PDA

View Full Version : ZX9R Steering damper

336LJ
02-07-2008, 03:32 AM
can anyone lend me some advice as to what brand, where I can get it done for a decent price (or can I do it at home)bolt on job n all?.

alot of experienced riders I talk to are saying I should get one, usually after conversations about other things I am noticing with the bike.

I know I'm still a noob so can anyone also explain to me the exact purpose. I'd assume its to stop momentum building up/increasing when things get a bit out of shape and it starts to want to do tank slappers?

latheboy
02-07-2008, 06:34 AM
They do the same job as the pollariser that brock was running .... thats all you need to know .. just nod and smile

TurboKat
02-07-2008, 10:04 AM
You're spot on with the purpose of a damper, if you do any serious sports type riding - GET ONE, you'll always have the psychological edge to be able to go as hard as you want knowing you'll never have a slapper $ that's priceless.
They're easy to fit on the 9, there's a threaded bung welded into the frame spar to mount 1 end & you need a fork clamp/bracket for the other end, then you can use almost any linear type unit available. I've got a Sprint, a cheapie Daytona & an MToby on my bikes & they're all adjustable & all do the same job so save yourself some $$ & get a cheaper one.
In summing up... GET A STEERING DAMPER.

336LJ
02-07-2008, 11:49 AM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

They do the same job as the pollariser that brock was running .... thats all you need to know .. just nod and smile

haha yeah wat the fuck were they thinking

336LJ
02-07-2008, 11:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by TurboKat

You're spot on with the purpose of a damper, if you do any serious sports type riding - GET ONE, you'll always have the psychological edge to be able to go as hard as you want knowing you'll never have a slapper $ that's priceless.
They're easy to fit on the 9, there's a threaded bung welded into the frame spar to mount 1 end & you need a fork clamp/bracket for the other end, then you can use almost any linear type unit available. I've got a Sprint, a cheapie Daytona & an MToby on my bikes & they're all adjustable & all do the same job so save yourself some $$ & get a cheaper one.

Know anywhere I can get one for a decent price. and while I'm at it. I just got quoted $270 EACH, for standard replacement rotors! I'd like to think I could get something flashy looking for that price?
Ah .. back when rotors on the commodore cost me $55 a side :P

Lucas
02-07-2008, 12:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by 336LJ

quote:Originally posted by TurboKat

Know anywhere I can get one for a decent price. and while I'm at it. I just got quoted $270 EACH, for standard replacement rotors! I'd like to think I could get something flashy looking for that price?
Ah .. back when rotors on the commodore cost me $55 a side :P

There was an R1 dampener on egay for $40.

It wouldn't really matter what bike it came from, a dampener is a dampener.

336LJ
02-07-2008, 09:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by Lucas

There was an R1 dampener on egay for $40.

It wouldn't really matter what bike it came from, a dampener is a dampener.

So should I be on the look out for some kind of kit to mount it? or just grab one and have a go? I just figured there would be a whole range of sizes, and different mounting points n all that.

zx12argh
03-07-2008, 12:32 PM
My 12r came with a damper mounted via a tank bracket and triple bracket (hyperpro kit)
I'm relocating the whole lot to mount to the front of the chasis where the old head light mount is and to a fork clamp. All you have to do is make a link between the chassis and the forks and as long as there is clearance and a long enough piston arm that roughly follows a tangent line to the forks travel arc you are sweet.