have a look at your wheel bearings