PDA

View Full Version : New Motorcycle Policy? Finally a MC riding poli?

Dark Reign
26-06-2008, 08:25 PM
I found this very interesting. What do you think?

QUOTE -

Hi folks,

A mate from the LDP forwarded this draft on to me and asked me to forward it on to bike-riding friends for their comments... Figured posting it here and emailing him back the (useful) comments was the easiest way to go

thoughts anyone?

LDP Policy On Motorcycles

(Draft for comment 17 June 2008)

The Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) believes those who choose to use motorcycles and scooters should not be discouraged by government policies.

The use of motorcycles and scooters is a matter of individual choice. So long as nobody else is likely to be involuntarily harmed by that choice, it is not appropriate for the government to interfere in it.

Motorcycles and scooters represent an economical, convenient and environmentally favourable means of transport that also places fewer demands on roads and other infrastructure.

The LDP will implement the following measures:

1. Ensure that motorcycles and scooters are included in parking facilities, primarily through amendments to the Building Code of Australia.

2. Reduce taxes, tolls and other charges on motorcycles and scooters to no more than a quarter that of cars.

3. Allow motorcycles and scooters to use public transport corridors such as bus and transit lanes.

4. Ensure motorcycle and scooter safety is given the same priority as car safety in road design and construction.

5. Encourage voluntary adoption of European CE standards of safety clothing for motorcyclists, accompanied by accurate labelling.

6. Remove obstacles to the establishment of readily accessible rider training courses at moderate cost.

7. Remove any requirement for front number plates.

8. Make the wearing of helmets optional (while strongly encouraging their use).

These measures are additional to the LDP’s policy on traffic laws, which includes:

9. Set speed limits at, or slightly above, the 85th percentile. This would result in an increase of 10-30 km/h in the limit on roads where drivers felt it was safe to travel at such speeds, while perhaps leading to reductions on less safe roads.

10. Give low priority to enforcement of any traffic laws intended to protect road users from themselves while having no impact on innocent victims.

Discussion

Many people choose to ride motorcycles and scooters for the sheer enjoyment they provide. However, there are also many practical reasons for using them.

Modern motorcycles and scooters are fuel efficient, cheap to operate and have low exhaust emissions. They are also almost completely recyclable.

They represent a very efficient means of transport, occupying a quarter or less of the space required by a car and causing far less road wear. They also require much less room to park and can utilise areas that are not suitable for cars.

For commuters, motorcycles and scooters represent a highly attractive option. They are not subject to the physical constraints of walking or cycling or the scheduling and over-crowding problems of public transport. They can handle traffic density far better than cars and substantially reduce traffic pressure, particularly when replacing single occupant car journeys.

Despite these advantages, state and federal governments regularly ignore motorcycles and scooters or treat them the same as cars. They are also subjected to regulatory controls based on historical perceptions about safety, noise, bikie gangs and other assumed evils.

Parking for motorcycles and scooters tends to be in chronic short supply. In many cases motorcyclists are expected to use and pay for the same parking facilities as cars, despite requiring much smaller areas. Motorcycles are also more vulnerable to bumping by other vehicles and cannot safely display parking tickets, making certain types of parking unsuitable.

Cars are smaller and lighter than trucks and usually charged less to use motorways. Motorcycles are smaller and lighter than cars but are usually required to pay the same toll as cars.

Trucks pay higher registration fees than cars, but motorcycles and scooters are often required to pay the same or similar registration fees as cars.

Motorcyclists are often not permitted to use public transport lanes, despite the fact that they almost never impede buses and other lane users.

The standards for road safety barriers are based on tests involving cars, not motorcycles and scooters. Data on motorcycle safety is seriously deficient.

The safety of motorcycles and scooters is reduced by painting roads with slippery marking paint and using steel plates, hazardous crash barriers, rigid guide posts, light poles, posts and signs close to the roadway.

Deteriorating roads become hazardous due to loose surfaces; cracks are repaired with slippery crack sealant; surfaces are grooved without adequate warning and loose gravel is used on sidetracks and repairs.

Europe has an objective system for rating safety clothing that allows motorcyclists to choose clothing suitable for their needs, but clothing that fails the European standard is sold in Australia and motorcyclists cannot identify it due to a lack of accurate labelling.

There are numerous barriers to the establishment of rider trader courses. Many are the same faced by small businesses anywhere in Australia, but regulatory barriers relating to issues such as liability and business licensing affect rider training providers particularly severely. As a result, there is a shortage of accessible, affordable rider training courses. The result is reduced levels of rider expertise and safety.

