PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Slipping mobil 1 ??

JaffaZd
14-08-2006, 01:11 PM
I have an interesting one
Changed the oil in both my bikes Z900 and TL1000 about 6-7weeks ago and decided to try some liquid gold mobil 1 all seemed ok
I took the z900 for a spin about 3-4weeks ago and noticed the clutch slipping at first i just decided the clutch must not be up to the old duties anymore and put the bike away in discussed.
Then finally go the TL1000 out of the normal trunddling around town duties and on the open road and low and behold it's bloody clutch was slipping as well.
So the question is for both bikes to do the clutches at the same time is a long shot could it be this Mobil 1 , just want to see if anybody else has had the problem before i go dropping the liquid gold out, or purchasing new clutches either way it works out expensive.

Booster
14-08-2006, 02:27 PM
I have heard of other TL's having clutch troubles on occassion and your turbo bike well it is to be expected ;)they were probably slipping a little but not enough to notice till you used a better oil.
If your plates are in good order and your stack height is ok try shimming the springs acouple of mm's (old sparkplug washers seem to fit ok) or buy better springs..

14-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Just quietly,change your oil!

FIGHTERMC
15-08-2006, 06:51 AM
Go with what mad mundy says.just a question is it car or bike oil you have
put in them.

sickboy
15-08-2006, 08:28 AM
If its car oil ,BAD, they are not friction modified, that is they are not suitable for wet clutches found in motorcycles.

Booster
15-08-2006, 08:36 AM
There are some interesting articles on oils here
http://www.xs11.com/stories/mcnoil94.htm
http://www.dansmc.com/4stroke_oil.htm
http://www.dansmc.com/4stroke_oil.htm
Personally i'm a big fan of synthetic oil especially in a turbo engine with higher pressures and temp .

15-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Car oils have friction modifiers ADDED to them, which is a benefit for cars because they run a seperate clutch/box unit. Putting car engine oil into you're Jap bike engine is somewhat akin to dipping your brake pads into the engine oil. Not a real good idea.

Time for a very very good oil change, and maybe get the drive plates in you're clutch looked at (how long did you say they had been soaking up this oil for?), might have to bake the crap out of them.

Booster
15-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Jaffa are you using bike or car oil, i thought from your first post that it was bike oil.

JaffaZd
15-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the replies guys

Yep that explains that.
Looks like i will be draining the oil and hope it hasn't done any damage to the clutch plates in both bikes.
I didn't even give it a thought about bike or car oil when i was putting in the oil [:I]
Hmmm Lesson Learnt, I feel like a real [:o)], well truth be known i probably am :D

Large
15-08-2006, 07:24 PM
My brother works for Mobil...so I put the bike version of Mobil1 in the GSXR, but the clutch made funny graunchy noises on a hard start.

I had a whinge to my bro about it but he reckons some bikes love it and some don't. Most newer bikes should be ok though.

Incidendtly the car stuff is so slippery some mates of mine who race cars wont use it as it wears out cams in a funny way because the lifters dont spin or somesuch