PDA

View Full Version : So..this engine rebuilding thing...

sharky
02-07-2008, 08:17 PM
I have to split the crankcases and I'm planning to remove the head and barrels for a rebore...
Question is...Are there any unforeseen problems with doing both at the same time ?
For example the cam chain....In a head/barrels off obviously you keep the chain taught and don't drop it...but as the lower case won't be there can I just let it hang loose ?

Jockney Rebel
02-07-2008, 10:23 PM
how did you manage to split the cases without takin the top end off..?

Deano
02-07-2008, 10:24 PM
as long as you have a manual to now the position of the crank versus the position of the cams.

they are very simple usually to get in the right spot. and when you think about it they have to be simple as they are assembled on a production line and the guy putting the cams in looks for a few key marks or something and probably about 20sec later the cams are in the right spot and torqued up.

the key is to get yourself a manual if you have one then you should have no problem later getting the crank an cams timed.

Deano
02-07-2008, 10:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jockney Rebel

how did you manage to split the cases without takin the top end off..?

cant speak for yamaha motors but gsxr's are able to be split without touching the top end. all the case studs are underneath the motor

Jockney Rebel
03-07-2008, 12:12 AM
..see you never stop learnin ..i always thot u had to strip a motor from the top down..[but then most of my work is on ancient deisels out of bloody great diggers .and yeah i do take the sump off to do the big ends..lol just didnt think u could do that with unit construction engine /gearboxes]

pommie02
03-07-2008, 08:01 AM
as deano said...get a manual
Yamaha hide bolts behind oil pumps and other strange places

sharky
03-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Got 2 in fact...xjr and fj manuals...just wasn't sure if there were any problems