PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel

Jerry
23-06-2008, 02:48 AM
Hi everyone.

I was in the garage last night working on my streetfighter and got a hot rod wheel which was collecting dust and was wondering if i could fit it to the bike, now im sure car wheels have been used before but does anyone have and tips or ideas about fitting a car wheel to a bike. The bike is a Suzuki Bandit 400.

Jerry

Booster
23-06-2008, 08:44 AM
do a search on single sided swingarm, done by several , done right it looks great

Gix11
23-06-2008, 05:52 PM
What size wheel? What stud pattern?

Jerry
23-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Booster

Do you mean a standered single side arm or have one made.

Gix11

Its a 15 by 10 inch wheel 5 stud pattern

Gix11
24-06-2008, 05:04 PM
10 inch wheel! Wow, that's big. You'd be running a 280 - 300 wide tyre on that if it worked. The biggest problem you will have is centering a wheel of that size, and then once you have done that you'd have to offset the chain by using jackshafts. Your main problem is no standard production single sided swinarm would allow clearance for 10 inch rim so you'd have to have a custom swingarm made. You could maybe get the hub from a VFR to work into the new arm and then you'd need a conversion plate to convert the 4 pin 100 PCD pattern to the 5 pin (whatever PCD) you have on the wheel. To be honest with you it would cost you a fortune in the end if you are not an engineer experiences in this area, plus the added weight it would give the little 400 engine might make the whole thing a wasted effort.

Have you taken the wheel out of your bike and laid the wheel in place? Do it and see how far the chain is out of line, how far the swingarm would have to come out and see if the wheel is centred with the frame if the stud holes are centred.

Here's what it looks like on a GS500:

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/916176610118888.jpg

I've been concentrating on the width and not the diametre. A standard wheel is 17" how do you think you'll be able to run a 15"?

Jerry
26-06-2008, 05:01 AM
Gix ive seen that bike before it gave me the idea but i think it would be to much for my first bike build. I do want a large rear wheel, i have heard that there are some firms out there that can widen a standered rear wheel so i will look into that. As for now ive just sorted out the sub frame to take a zxr400 race seat which i might shorten and use the Fireblade 180 wheel for now.

Gix11
26-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Sounds like a plan mate.