PDA

View Full Version : 45 booked for lane splitting, Brisbane

suxukifreak
25-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Just saw a story on 9 news.

45 riders were booked for lane splitting along the Centenary Hwy (brisbane) this morning,
which caused major traffic delays which made more riders do it.

No one here?

Tugun by-pass bike death news video...

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/video.aspx?videoid=93d375c1-0820-417e-93e1-546e2319b4fb&tab=6

alfiestorm
25-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Ti's true the ozzy traffic cops are crunts all over oz not just in sa it seems, donought and coffee funds must be getting low

_M_
25-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Some bloody jealous cager probably complained

Just caught the end of it, where the police chief was saying something about how its too hard to catch us or something, just hope they don't crack down on my route as thats pretty much how my commute go's (splittin' all the way).

jock
25-06-2008, 07:19 PM
is there a link to the story ?

xjrjack01
25-06-2008, 08:03 PM
I wonder if that road had proper guard rails (not those stupid wire things) would those four riders still be alive today?
Just my two cents.

336LJ
25-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Has anyone gone past a cop car thats sitting in the traffic before? I'd wanna do a wheelie or something so they cant catch the plate. but I'd probably flip up onto my back or tank slap my way into the gutter and look like an idiot ;P

Fucking trucks, 4WD mums, and general dipshits on my ride to work at 3pm I just want to be out of that mess of dickheads and up the front where no one can run me over.

Such bullshit how its illegal.

fimpBIKES
26-06-2008, 09:37 AM
i agree, im much more comfortable splitting to the front of the cue then sitting there at the end waving my dick in the wind and waiting for someone to rear end me

this is bullshit!

renegade
26-06-2008, 01:43 PM
can anyone clear this up for me? i have heard that while splitting in moving traffic is illegal, doing it when its completely stopped isnt. does anyone know anything about this. not that it has stopped me before, but it would be nice to know if im going to get pulled up or not.

im in NSW btw.

336LJ
26-06-2008, 02:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by renegade

can anyone clear this up for me? i have heard that while splitting in moving traffic is illegal, doing it when its completely stopped isnt. does anyone know anything about this. not that it has stopped me before, but it would be nice to know if im going to get pulled up or not.

im in NSW btw.

I think you get done for driving without due care and attention, or some other shit. my younger brother explained it, and said try remember the excuse that gets you off with less of a fine .

as for if its moving traffic or not, Im not sure. I think it should be legal if its busy, like afternoons on the bruce highway near the roadworks, I'v ridden like 2 k's on the side of the road.

someone from england I think told me its called filtering? and in other countries you are allowed to do it but not exceed the speed of the traffic by 5kph.

for reasons like this.....http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_GH8D2EqDZs

renegade
26-06-2008, 02:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by 336LJ

im in NSW btw.

I think you get done for driving without due care and attention, or some other shit. my younger brother explained it, and said try remember the excuse that gets you off with less of a fine .

as for if its moving traffic or not, Im not sure. I think it should be legal if its busy, like afternoons on the bruce highway near the roadworks, I'v ridden like 2 k's on the side of the road.

someone from england I think told me its called filtering? and in other countries you are allowed to do it but not exceed the speed of the traffic by 5kph.

for reasons like this.....http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_GH8D2EqDZs

thats just it. i never believed that it would be legal until i read an article in an old "two wheels" magazine yesterday (i think it was the april issue of this year) about "buffering", and right at the end they made a comment about watching out while "filtering" but "you wouldnt be lane splitting in moving traffic because thats illegal"...so it was all a bit hazy to me.

Funkenfresh
26-06-2008, 03:15 PM
ive been toldthat coppers can do ya with swaping lanes without inicating.. so i keep the indicator on... also up the tp of the lanes there is a solid line dividing the lanes.. ive also been told bout that.. to not let your foot go ove the line as its changing lanes without indicating.. ra-de-ra-de-ra-ra... load of shit either way

Fight_fan
26-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Renegade im in NSW & from all accounts I kno of it is illegal! Just like sharing lanes! Its bullshit hey! Just the man tryin to keep us down!

Hillsy
26-06-2008, 04:01 PM
I believe it's illegal because you are not allowed to overtake another vehicle in the same lane. So, if you're lane splitting, you must be overtaking at least one of the cars while you are in it's lane.....

I've been pulled over for it a few times (a few years back now), but have never been booked. One time I told the copper that I was in the line of traffic, but I thought a car was going to tail-end me, so I split the lanes and filtered up to the front of the lights. Got the "safety" lecture, but got let off.....

Fight_fan
26-06-2008, 04:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by Hillsy

I've been pulled over for it a few times (a few years back now), but have never been booked. One time I told the copper that I was in the line of traffic, but I thought a car was going to tail-end me, so I split the lanes and filtered up to the front of the lights. Got the "safety" lecture, but got let off.....

Well played! Im usually way too pissed off to come up with wicked good excuses when I get pulled over! [}:)]
Which has so far landed me with - [B)]

scotty mac
26-06-2008, 04:20 PM
there is a VERY grey area here. i've been told you can overtake stationary vehicle, when ya get to the lights you must take a lane not sit on the line with a foot in each lane.
i've seen cops in brissy a few years ago riding staight down the emergency lanes when traffic was thick so i followed...nothing was said to me.
what Des said is like shooting fish in a barrell....

alfiestorm
26-06-2008, 05:35 PM
lane splitting or filtering as it is known here in England is legal so long as you are not going like a twat

abusa
26-06-2008, 06:28 PM
A friend told me once in slow moving traffic to use the indicator as if you are moving from one clear lane to another, that way you arent passing in the same lane. Also watch where you end up at the lights, you can be done for drossing the line if you have done everything else right.

zx12argh
26-06-2008, 06:33 PM
legally in qld three motorcycles can share the same lane as long as one vehicle is over taking.

