PDA

View Full Version : wheel stripes and best way to cut aluminum

Johnnay
08-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Ok, stupid question #1 - how do you put those farking wheel stripes on straight? mine come out either all squiggly or looking like a square... sheesh. Surely there's got to be a better way? I also tried a paintbrush with some paint in a cup - I won't even go into what a gong show that was.

second stupid question - what do you use to get a good straight edge when cutting aluminum (or ally or whatever you lot call it)? I've tried a cutoff saw, my wood chop saw, and of course a hacksaw - all with less than stellar results.

Advice gurus, please....!!

zx12argh
08-07-2008, 03:50 PM
For a decent cut by hand all you'll need is a mitre and a hacksaw really... You should be able to cut through it like butter if the work piece is held securely.

as for strips on wheels? practise... tho I've never done it.

latheboy
08-07-2008, 04:02 PM
I dont know about #1 but for the second question, have you tried a jigsaw or circular saw ... try marking out a straight line and cut about half a mm away from it then file it back and draw file the very last bit ... if you want to get real fancy you could set up a straight edge for the saw to run against ... get a good straight piece for something (steel would be nice) and 2 g-clamps .. then measure from the edge of the blade to the edge of the guide on the saw, make out the line to be cut on the job then offset the straight edge what ever the measurment you got from the saw and clamp it to the job ... now just run the saw down the job with the edge that you measured hard up against the straight edge ... you should be able to cut a straight line this way if i made sence

Bear
08-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Aluminium is an alloy (correct spelling) metal.

You can buy wheel stripes now with a plastic applicator guide that runs along the edge of the rim as it peels off the tape backing and lays the tape.

hooligan
09-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Just about tosay the same thing about the rim stickers, Bear. I used the guide, and it was a piece of piss to use. Did the front wheel with the missus rolling the bike forward 'cos i don't have a front wheel stand, and it still worked.

Johnnay
09-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Cool - the wheel strip guides sound like just the ticket - any pics/examples/links?

as for the cutting, sounds like you're all doing the same as me - I was hoping someone had a brilliant time-saving idea, cos I'm lazy and hate filing. I've seen a bandsaw used on tv that looked like it did a really nice job, but can't afford the tool or the garage space.. I guess I'll keep filing..[V]

Bear
09-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Another way to cut sheet alloy is with a cutting wheel on a grinder and clamp a straight piece of wood on the alloy for the grinder to follow.

Progrip is the rim tape brand with applicator - just make sure you ask for the tape with applicator, because Progrip used to make rim tape without it and if a shop has that old stock, they'll try and palm off the old stock without the applicator.

hooligan
09-07-2008, 04:42 PM
And make sure that the lovely people work in the shop haven't taken progrip applicator out of the pack and given it to someone. Ahem.

gibbo
09-07-2008, 04:47 PM
If you are cutting ally sheet in a straight line then find someone with a guillotine and get them to cut it, good clean cut and done in less than a minute. For curves try tin snips (same as for cutting sheetmetal ) If possible find someone who owns a nibbler or electric shears, takes all the hard workout of it and you will get a nice clean edge.

Johnnay
10-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Ok, progrip, got it.

I can get an air nibbler pretty cheap, so I'll give that a try - wasn't sure if they worked or not. thx for all input...:D