PDA

View Full Version : GSXR750 '96/'97

Tathagata
09-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Harro!

Me again. I reckon Ive found the bike. She is a bloody good looker, all done up in the Corona race colours.
Its a '96/'97 bike (built in feb 96 sold in '97). has 50,000kms on it, but appears to be in pretty bloody good nick (the guy took heaps of pics for me). Its a very tidy bike. Was dropped in '99 and thats when it got the repaint (even has been signed on the tank by Chili). There is very slight evidence of the drop (couple of scratches here and there under the fairing) but it looks like a pretty low speed thing.

He wants $6k for it which is a little more than I think its worth, but I figured I would see what you guys think.
Ive been looking around this site and also google, but havent found any real problems with these bikes yet...other than the usual is there something I should be watching out for?

BTW I know I still owe you guys pics of the VTR, but I havent even washed her yet, so you have to wait :)
As soon as I work out wether I should buy this gsxr or not Ill post pics (cant risk you lot beating me to the punch eh? hehe).

Cheers
Stu

pt
09-08-2006, 03:49 PM
mate i've got a 1997gsxr600 so it's essentially the same bike with a little more mumbo. the only thing is that the suzuki automatic cam chain tensioner is a bit shithouse and "should" be changed to a manual one but thats only if its ticking a bit. plenty of info on www.gixxer.com. are you gonna fighter it or leave it as is?[8D]

Booster
09-08-2006, 10:06 PM
+1 on the tensioner, my first sounded like a diesel ~3-3500rpms , a manual tensioner fixed it , i have another now and it has already been done.

Tathagata
10-08-2006, 10:29 AM
The plan is to spend all my cash buying this bike. Then I want to do a 'soft' fighter conversion. Meaning I dont want to go fuking with the subframes or anything too radical just yet. Since this will be my first experience with fightering I just plan on taking off fairings, cleaning up the look of the engine and bits, putting on a nice headlight/dash assembly, things like that.
Nothing that if it doesnt work out, I cant reverse.

Ill get that stuff done and then decide if I want to take it further or not.

Booster
10-08-2006, 11:54 AM
The tail frame is fighter friendly, in 2 pieces & the second seperates just behind the seat.

pt
13-08-2006, 09:06 PM
+1 to what booster said.

i'm nearly finished doing the same thing mate, only annoying bit is moving all the wiring:)

Tathagata
16-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Cool, wiring would be fun. I like that fiddly shit.
As for the tailpiece, Ill have to check it out and see whats around and how they look.
How do people hide waterbottles? do they redesign the bottle itself or what? Often I see bikes that have done the disappearing trick with the coolant bottle, but have never figured out where it went, I figure they must hide it behind the frame.

Im going to start trawling to find a nice mask. I like the front of the Brutale actually, but dont think Ill find one of them easily (or afford one). Maybe a Busa headlight, they look cool.

pt
16-08-2006, 04:58 PM
i just left my waterbottle where it is. it's actually fairly well placed for non-fairing activity:)

Matt
16-08-2006, 06:07 PM
sounds like a fair price to me