PDA

View Full Version : GT750 Brainstorm

Chucky
26-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Alreight!

I'm about finished building my triumph chop and will be starting my GT750 project next. This bike has been a great work hack and keeps trolloping along despite all my shit maintenance. She deserves a rebuild.

I have a real soft spot for old 80's naked racebikes Z1000J, GS1000, CB1100 so I'm thinking about doing something like that to this ol girl.

I will have a spare rolling chassis soon to make life a fuck load easier but the quetion is what mods to do? Heres what In thinking

Monoshock the rear
Possibly use a VT1100 bevel box and wheel to convert to spokes then relace the hub to a bigger rim and hopefully use this to sort out any offset issues
replace front end with late 90's CBR900 forks and a spoked twindisk wheel
Home made Slab yokes
Home made rearsets
Dyna S Ignition
Twin Weber carbies (like some old CB750 racers) or GPZ750 throttle bodies for EFI with a mega squirt controller
Single seat conversion Z1000J tailpiece
Gilera Ice scooter headlight

let me know your thaughts guys especially with the possbile rear wheel swap options, cos' I really want to run spoked shaft drive.

Cheers muckers,
Chux

EFE 1230
27-07-2008, 12:31 AM
I think one of the us kz shafties had wire rims, the dual dellorto/weber's look tough I've been chasing a manifold set up for my 900 with no luck, they cost almost as much as a turbo set up back in the day.

evad
27-07-2008, 06:27 PM
hey Chux, when you get hte Dyna S be sure to look at the prices Z1 enterprises
US $120 is cheaper than on Dyna's own site
http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=201
I love the old zeds so i'm a bit biased but it will be a great project :D

zedsled
27-07-2008, 09:26 PM
If you go the twin webber road set aside a few months to tune them. they are a great carb set up, I had a set on a 900 once and they made bullshit horsepower, (allthough they didnt like long sweeping cuves) but unless you have access to different size jets, chokes, tubes, valves (these things are very adjustable) and someone with experience tuning them it might get expensive. I've got a spare set of 750 throttle bodies if you go that way. Ive just bought a megasquirt ecu and am going to F.I. my z900 but don't know what im in for yet, but evad was very convincing. I'll see what I can find out about spoke wheels and shaft drives of the z variety.

Jockney Rebel
27-07-2008, 11:44 PM
..swop it to chain drive..it will give u far more options for decent rear end ...ditch the shaft uses too much power..throw a Gpz lump init [ive abused 5 of these bikes courierin them round london] they are inde-fukin-structable..ill be interested to see how u get on mate

Jay_G
28-07-2008, 05:03 PM
This is My GT750 if you are after some inspiration.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9458

The front end is woefull as are the brakes so with any luck they will get upgraded to full usd front end next year.
i dont see you having much luck fitting a single shock conversion on the stock swingarm.

APE do valve seals that will fit and are a fuckload cheaper than OEM
OEM gaskets are fucking expensive $70 odd for a valve cover gasket. Apparently vesrah gaskets aren't brought into aus any more but there appears to be another company making them.

wiseco kit is cheaper than OEM oversize pistons when ordered from the states. Just dont order from proflo in the states, huge fuck around.

Chucky
28-07-2008, 05:14 PM
As for swapping the enigne for a GPZ it's looking more attractive at the mo. Mainly for the extra wheel options and the increased capacity option.

I couldnt find a good looking shaft drive wheel apart from the 1150/1200 bmw stuff, but when you get into the engineering side of things, swapping to chain is WAY cheaper and will get a better end result.

I'm gonna have another GT750 chassis in a week or so. When it arrives I'll start planning. what I do know is that if I swap motors I'll go Z1000J, GPZ1100 or ZR1100, no point keeping it 750. So bear that in mind and keep your ears to the ground ;)

If you wanna check out my old bikes go to photobucket and search for CHUCKYDOWNUNDER.....that way you get an idea of the stuff i'm into.

Keep the advice coming, I really apprieciate it!!

sharky
28-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Look at the Honda Pan Euro wheels. I had an adapter made up and fitted one to a GSX1100G project in the uk.

Chucky
28-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Jay G. Great post mate your bike looks cool I'll take your advice regarding gaskets etc if I go down the route of using the same motor.

I'm pretty stick on a chain conversion but I've still got another 5 beers in the pack so I may change my mind soon ;)

As for the pan euro wheels I'll check em out tonight on t'web.