PDA

View Full Version : Starting on the ZX9R

336LJ
04-08-2008, 12:40 AM
I'm due to have the head stem bearings replaced (flogged to shit). And figured while the thing is apart, it would make fitting risers for the new bars easier.

Just having a browse through the ausfr site, had my eye on these items.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/728823788282666.jpg

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/72882378828489.jpg

Has anyone bought these dash units? good points vs bad points compared to the acewell or other units. and I am completely lost as to what size risers and bars I should get.
I also saw they have the comfort kits, with everything needed to fit (billet top yoke with risers, superbike bars, brake lines, anything else)

I still have to work out what I want to do with the air ducting when it comes to ripping all the plastic shit off the front. By the sounds of it I'll need to have the carbs re jetted, and the bike dyno tuned afterwards?

And finally. I'm open to all suggestions regarding tail sections, and pretty much anything else cosmetic. I'd like to get my hands one a single seat unit, something shorter, but not someting that ends at your arsecrack. the mrs is up the duff and I'm not allowed to bring any more girls home on the bike so the pillion seat can fook off.

I'v seen a few things that I really like the look of, but am still looking for some inspiration, while not trying to copy someone elses ideas! Just trying to kick start this project in the coming months (hopefully weeks)

I'm keen to hear what everyone thinks, and maybe ideas you'd like to see done, that someone like me (borderline retarded) can achieve.
I refuse to put the side fairings back on, so the rest of its giving me the shits!

Gix11
04-08-2008, 04:53 PM
I have a motogadget like that mate. From reports it seems that anyone who owns a digital dash run from a magnetic pickup sensor (like this one) will tell you that your speedo will be a guide as opposed to a precision speedometer from here on in. If that does not bother you then it is a nice compact unit and looks great. It has all the bells and whistles that you will use for one week and then forget about (apart from the top speed logger that you will check when your mate takes it out and tells you he "just took it easy around the block") but it does have a decent tacho for guaging your fuel and the idiot lights are clear (if you get that as an add-on as well). Also keeps the road worthy guys and coppers happy. The alloy body is easy to keep clean and will not buzz like plastic Acewell units might due to the solid build.

336LJ
04-08-2008, 06:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

I have a motogadget like that mate. From reports it seems that anyone who owns a digital dash run from a magnetic pickup sensor (like this one) will tell you that your speedo will be a guide as opposed to a precision speedometer from here on in. If that does not bother you then it is a nice compact unit and looks great. It has all the bells and whistles that you will use for one week and then forget about (apart from the top speed logger that you will check when your mate takes it out and tells you he "just took it easy around the block") but it does have a decent tacho for guaging your fuel and the idiot lights are clear (if you get that as an add-on as well). Also keeps the road worthy guys and coppers happy. The alloy body is easy to keep clean and will not buzz like plastic Acewell units might due to the solid build.

Awesome thanks for the info, I'm seriously considering it, mostly cause of the looks, and the size. the cheaper version of that one looks huge.
Speedo's, or lack of, dont worry me at all, I had the gauge end of the speedo cable in the torry twist off and land at my feet, So I drove around with that not working for months.
Just used the tacho or kept with the rest of the idiots on the road who seem to do 10k under everywhere.

rod185651
04-08-2008, 09:11 PM
When I ripped off the nose cone on my ZX9 I was also worried about ripping off the air induction, but you shouldn't have any problems, just ensure you remove all the induction hoses from the carbies also If you just remove the air induction to the air box she might struggle to get over 60km/h. Sorry about the guard I promised ya, got kinda caught up with improving the performance and brakes and I have diverted from the plan of replacing the front guard. If you decide to re-route the wiring to the inside of the frame, make sure you insulate the wiring.. I didn't and the wiring melted. Check out the sub frame Billy Bob used on his CBR, it looks outstanding,, should inspire you. That's all I can think off right now, can't wait to see some photos of what you decide to do.

336LJ
04-08-2008, 09:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by rod185651

When I ripped off the nose cone on my ZX9 I was also worried about ripping off the air induction, but you shouldn't have any problems, just ensure you remove all the induction hoses from the carbies also If you just remove the air induction to the air box she might struggle to get over 60km/h. Sorry about the guard I promised ya, got kinda caught up with improving the performance and brakes and I have diverted from the plan of replacing the front guard. If you decide to re-route the wiring to the inside of the frame, make sure you insulate the wiring.. I didn't and the wiring melted. Check out the sub frame Billy Bob used on his CBR, it looks outstanding,, should inspire you. That's all I can think off right now, can't wait to see some photos of what you decide to do.

Ah thats good to know, I might get the dash/headlights sooner than I thought, so I can start taking this nose off.
And probably worry about the bars last.(I can move the dash if need be later on)
Hey no worries about the front guard, no rush mate I'm not impatient at all when it comes to help like that.
What on earth caused the wires to melt, is it that hot on top of the engine?? hot wires and I don't mix at all. I'v still got the scars on my hands from trying to rip melting wires off to disconnect them, but only managed to have the melted plastic come off as my hands ran down the red hot metal.
I'll be taking alot of pics along the way.And look forward to both good and bad critisizm [:p]