PDA

View Full Version : Crankcase bolt replacement..

sharky
01-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Is it wise/safe/possible to replace the crankcase bolts with st/st socket heads ?
Or do they need to be high tensile ??
Just a thought I had as I am splitting the cases.....

BANDITROD
01-07-2008, 05:55 PM
totally safe mate i have used s/s socket heads on all of my bikes mate and never had a problem

BANDITROD
01-07-2008, 05:57 PM
btw be carefull cos once st/s bites its prstty easy to strip the thread in the case

latheboy
01-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Sorry to shoot you down rod but SS bolts are ghey as aids ... SS and Al dont go well together, you will end up with corrosion around the thread and it will eat the Al cases ... Not good ... And before you ask ... YES SS does corrode .. I've pull fixed hangers (dyno bolts) out of lime stone cliffs that i've climbed, so what you say ... There were 1 year old and im meant to be trusting my like with them ... SS and AL never mix

Issues
01-07-2008, 07:01 PM
SS would be better to use then steel (for corrosion), but use a good anti seize on them. The Al is the problem. . I have removed stainless bolts from pumps that have rusted away, aluminium that has turned to dust ect and bolts are normally fine. Be aware though that stainless cap screw hexes will strip easier then steel cap heads.

There are many grades of stainless used also, I dont know what the fixed hangers are made from, I doubt they are 304/316, but stainless bolts should not corrode.

01-07-2008, 07:02 PM
waxing the threads is important apparently.

Issues
01-07-2008, 07:14 PM
I would use nickel/graphite or copper base antisieze. Neversieze or coppercoat are 2 brands off top of my head, loctite also make it aswell as others.

morrigan
01-07-2008, 10:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

.. I've pull fixed hangers (dyno bolts) out of lime stone cliffs that i've climbed, so what you say ... There were 1 year old and im meant to be trusting my like with them ... SS and AL never mix

NEVER trust your life to a dyna bolt! Take it from an old rigger, expansion bolts are shit.

latheboy
02-07-2008, 06:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by morrigan

quote:Originally posted by latheboy

.. I've pull fixed hangers (dyno bolts) out of lime stone cliffs that i've climbed, so what you say ... There were 1 year old and im meant to be trusting my like with them ... SS and AL never mix

NEVER trust your life to a dyna bolt! Take it from an old rigger, expansion bolts are shit.

Arh yes they were expansion bolts .. was trying to think of the name but couldnt ..

I doubt they are 304/316 ... They are 316 SS .. Climbers dont fuck around ( must of the time ) with their lives ..

Be aware though that stainless cap screw hexes will strip easier then steel cap heads........... True that.

Issues
02-07-2008, 05:31 PM
316 is soft shit as far as bolts go, I'm suprised that they use it for expansion bolts for climbing. Are these expansion bolt just normal old stainless dyna's or are they climbing specific?