PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Tape

Razorback
02-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Anyone know where I can get some of that groovy pipe tape please ?

The Kat's poor old headers are starting to be the most visually detracting part of the bike and Ive always kinda liked the look of taped pipes on a Kat anyway.

Appretiation in anticipation :D

TurboKat
02-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Most serious Speed Shops or Racers Supply places stock it Razor but be warned, I've heard a few stories from different sources that it causes pipes to crack, I've seen a dirtbike header pipe crack at the flange weld less than 12 months after the guy had taped it up so it put me off using it.
HPC ceramic type coating is a better option but it costs around $350 for a 4 into 1 last time I priced it.

BANDITROD
02-07-2008, 09:48 AM
i agree with turbo on this occaision i have used this stuff before and it ended in tears but then i heard of people having success with it

Razorback
02-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Hmm... for $350 Id be inclined to start shopping around for some stainless headers and maybe even a new system. Only thing tnhat turns me off that idea is its all running so nicely now I dont wanna mess with the tuning by swapping exhausts. I will look into the coating though.

What do you think makes it crack ? Heat, pressure ?

Benz
02-07-2008, 11:48 AM
An exhaust fitter/maker friend of mine told me to take the wrapping off my pipes if you want them to last. Apparently the wrap keeps humidity/condensation/water beside the pipe, and the resultant rust does the rest.I've had the first three feet of my commodore system wrapped for 5 years, and it's still okay, but that is a heavy duty 3" dump pipe, so it's not much of a comparison, I s'pose.............
When you wrap the pipes, heat is retained in the exhaust gases, making them flow at a faster rate, so you'll probably find you need to tune the carbs to allow for it anyway.

Razorback
02-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Sheesh... never an easy answer with any related to modifications is there... oh well glad I asked the question rather than just blundering into doing it anyway... I would have been fucken pissed off I did it then my headers fell to bits.

On a more frivilous note... I did come across this lol http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/bgcq_colored_exhaust_wrap.php and as a registered magpie and chaser of any shiny or brightly coloured objects associated with bikes... I could go for some of this hahaha

papa smurf
02-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Your local Auto Barn should keep it or any shop that caters to the doof doof ricer brigade.
I've got it on part of the dragbike exhaust & no problems.;)

Weaselman
02-07-2008, 07:43 PM
header tape is only really intended for cars. On a bike the tape gets wet and your pipes WILL rust if you dont run the motor to dry them out.
The tape can cause cracks but only really if you have thin walled headers as it doesnt let the pipe expand as much as it would in open air.

I've used it on bikes and cars but in reguard to bikes you'd be better with a ceramic or spray on coating for a diffrent look. All you'll manage to do is upset your bike if you use it.
If you have carbies its ok but some fuel injected bikes can have a bit of a spastic attack because of the changed exhaust temp.

It was only ever really intended for cars BUT if you are keep on using it make sure you wear gloves and a dust mask otherwise you are going to be breathing in fibreglass and it gets in your skin and itches to fuck

Dark Reign
02-07-2008, 10:08 PM
i got a price of $220 + post ($30 return) for my 4 into 1 headers up to the joint for the can from HPC in vic. That is for chemical clean and coated inside and out.

Razorback
03-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks guys. I think based on all that I might give the tape a go at least.... based on the following logic...

I NEVER ride in the rain... yes call me a pussy but at 42 Ive done my share and I rarely enjoy it these days so I just flat out try and avoid it. I dont commute on the Kat so I can pick my days.

The headers are the more heavy style black ugly type and they are just getting untidy looking in spots and given the great finish of the rest of the bike its either this or a full new exhaust.

Its carbied so I dont anticipate it having any significant effect on performance or tuning.

I really like the look of taped pipes... there is something boganish and hoony about the look and I know we all appreciate that [8D]

I will have a hunt around here in ADEL and see what I can find... I will put up some pics once done if I decide to go through with it.

Cheers again [^]

Benz
03-07-2008, 05:59 PM
It will probably run a bit richer.
Hotter,faster gases out will mean more 'room' for inlet gases [highly technical speak, I know:D]but that might be a good thing....
I removed the wrap from the extracors on a rally car [in another life..]and the mixtures leaned off, which was actually what I was looking for, at the time.....
I reckon it looks great though, don't get me wrong, Ive had a set of dump pipes on the drag kat wrapped, looked schmick :)

Benz
03-07-2008, 06:12 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/48716836297532.jpg

Only shot I have left of the old beast, after my hard drive when soft...[^]