Front numberplates on motorcycles and scooters are a hazard to riders and bystanders due to protuberances and sharp edges, as well as constituting an unnecessary cost. The motive for reintroducing them is simply to generate revenue from speed cameras.

Although the wearing of helmets makes great sense, it is not the role of the government to protect people from poor judgement so long as nobody else is harmed. Criminalising the non-wearing of helmets is an unacceptable intrusion into the realm of personal choice.

Further Information

Motorcycle Council of NSW
http://www.mccofnsw.org.au/

Australian Transport Council
http://www.atcouncil.gov.au/

National Road Safety Action Plan
http://www.atcouncil.gov.au/document...nplan_0708.pdf
Australian Government
Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/

National Transport Commission
www.ntc.gov.au

evilkarl
26-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Ahhh I think #8 is hypocritical when read in the context of 4 and 5. Helmets should never be optional. Even a certified knuckle dragger can see the sense in wearing one.

4. Ensure motorcycle and scooter safety is given the same priority as car safety in road design and construction.

5. Encourage voluntary adoption of European CE standards of safety clothing for motorcyclists, accompanied by accurate labelling.

8. Make the wearing of helmets optional (while strongly encouraging their use).

Iceman
26-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Sounds made up to me

TurboKat
26-06-2008, 10:00 PM
To good to be true?
It's everything we as motorcyclists want & need but I can't help thinking it'll never happen because politicians just don't think like that.

Hillsy
26-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Politicking at it's finest........

moog
27-06-2008, 07:19 AM
if its for real they'd fuckin get my vote

Fight_fan
27-06-2008, 07:33 AM
X 1000! It just seems too good to be true hey! Especially reducing taxes to a quarter of that of cars & considering us with regard to safety concerns on road design!
But if they can do it, they have my vote too!

Booster
27-06-2008, 08:18 AM
I do not agree with no helmets but the rest are too much common sense to ever make it thru the political system...

fimpBIKES
27-06-2008, 12:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dark Reign

no more wire rope barriers, sadly i doubt that the government will be tearing them down anytime soon... :(

who DOESNT buy CE Approved gear anyways?
i would prefer for them to stop being so pigheaded and accept the SNELL standard, which would make better helmets more affordable for everyone!!!

9. Set speed limits at, or slightly above, the 85th percentile. This would result in an increase of 10-30 km/h in the limit on roads where drivers felt it was safe to travel at such speeds, while perhaps leading to reductions on less safe roads.

i think this is unreasonable, the 85th percentile driver would be a pretty bloody quick sort of person
but getting it up higher than the 5% driver on a wet night standard that they currently have
or even better (and i have been pushing this idea for AGES)
is to introduce different coloured plates for different levels of driver training, and had different speed limits/zone for each level

eg- base limit is displayed as 50kph
level2 = +10%
level3 = +20% etc

only trouble is that you need different plates for each person....

anyways, i think its BS made up by someone who was smoking too much of the good stuff

morrigan
27-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Helmets/seat belts and speed limits:
http://www.ldp.org.au/federal/policies/traffic_laws.html
Don't know where the rest of it came from...

morrigan
27-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Here's another one:
http://www.nsw.democrats.org.au/policies/transportmotorcycle.html
A bit outdated, especially when you consider that the Democrats are no more!
Plus, a bit more:
http://www.mccofnsw.org.au/a/174.html

Hagarr
27-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Urban fucken myth [:o)]

Phill
28-06-2008, 07:45 AM
it all sounds reasonable.perhaps too good to be true?

Evilkarl has it right though.helmets should still be enforced but as the comments in the report suggest, natural selection will take care of those who think its ok not to wear appropriate safety gear! it only takes a moment of inattention for a car driver to hit a bike through no fault of the rider and the damage can be minimised or avoided through the choice of appropriate (compulsory) safety gear.

As for the road barriers. those frcking wire rope barriers need to go. Ive repaired many heavy vehicles that have hit them. the amount of damage and torn / ripped metal that is involved scares me to think what could happen to a motorcyclist if they hit one at speed!

someone has seen the light on road user fees and number plates. hooray!!

Jockney Rebel
28-06-2008, 07:09 PM
as above and with one added statement what s with these 8" flouro poles sticking out of the road dividing lanes ...fall off and go sliding into them and ur a hospital case and i reckon their also likely to flip ur bike over into the oncoming traffic anyway[theyve just put a load of em round ur way phill]

pps..whats in this statement is almost word for word the same as the mayor of london proposed ...before he was elected ..and after ? he took away our free bike parking amd forgot all about the bus lane thing

Fish
29-06-2008, 10:11 AM
It's not april fools is it? sounds to good to me, however if it isn't bullshit my vote goes to whoever actually put's that shit in place.