PDA

View Full Version : What is needed for a reparable WriteOff in NSW?

pommybstd
28-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Hey everyone...

I've had a bit of a trawl around the site and can't seem to find the specifics to answer the questions I have.

Basically, I'm going to highly modify a sportsbike from repairable write-off, to full on BlingMeister (gator glass fairings, trick paint, custom parts etc etc). However, I don't see the point in completely repairing a Gixxer1000 (for example) just to get it blueslipped and then passed by the RTA inspectors just to change all the parts again!

So, basically, if i got hold of a bike which had some fairing missing, clutch cover scratches and fairing scraches - would I need to replace/fix it all?

I'm guessing no, cos you see bikes with scratches all the time (unfortunately) but I'm not sure how picky the blueslip or RTA procedures are.

Any help with this would be more than welcome!

p.s. I know that a lot of you are going to suggest the usual fairings-off Streetfighter look, but I like the idea of modifying further, and I think that's in the spirit of this forum :D:D

TA MUCHLY :)

Cruisecontrol
28-06-2008, 04:27 PM
To get the blue slip it just needs to be roadworthy, and the RTA inspectors just need proof that the vehicle has been repaired. So take a bunch of before and after photos to show what has been done and also supply receipts for all the parts you have bought which they will stamp to avoid re-use.
My Bandit was a repairable write-off and it ended up looking nothing like a stocker, but it passed because it was all properly documented.

Lucas
28-06-2008, 04:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Cruisecontrol

My Bandit was a repairable write-off and it ended up looking nothing like a stocker, but it passed because it was all properly documented.

What'dya mean. I've never seen a more stock looking bike before:D

pommybstd
28-06-2008, 05:02 PM
cool, so it's ok if i leave off the bits of fairings that are missing? (i'm just concerned that gator glass fairings aren't RTA/ADR approved to pass everything), and i can leave (for example) scratched levers/engine covers?

fimpBIKES
28-06-2008, 05:09 PM
it'll be fine

the bike mechanics that do the blue slips are normally pretty cool as long as the mods arent dangerous
biggest thing is to keep receipts for repairs and parts

oh and they HATE ebay, so if you get stuff off there then get a mate to "sell" them too you and write a receipt ;)

Bear
28-06-2008, 05:25 PM
My blue-slip was pretty easy and the Pit inspection even easier, although expensive.

My bike is far from standard cosmetically. I just made sure all the lights and mudguards where within the rules.
I had the standard pipes on too.

pommybstd
28-06-2008, 05:51 PM
awesome :D thanks heaps guys... I shall now commence with sourcing a bike and then lying a lot to my wife to cover up how much I'm spending on it!

thank god I have a second income.