PDA

View Full Version : cannot fit gsxr generator without damaging o-ring

gixxer-fixxer
28-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Am I doin wrong.simply fit o-ring and do bolts up evenly.Gone through 2 o-rings at $50 and am fucked off.Is there a trick to this simple install:(

EXBEN
28-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Did you lube it ? A bit of Vasso or grease works wonders.

oldskool
28-06-2008, 12:59 PM
True True!

Deano
28-06-2008, 01:02 PM
go to a bearing shop to buy the orings. they will be about $1 each.

when fitting gsxr oil cooled alternators you must make sure the gears are lined up correctly or you will break the large gear on the clutch basket,

you should be able to slide in the alternator all the way home by hand and there should not be a gap that needs the bolt tension to close that gap. if you don't get it right you will make a huge mess of the gears

gixxer-fixxer
28-06-2008, 01:09 PM
thanks guys, yes I did grease it up, the casing is razor sharp, I may sand it down a bit. Lining up the gears is tricky coz you cant see bugger all and have to do it by feel and also I couldn't push the alternator in by hand at all so I think the casing is biting on the o-ring hence why it is still intact bat sheared half off:)

Deano
28-06-2008, 01:29 PM
sounds like the oring is to big. it should sit proud of the alt case by less than 1mm

gixxer-fixxer
28-06-2008, 02:45 PM
thanks deano. the 2 previous rings were genuine, supposedly for 89 gsxr, They did sit just proud however I think the sharp edges of the casing grab it and the more insertion, the more slicing.I'm definatly goin to blunt the edges of the casing:) Oh and i'm definaty goin to a bearing shop next time,I measured the diameter before fitting just in case and recon it's 80 mm. thanks for that

Deano
28-06-2008, 06:08 PM
also measure the thickness (section) of the oring, they are measured and listed by ID then section, eg 80mm id x 3.5mm section.