PDA

View Full Version : Can't crack the bolts!

morrigan
06-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Finally started work on caffeinating the GSX250, but I'm stuck. Bearing in mind that this is my first go at this, I'm following the workshop manual down to the letter in most cases.
Removing the camshaft bearing caps is the point I'm at now, but I have a bolt that just won't move. I've cracked the other three bolts, but with this one, the socket's turning on it. Don't want to try to force it.
Any suggestions?

06-07-2008, 07:10 PM
If you can do Ham Fisted well enough and theres room try some vice grips

latheboy
06-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Give it a sharp crack with a hammer and try to do it up alittle then try and undo it ... But if the socket's turning you may have to drill it and use an easy-out .. bear in mind if its really stuck you might have to drill and helicoil it...

morrigan
06-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Hahaha! "If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer"! Might try giving it a sharp crack first, then go for the hamfisted approach. Drilling and helicoiling just doesn't appeal to me for some reason

06-07-2008, 08:26 PM
or if ya can be really careful....grind two flats opposite each other and use a suitable sized spanner but dont take off too much or you'll shear the bolt head off

morrigan
06-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the useful suggestions. Probably won't get a chance to try any of them out for at least a few days - lack of lighting under the carport and late finishes from work:(
While I'm at it, though... I know it's only a two fiddy and no-one gives a f..k, but we all gotta start somewhere.... Gasket kits. I was quoted $248 for a set by SuziParts. That seemed a little extreme to me, but would be a complete kit, and the Suzuki dealers seem to want to sell me one bit at a time, which will possibly work out even more.[?]

Hillsy
06-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Try Bert Kingston in BNE 07 3868 1662. They should have aftermarket kits.

-Dex-
06-07-2008, 08:48 PM
If you have an oxy or butane torch try heating the bolt. The heat will cause it to expand and you should be able to undo it. Ive undone 30+ year old bolts using this method.

morrigan
06-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks Hillsy. I'll give 'em a call.

Dex, I'm a little bit disinclined to put a flame anywhere near it. When I drained the sump, I found that I seem to have fuel in the oil. Not a good look I thought.

oldskool
06-07-2008, 10:11 PM
mate use a single hex socket it will brake ore come out.

Matt
07-07-2008, 12:57 PM
What about that freeze shit in a can?

Gix11
07-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Want to see the most awesome promo video for helicoils? Check out the groovy tunes: CLICK HERE (http://www.streetfighters.com.au/movies/helicoil.wmv) (right click and save as if it doesn't play)

oldskool
07-07-2008, 10:05 PM
That was riveting stuff Si.

Rumbo
07-07-2008, 10:45 PM
You dont wanna drill or grind if you can help it, not in there.
Im sure there is better tools but these are worth the $30 or so if itll fit.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/2492154484705.jpg

Rumbo
07-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Universal socket.
My mate had one of these which he swore by.
I havn't tried them. It cant make it any worse by the sound of it.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/24921544838564.gif

Gix11
08-07-2008, 04:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by oldskool

That was riveting stuff Si.

Seat of your pants material mate. I had to lie down after watching it.

morrigan
09-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Still haven't had a chance to try any of your suggestions... Up to my eyeballs in investigations and there's never any daylight left by the time I get home from work. I guess the weekend's the only... ah shit.. I'm on overtime! Roll on Summer.

scotty
10-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Try heating it up with a heat gun!!!!

morrigan
16-07-2008, 04:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by Hillsy

Try Bert Kingston in BNE 07 3868 1662. They should have aftermarket kits.

I just called Bert. He had a kit in stock. About $112 including registered post!
Thanks for that Hillsy.
And the single hex socket did the trick on the bolt... Bunnings had cheapies for $1 each, so I got 4. Don't expect 'em to last long, but at that price, who's arguing

morrigan
03-08-2008, 06:38 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/72882227362295.jpg

Two questions for my little project -
1. Pulled the barrels off and the pistons have a shit load of carbon build up on top. What's the best method for getting rid of that?

2. Stainless headers. I want to paint them with stove black. What sort of treatment do they need first? Priming? Any recommendations?

-Dex-
03-08-2008, 06:57 PM
1. Try sitting them overnight in some carb cleaner. Just wipe clean in the morning. Worked wonders when I rebuilt an old corolla motor.

2. Dont know sorry. Why do you want to paint stainless? It looks nice with no paint or polished up IMO.

morrigan
03-08-2008, 11:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by -Dex-

Why do you want to paint stainless? It looks nice with no paint or polished up IMO.

RUST!! I've cleaned the headers thoroughly, but there was more than just surface rust. I've taken all the scale off, but they're beyond polishing. No holes, but badly pitted. With a bit of rust converter, they're still ok, but don't look so good.
So, I figured I'd paint the headers black, and the cans can stay all bright and shiny. Doing the same with the engine... paint it black, but polish the ends of the fins. Just got to get everything grit blasted.
Can anyone recommend someone in the west of Sydney?

latheboy
04-08-2008, 07:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by morrigan

quote:Originally posted by -Dex-

Why do you want to paint stainless? It looks nice with no paint or polished up IMO.

RUST!! I've cleaned the headers thoroughly, but there was more than just surface rust. I've taken all the scale off, but they're beyond polishing. No holes, but badly pitted. With a bit of rust converter, they're still ok, but don't look so good.
So, I figured I'd paint the headers black, and the cans can stay all bright and shiny. Doing the same with the engine... paint it black, but polish the ends of the fins. Just got to get everything grit blasted.

Sorry but ummmmm Stainless Dont Rust ...

morrigan
04-08-2008, 09:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

quote:
Sorry but ummmmm Stainless Dont Rust ...

Oh really... What's this then?
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/72882465740598.jpg

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/72882465779395.jpg

Bearing in mind that I have treated the with rust converter.
Stainless rusts when it's been contaminated and also during extended periods of exposure to water,weather and contaminants. I don't know why my headers are so rusted, but I'm taking steps to prevent further corrosion. That's why the question

morrigan
04-08-2008, 10:09 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/72882634652611.jpg

It's not real clear in the pics I've taken, but the crap you see around the studs and on top of the crank case is like greasy, gluey sand... I'm beginning to think that this bike's spent a lot of time on the beach!
The studs were so gummed up with this kind of crap I found it really hard to lift the barrels off... AFTER they were free of the pistons.
I wasn't going to touch the bottom end, but having seen all this stuff fall down in there, I think I'll be cracking the crank case after all.