PDA

View Full Version : Running in.........

Tony Nitrous
06-07-2008, 09:43 PM
On the subject of running in new motors, the old question
of "by the book" or "give then a hard life" came up.

Amongst the replies was this........

Word of advice on your running in "hard".If your bike has a warranty issue in it's running in phase and Suzuki come out and inspect the bike they have the ability to plug into your ECU and tell what revs you were doing at what mileage.
I have seen this done and watched a claim of a blown motor after 250 miles on a GSXR get thrown out as the owner had not run the bike on correctly............be warned

The bloke has a Suzuki dealership in the UK and is normaly pretty clued up.

Does it sound legit ?

sharky
06-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Wouldn't suprise me...my Makita batteries have a chip in them that stores all charging info..like how many times they have been recharged and at what rate etc....

oldskool
06-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Im head mechanic at a Suzuki dealer and have never heard of that, be nice to it for 1000k then just ride it.
Our demo fleet get a hidein and run lovly, thrashin a new engine makes the bigend shell surface wavy not smooth which leads to shorter engine life, its mainly a big end issue.

Tony Nitrous
07-07-2008, 05:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by oldskool

Im head mechanic at a Suzuki dealer and have never heard of that,

Yeah, new one on me too.
I understand the logic and agree that it do-able, just never heard of it before.
I know its been done on certain "Super-Cars".

I asked for more info...;)

chopaweeza
07-07-2008, 11:39 AM
I've heard of it being done by several different manufacturers to give them leverage . But , I think that under the letter of the law here they still have honour the warrantee anyway even if the bike was caned during the break in period. Harley Davidson are well known to do anything they can to void the warrantee when it's something like that and have demanded people prove that they have had every part on the bike fitted by a HD Dealer in order to get out of it. I've heard similar about Ducati and others too. But , not running the bike in properly doesn't void the warrantee I think but neither is it a cost free thing either if there is evidence of negligence from what I've been told .

Tony Nitrous
07-07-2008, 04:27 PM
It might be true....

A mate with a 08 Buell 1125R wrote...
yeah they can do that with the buell too

A guy with a late model GSXR750 agreed and said...
not if you know how to re-set the ECU

Tony Nitrous
07-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Mate with a GSXR750K7 says.................

You have the option to reset the followings:
Top speed Traveled
Top RPM Traveled
KM's/Miles Traveled
Remove all history and reset to factory, or stop from accepting any data from a certain point
Load and reprogram different ECU maps... (No need for a Power Commander)
You can also control all your FI codes and sensors from here bypassing the dealer switch mode

The only two things you cannot do are:
Alter the Vin and engine numbers which are programmed in!
Also if any modifications are ever done to the ECU this will show the time and date last modified once you log in to the ECU.

Issues
07-07-2008, 06:22 PM
A bloke I kow was warned about thrashing his subaru during run in when it went for service, jeep also can do it, their ecu will adapt to your driving from what I was told.