PDA

View Full Version : No Compliance Plate

-Dex-
03-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Ok, after doing a shitload of work to my bike and finally getting it to a stage where it would pass rego, I took it to get a blue slip only to find that there was no compliance plate on it!

The mechanic said that it would pass the blue slip no worries except for the fact it doesn't have a plate. I am fully aware that this is something I should have checked when I bought the fucking thing but to be honest, I didn't even think about it! Yeah I know, give myself an uppercut.[V]

I tried to get in contact with the previous owner but his phone is disconnected, I tried calling the RTA but the twat on the other end of the phone thought I was talking about number plates and kept trying to explain that they would issue me plates when I had a blueslip/greenslip etc. :(

I was hoping that being an 85 model, that I could get away with running it as a non-complianced bike but that is only for bikes pre 76 according to this: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_19_-_motor_vehicle_compliance_plates_nov_2007.pdf.

So, do you guys have any idea what my next step should be or am I basically fucked?

Pommy Chopper
03-08-2008, 05:07 PM
What's been done to it that would need compliancing??

crazymofo
03-08-2008, 06:15 PM
got the same prob... mine fell off the SV on some ride somewhere out whoop whoop! i too have no idea what to do, however i reckon i'll get mine sorted a lil easier cos of the fact i am still the current rego holder of the bike both before and after the plate went missing. if you just bought the bike, you'll have to show evidence where the bike come from otherwise they may think it is a stolen machine and be very suss on you.

cheers.joe.

-Dex-
03-08-2008, 06:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by Pommy Chopper

What's been done to it that would need compliancing??

The compliance plate I mean is the one that comes with all vehicles when they are brought into the country that signifies that the vehicle conforms to the relevant ADR's. Has VIN, date of manufacture, engine No. etc.

I think you are thinking of the blue plate that they use in QLD to show that modifications have been done???

Crazymofo, I think you should be sweet as it is already registered in your name and all relevant data should be on file. you will need to notify the buyer whenever you sell it though and as I understand it, provide them with a stat dec. explaining how you lost it. Could be wrong there though.

scampy
03-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Dex

I don't know what state you're in, but the info I've had from the WA authorities is you can register a frame without an ADR compliance plate, but you have to register is as an individually constructed vehicle (ICV).

To get an ICV okayed, you need an engineer to sign off on the frame to say it's A-OK, all the welds are good, it can handle the torque of the engine, the stress of operation, blah-di-fucken-blah, which, if it's the stock factory frame, it should be able to do no worries.

I can't imagine the other states would be too much different. I've chatted with people who have done mods on cars and the consensus seems to be WA is one of the more draconian states, so hopefully you'll be all right.

My next step would be, contact the authorities, tell them the problem, and see if you can get it approved as an ICV. It might mean you'll have to strip the bike down again so the frame can be assessed, but worst case scenario is they say "nope, can't use this frame no matter what", then you have to strip the bike down anyway, assuming you can find another, complied frame.

Good luck mate.

-Dex-
03-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the info Scampy.
I actually did look into getting it regoed as an ICV but apparently here in NSW they are quite difficult to get approved. A lot of engineers are very reluctant to sign off on them. Im not sure why but it's what Ive been told by several people who have gone through engineering plenty of times.

I still might have to go down this route but I dont really want to be spending $1000+ on engineering a bike that I have less than $3K in as well as another grand or so registering it. Especially when the mechanic said it was all sweet if not for this plate. I think it'd be cheaper starting again with another bike altogether.

Then pricing insurance on an ICV may also be scary.

chopaweeza
03-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Want an easy out ? Buy a frame with a compliance plate already on it. Problem solved

-Dex-
03-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Know anyone with one for sale???:D

Bear
03-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Yep, buying a replacement frame may be your best way out, I'm afraid. [V]

The RTA basically see your bike as being rebirthed. So you have to prove to them somehow that it's legit. They're coming down hard on bike theft in that area, that's why Engy's don't like signing off on them - they don't want to be linked to a stolen bike.

If you get a replacement frame, you'll have to go for a pit inspection ($420 approx.) and provide receipts for the frame and the rest of the bike.
The RTA may also want to know the new frame's old Rego plate number and what State it was regoed in (I know - lotsa bullshit to go through).
Call the RTA techo line and ask them about replacement frames or engine swapping and see what you have to go through.

New factory frames don't come with compliance plates, btw, only complete bikes, so you'll have to get a 2nd hand one.

chopaweeza
04-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Am I assuming a Gizzer Dex? Slabbies come up from time to time and put a Wanted posting up to get a wider group of people looking for you. I had one about 8 weeks ago but didn't even get it unloaded before someone offered market value for it . They go quick but take heart as they do come up every few months. If you need a hand with the swap over give me a yell and if I'm off I'll lend a hand.

fimpBIKES
04-08-2008, 01:15 PM
my kat has no compliance plate
on the rego papers it simply says "no comliance" in the plate number part

totally legal apparently, but mine had previously been engineered/rego'd like that so maybe thats why?

scotty mac
04-08-2008, 01:57 PM
if ya got the last rego paper work your right. but if you don't you need another frame.

-Dex-
04-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Thanks heaps Wayne thats awesome mate. If I do go down that road I'll give it a crack myself and bring it to you after Ive fucked it up :)

Fimp and Scotty, thats good news. Hopefully I can track down the PO and get the old rego papers off him as it has definitely been regoed previously. I have the old number plate. ;)

fimpBIKES
05-08-2008, 12:45 PM
they should have it on file at the RTA shouldnt they?

chopaweeza
05-08-2008, 05:04 PM
In NSW it's super tough when they don't have a CP and they jump you if you don't . RTA closed out alot of loopholes , have shut down many places that weren't following the strict RTA regs and have made it tough to get it sorted. It's actually easier for me to get a home made frame with no numbers passed then to get one with no CP passed.