PDA

View Full Version : Who is the local fibreglass Expert. I have an idea

Res7
02-08-2008, 10:42 AM
If you know about fibreglass products I may be onto something good.
Please reply and i'll contact you.
If it has not been done before, It could be a new big thing in custom mods made easy for all of us.
I'm Really exited, but I'm keeping the details under my hat till i can look further into it.
YOU may be able to help and be part of the revolution.
Or not.
But god damn I want it to work.
Cheers.

Booster
02-08-2008, 11:38 AM
PM Ozkat
You won't get a reply till Monday though.

Res7
02-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks Booster.

ozkat
03-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Yeah im here, ill try to help.

Res7
03-08-2008, 09:56 PM
I have marched forward into probable doom. I'll let you all know how i go.
Cheers.

JackTar
04-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Shit mate bit fuckin dramatic aren't ya.

Azrael
04-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Revolution? like dance dance revolution? or the french one with the head chopping in the pushed up boobies?

latheboy
05-08-2008, 07:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by Azrael

Revolution? like dance dance revolution? or the french one with the head chopping in the pushed up boobies?

Then the running away?:D;)

Dont hold out on us Res... you have a time table of 2 days to get a working model of you idea, get onto it:D

Res7
06-08-2008, 09:03 PM
It works really well. Are you ready for it?........................LYCRA.
Thats right, I said Lycra!
I stretched lycra over my fuel tank and painted it with fibreglass resin.
AND IT WORKED.....
It came out very stiff and now i can glass over it to make it stronger.
The whole idea was to cover the crappy part of the tank thatused to be connected to the fairings.
But in the process decided to make some other cool shapes with "kneed it".
It came out really well. Will post pics sometime when i am home in the daylight to take them.
now that i have used it with that application, I'm thinking of using it for my tail section build.
Yes it was dramatic but I got your attention. I did use 2 layers of Lycra to make it thick enough to be rigid if anyone is gonna try it. and i did miss a spot, but thats easy fixed.
The only issue, which was part of the plan anyway, is that there had to be somewhere that the Lycra gathered.
This part didn't get resin as i am planning to cut it out and fix it when i glass.
I only did a quick shop for the material and it isn't as strechy as bike shorts, so different stretchy stuff will prolly work better. Prolly just have to do another layer or 2 to make it stiff enough.
It has come out really well for a first go though.
I really suck with fibreglass though.
Never really got thae hang of it. I always seem to end up with heaps of lumps.
So if anyone wants to check it out and maybe give me a hand I'd be more than keen to drop by or have visitors.
Cheers for the intrest guys, and i hope it gives others inspiration.
Of coures this could be common knowledge in which case I feel like a knob for building it up.
Cheers, Kane.

ozzy1100
07-08-2008, 11:13 AM
the car audio boys have been doing this for over 10 yrs
have done plenty when i was building
any material that stretch both ways will do the job . myself i found lycra 2 closed cell and expensive
what worked really well was 2 way stretch cloth (speaker cloth) but both work really well
what i liked 2 do was glass on the back 2 give strengh and use the finsh on the cloth so there was less finishing for paint
all i had 2 do was sand 2 flanten lumps and spray with putty readdy for paint
there is no end 2 the shapes u can get but what really works is use diff technics on the 1 job 2 get more complex shapes
i started doing the space invader thing like sharky did on 1 of his thanks and cruse did his tail on his bandit
and moved 2 cloth than a combo of both and a few others just depends on the result u want

Res7
07-08-2008, 08:20 PM
My bubble has officialy burst.

ozzy1100
08-08-2008, 05:00 PM
still a great idea all the same res lol