JackTar
26-06-2008, 08:46 PM
I am pretty sure that lane filtering which is often referred to as lane splitting (going between cars that have no forward motion) is still legal however lane splitting (going between moving traffic) has always been illegal. There was a big court case etc not too long ago where they were trying to stop us from lane filtering but they lost. Make no mistake they will just make the statistics work for them next time and we will be fucked (and there will be a next time) but for now I am fairly confident it is still legal in most if not all states. Fuck I have been filtering through stopped traffic and stopped and talked to the cops who have told me they wished they were on my bike not stuck in the fucked traffic.

Weaselman
26-06-2008, 08:54 PM
you cant split lanes in sydney because the roads are so fucked that the lines arnt there to split in the first place.

ANNNNNND
The police consider lane splitting ok IF
The traffic is at a standstill
You are not traveling in excess of 15km/h when doing it
And you do not split up the outside of stopped vehicles (Meaning on the parked car side)

Filtering is when you ride between moving vehicles already in a lane. And they will spank you if they see you do it.

renegade
26-06-2008, 10:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by Weaselman

you cant split lanes in sydney because the roads are so fucked that the lines arnt there to split in the first place.

That made me laugh my arse off. i know what you mean. my trip onto and over the bridge on my way to the northside everyday can be hell. there is no way i want to even try splitting there, and it aint because im worried about the cops.

WarHound
27-06-2008, 08:02 AM
I saw a news report in the US explaining why bikes filter and how they can do it legally .. was very cool ... I think the best thing is to get all the bike groups together with "I am not lane splitting" shirts on and go out in the peak hour together .. 8) .. 1000 bikes lined up in single file holding the traffic up for hours might change the minds of a few cagers 8)

336LJ
27-06-2008, 02:09 PM
I got a text msg from my younger bro last night (the one that got knocked off his bike the other week)

He was basically in his lane about a foot from the left side line. and some asshole in a car just belts past him in that lane!
My brother being fed up with fuckheads in cars at this point follows him to his house. says something along the lines of "what the fuck are you doing asshole" yada yada, the guy says I dont care I do it all the time. brother gives the guy an accurate description of his appearance, driving style, and future issues he may encounter. leaves, goes to the cop shop with the guys rego number, and get this.

the cop told him, a car is not obligated to use an indicatior and change lanes to overtake a motorcycle!, but a motorcycle cant overtake another one in the same lane. ... (clearly this cop is a fuckwit)

old gsxrr
27-06-2008, 08:03 PM
xjrjack,i contacted main roads complaining about the new wire dividers and they informed me they
know what they are doing and are very concerned about rider safety,another thing the cops dont like is weaving to the right -left etc between cars to get past slow cars,if you do it go like your riding carefully.in the US you are not allowed to go up the middle at traffic lights unless there is enough room between the car and the dividing line so you dont ride accross the dividing line between lanes

hooligan
27-06-2008, 08:37 PM

quote:Originally posted by Weaselman

That made me laugh my arse off. i know what you mean. my trip onto and over the bridge on my way to the northside everyday can be hell. there is no way i want to even try splitting there, and it aint because im worried about the cops.

I love filtering accross the bridge in peak hour. I've gotten from my place in alexandria to Ben's in brookvale in 27 minutes. And yes, i did actually time it.

morrigan
27-06-2008, 08:55 PM
What always concerns me about splitting is the chance that some moron will decide to try to change lanes without indicating. I've had a FWD (also known as Fuck Wit Driver) go around me in the left lane and turn the corner across the front of me

NZSF1
27-06-2008, 08:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by old gsxrr

xjrjack,i contacted main roads complaining about the new wire dividers and they informed me they
know what they are doing and are very concerned about rider safety

There is a petition here in NZ in an attempt to get rid of wire barriers. They have been dubbed "cheese graters".

Lane splitting is illegal here too, but fuck, we commute on ours bikes cause the traffic sucks, if more rode bike there would a be less of an issue. Look at those asians!!! Millions of bikes, no lanes, no real rules, maybe we could learn something?

BOHEMION
27-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Yeah, they were getting bikers the same morning, comming into Carseldine from the Bruce Hwy to Gypmie Road change over. How ever they werent getting bikers splitting they were getting the bikers on the left shoulder, apparently this was the same on the centenary aswell. I split past 2 Cop bikers and they didnt give a shit but they were stopping the bikes on the shoulder.

Also every day I split past about 3-4 Unmarked and afew marked Cars and have never been pulled over, one of the unmarked even moves out of my way if he can. I have also split up to cop bikes and they watch me come up in there mirrors and have said nothing.

So after speaking with officers and splitting literally besides them I am still non the wiser about what I can actually be booked for.

Hagarr
27-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Funkenfresh you are on to it. I had an "episode" on my Z9 in Murray Street years ago after lane splitting and pulling up and sitting beside the filth at the lights i ended up hopping off the bike further up the road after they pulled me over and walking off after much arm waving and arguing. Basically if you don't indicate lane change whether alongside vehicle or not and if you pull up alongside cars at the lights don't put your foot over the solid line you'll be booked. I argued the point but they weren't happy. They were waiting for me to ride off again and hassle me again so i simply stuck my head in their window as they sat there waiting for me and said see ya chaps. I came back much later and picked the bike up and road home (Pub)I respect the cops and what they do but they can be such uneducated ignorant mother fucking cunts at times.