PDA

View Full Version : dyna advance curve settings

Deano
06-07-2008, 07:56 PM
fitted a dyna 2000 to my race bike and got it running today. the thing i don't no is what curve number works best with the gsxr1100 motor.

the dyna instructions give you all the specs on each curve but i don't really want to have to do 5 dyno runs to work out what one is best for my motor. the motor is standard except for the fcr39 carbs

also does anyone no if a dyna gets hot at all? i have it in a electronics style case to keep any posible water out but this will mean it will keep the heat in if it generates heat at all.

any ideas?

alfiestorm
06-07-2008, 10:25 PM
try settings 2 or 3 one or those should be right for your motor

Deano
06-07-2008, 10:56 PM
cheers mate

do they make any heat at all?

alfiestorm
08-07-2008, 02:46 AM
Not that I have noticed but I think it would be best to keep it in the air flow. The casing is designed as a heat sink as well as to protect everthing inside hence the ribbing on the case. I dont think it would be advisable to enclose the unit as what heat that is generated could build up to a level that could cuase the unit to fail especially in the Australian climate where it gets fuggin hot.

I had a problem with one unit that got fucked up becuase of water ingress due to the potting compound that was put in at the factory did not seal all the way round.
I now use a stay soft potting compound pushed in around the base of the connector block on the unit and also around the wires on the connector block going away from the unit. had no probs with the new unit in all weathers

alf

08-07-2008, 05:42 PM
does yours have heat sink fins Deano? rekon a small fresh airflo would be desirable.

Deano
08-07-2008, 06:11 PM
it just looks like a regular extruded ally case.

dosent say anthing about needing airflow in the destructions at all. i might just keep an eye on it. and if the case warms up then i no the dyna is getting hot

alfiestorm
08-07-2008, 10:56 PM
If it is one of these. I would keep some sort of air flow just incase

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/24921849716293.jpg

Deano
08-07-2008, 11:01 PM
thats what it is mate. thing is there is no where to put it that isn't in the path of water aswell as air

suck it and see i guess

alfiestorm
09-07-2008, 06:14 AM
Get some soft potting compound, same as used when terminating mineral insulated cables or MI cable as it most commomnly known around the globe.
Your local electrical wholesaler should have the stuff on the shelf or dick smiths etc

hooligan
09-07-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm using one of those on my gixxer, Deano. I haven't had any probs with mine, overheating or water. I've just got it under my seat in the R1 tail. If you're worried about water, I got a can of e.wetprotect from Stu. It's an aerosol that seals electrical components from water, without lowering conductivety. I used to have dramas with my coils in the rain (I'd drop a cylinder) Gave em a spray, and now I can ride in torrential downpours, without a problem.Except for getting soaked.

Deano
09-07-2008, 06:15 PM
the thing is as you can imagine with the race bike everything that is not needed is gone. so i have no inner guards or anything for it to hide behind, it will be in the direct spray off the rear wheel if it rains.

hooligan
09-07-2008, 08:51 PM
I dunno about the race bike, but ask Stu about it. I've parked the bike up and seen water dripping off the ignition coils and it's been fine.. Apparently the video demo is pulling apart a hairdryer, spraying it, then putting it together, turning it on, and throwing it in a bath .