PDA

View Full Version : Slipper Clutch

rod185651
26-07-2008, 07:32 AM
I lot of the newer bikes come out now with the slipper clutch as standard, lately on a few rides mates on these bikes have said the new slipper clutch makes a lot of difference to the way they handle corners etc. I have seen some advertised such as the "Suter Slipper Clutch". Does any one know much about these? Are they expensive? Are they worth it? And how compatible are they to older bikes like mine which is a 1996 Kawasaki ZX9R.

Lucas
26-07-2008, 08:22 AM
I don't really know too much about them but doesn't a slipper clutch pretty much do away with engine braking?

Fight_fan
26-07-2008, 08:50 AM
The slipper clutch will start to slip if the rear is about to have a compression lock up! It means u can knock down the gears with peace of mind specially through the twisties! Gr8 thing I rekon! U can still lock the rear with the rear brake but it makes it a lot safer! A mate of mine has the '07 model R6 which sports one n he rekons its awesome!

rod185651
26-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Yep exactly right guys, my question was more on the technical side, whether they are compatible to the older engines mechanically speaking? For example Lubrication,,, different engines run better with different grade of oils etc if you fit a slipper clutch to an older engine are you going to cause dramas for yourself finding oil which is suitable for both the engine and also the clutch? Are slipper clutches even made to fit older engines?

pt
27-07-2008, 11:01 PM
hey rod wait till TK comes on here. there was some talk of your era Kwaks (specifically the 9s) coming out with psuedo slipper clutches from the factory. apart from that there are a few brands that make them aftermarket, but i would bet that they don't go that far back. it's a case of measure up and make it fit somehow i think...

pt
27-07-2008, 11:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by pt

hey rod wait till TK comes on here. there was some talk of your era Kwaks (specifically the 9s) coming out with psuedo slipper clutches from the factory. apart from that there are a few brands that make them aftermarket, but i would bet that they don't go that far back. it's a case of measure up and make it fit somehow i think...

here is a link i found on google

http://www.bikersoracle.com/zx9/forum/showthread.php?p=29899

Matt
28-07-2008, 01:00 PM
A guy I was speaking to today about the new Honda CBR1000 said the slipper holds the revs on them to 4ooorpm and slips the rest. He reckons it pretty much fucks the engine braking. I havent ridden one yet though so I'm only going off what he said. I like my engine braking too much.

rod185651
28-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Cheers Pete for the link, so what they are saying is al the B class ZX9s and ZX7s came with the slipper clutch as standard,,, you just have to know how to change the plates to "activate" it. Has anyone from here heard of this or done this themselves?

pt
28-07-2008, 09:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by rod185651

Cheers Pete for the link, so what they are saying is al the B class ZX9s and ZX7s came with the slipper clutch as standard,,, you just have to know how to change the plates to "activate" it. Has anyone from here heard of this or done this themselves?

try the kwaka forum?

Bear
28-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Rod, most of the slippers I know of (dirtbike orientated) don't use any clutch plates or sintered friction plates - they bolt onto or adapt to the exisiting clutch and have bearing type balls in ramps for engagement and slippage, so therefore they should be ok with standard engine oil.