PDA

View Full Version : auction bikes and Keys - Advice?

RED ZX
03-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Hello all.

I am planning on getting a bike on the 19th at the auctions.

Just a quick question, do most bikes come with a key?
How will I know which ones have a key with them etc? is it as simple as seeing if there is a key in the barrel during the inspection time, or will I need to ask someone from the auctions?

Thanks in advance,
Chris.

Large
03-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Should say key/no key in the catalogue

RED ZX
03-08-2008, 04:50 PM
sweet, was hoping it would be simple like that.

Thanks Large

Dark Reign
03-08-2008, 05:48 PM
or if it doesnt there is a gate house where most of the keys are kept, there will be a person there that can tell you which lots have keys. ;)

RED ZX
03-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Awesome, thanks for the help guys.

Hopefully it will not be long before I have my own basic fighter.

Bear
03-08-2008, 09:42 PM
In case you don't know - If it doesn't have a key, add another $1000min to the cost of getting a replacement key/ignition/engine management module. They are all coded/linked together and you can't buy them seperate, if it's a modern sportsbike.

There are ways around this but it's still gonna cost you over $1000.

Yamahas, in particular, have a Red master key that you can get copies off from Yamaha. But if you don't have the Red Master key, you're up for the complete system.

RED ZX
04-08-2008, 10:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bear

In case you don't know - If it doesn't have a key, add another $1000min to the cost of getting a replacement key/ignition/engine management module. They are all coded/linked together and you can't buy them seperate, if it's a modern sportsbike.

There are ways around this but it's still gonna cost you over $1000.

Yamahas, in particular, have a Red master key that you can get copies off from Yamaha. But if you don't have the Red Master key, you're up for the complete system.

yeah I was aware of this, thats the reason I was asking about keys for them.

ashcook
05-08-2008, 10:16 PM
quote:

A mate just bought an 07 R6 without a key. Got told a few hundred over the phone. Took it in to get done and was then told over 3 grand. Told them to get stuffed now can't get around it without spending at least $1500. Be careful of what you get told.

cheers