PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki GSXR750 1993 Electrical????

Finplan
23-07-2008, 07:20 AM
Been having problems for a while with fouling plugs...get it going and it runs OK but wont start next time....new plugs solved problem for a time....took off carbs cleaned , checked etc replaced and balanced etc...still nothing...checked leads no spark on 1 & 2 cylinders....leads checked out ok individually...next took off coil packs....cylinders 1 & 4 go to 1 pack and 2 & 3 to the other...Packs checked out OK...whats left??? has to be the Igniter???? Any way to check this out????? any suggestions or anyone else had electrical/similar problems with Gixxer....If its the igniter any suggestions where I could pick up a second hand one.....This is really pissing me off as this is the second ride day at oran park I have missed in as many weeks.
Thanks

EXBEN
23-07-2008, 10:45 AM
what fuel you running ?

scotty
23-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Imolsion tubes

Deano
23-07-2008, 06:06 PM
float hieghts? they have a big impact at low rpm

devo
23-07-2008, 06:49 PM
I would try your plug caps, test your resistance and see , coil packs are a big problem on GSXR's.
What plugs do you run ?? what pilots are you using ??
Most of the time your coils play up when hot also remember the leads are only held into the coils with a clip , check your connections.
And yes what fuel , the best fuel I find is Vortex not the high octane but the other .

23-07-2008, 07:26 PM
I currently have the same problem,check your signal generator and Ignitor.you'll need to take the ignitor to a bike shop as resistance values need to be checked with a special unit.Your signal generator can be checked with an ohmmeter but i dont know the resistance specs for your model.Chances are if your coils are testing ok then the problem exists before them...(igniter).
Fuelling may be an issue,but only if you've fucked with your carbs recently,otherwise all four cylinders should be fouling.
And yes...IC Igniters and signal generators dont last forever.
cheers

Large
23-07-2008, 07:30 PM
I thought 1 coil did cylinder 1 and 3 and the other did 2 and 4?

23-07-2008, 07:34 PM
my bike is 1+4 - 2+3.But its an earlier model.

Pommy Chopper
23-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Should be 1 and 3 on one coil and 2 and 4 on t'other!!!!

Deano
23-07-2008, 08:58 PM
they are 1&4 and 2&3.

Pommy Chopper
23-07-2008, 09:00 PM
That'll be why it don't run any sense then!!!!

Finplan
24-07-2008, 06:04 PM
SORRY...TOTALLY FUCKED UP TOO MANY LATE NIGHTS

1 & 4 AND 2 & 3.. ARE CORRECT
I will pull of igniter and take it to be tested...Carbs OK...Coil Packs OK Leads OK Clips OK wireing OK I have always run BP Ultimate 98 without a problem...
If it aint the ignited then I'm Totally Fucked.

Benz
24-07-2008, 08:30 PM
So the wiring from the pick-ups to the igniter is good too? Could be the connection to the pickups, maybe....
Just tryin to think of other possibilities before you tear out the igniter, and can't check anything else first.

Deano
24-07-2008, 10:48 PM
you can make a new wiring loom for those things easy enough with some 7 core flex trailer wire, it would be a total loss but it will dismiss any problems with your existing loom. i can give you the pinouts on the ignitor box and other detail to make it if you need.

Finplan
08-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Any one know where i can pick up a used igniter and signal generator????????????????????

Finplan
14-08-2008, 09:31 PM
OK I'm running iridium plugs cr9eix which is the equiv of cr9ek...we have double checked everything once more and it now looks like the plugs...the iridiums appear to spark on the "inside" and not from the tip..I am going to get standard plugs and see what happens....anyone else had same problem or an explanation...the last 2 sets of plugs were iridium and low kms before they stuffed up...I didnt assume plugs because of low kms...we get plenty of "test" spark using a wire stuffed in plug lead to bike frame so ruled out igniter etc....i'm fucked if i know

Benz
15-08-2008, 11:39 AM
There has to be a reason you are fouling plugs........ Iridiums are in my supercharged commodore, and have been for years, generally speaking, they are shithot.
Your carbies might be rich on the idle jets, to foul plugs so much.
Try yet another set of [standard]plugs, and turn the idle screws in a 1/4 of a turn [easy to say.....!].
It could also be high float height settings,[like Deano said....] a blocked carb ventilator hose[two of them, usually running back over the top of the original airbox], could be bad earthing connections to the motor, or frame, or coils.......or the resistors in the plug caps have badly rusted.............lotsa fun.....:(
My slabby 1108 would not hot start, and would run rough down low until I leaned off the idle jets, and the problem went away.On a cold day, you should have to use the choke to start, otherwise it may be rich idle cicuits.
I can't remember now, but does your engine need resistor "R" plugs?
If you've got the wrong type of plug, you could be messin with the coil's output by having too small/large a resistance from the plug.
Is your battery fully charged? Sometimes there is enough current to turn the motor over, but not enough to provide starting power, and a decent spark to ignite the fuel mix.
Check your alternator to see if there is enough charge. Should read around 14volts, at around 3000 rpm,[when you get it running, of course!] as a rough guide.
It's probably none of the above,:( but at least you've got some suggestions to try..........[:o)]

Finplan
08-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks to all who replied with assistance.........It wasnt electrical....a mixture of Irridium plugs, petrol,carb balance, petrol tank filter and tune up.
Petrol tank filter had some gunk in it restricting flow at times....Pissed off irridium plugs and running standard NGKs.....Petrol running was 98 octane manual suggests 91 only - now run 91........ carbs balanced and tune up .....all is well now.
Thanks again

Shadowzone
08-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Just for the record even though this has been sorted iridium plugs and bikes don't mix. They tend to foul for no apparent reason when used in bikes. In cars good bikes bad. That's just my experience.

I have also in the past found in carburettor'd bikes that anything that is a 98 octane fuel is not so good. Actually that's not quite true. BP and Shell (the old optimax haven't tried the new V-Power in one yet) tend to start running like a hairy goat around the 2 1/2 tanks mark. then once you revert back to standard el cheapo no frillies fool it resolves the issue fairly quickly. I don't know why. The odd tank here and there to give the carbies a clean out never seems to hurt, but not constantly. Oh and premium (which is only a blend of 98 and 91 octane fuel) never upset my bikes either. But honestly I haven't ever noticed a power difference or improved fuel economy (what's that on a VTR1000) so in my opinion its not worth the extra expense at the bowser. It may work for fool injected bikes but since I've never tried I can't comment on it.

That's just my experience guys. Don't know if it's only me or if others have had similar problems?