PDA

View Full Version : Handle Bar Geometry/Bike Geometry

zx12argh
17-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Ok I know the simplest theory for getting the bars on the bike are "put the holes about there and then adjust them until they feel comfortable" but given the luxury of designing my own triples is there a bit more of a science to it?

I'm really trying to improve the handling of the 12r so i'll be looking at spring rates and ride height etc - I'll hopefully be getting a racing mate who sets bikes up for a living to do this.

I figure the ideal position for the bars would be where the arm can impose the greatest moment on the forks with least amount of effort. However I'm fitting drag bars which are low and therefore contradict this...

I'm figuring flat bars but on high risers as far back as possible without looking gumby.

Comments? Thoughts?

latheboy
17-06-2008, 12:21 PM
How about put the holes about there and then adjust them until they feel comfortable;):D

fimpBIKES
17-06-2008, 12:37 PM
for feel (and direct 1:1 mech advantage) wouldnt it be best to put the bars as low as you can on the triple and in line with the axle?

kinda like putting some straight bar through your hollow front axle, but higher up ;)

thats kinda what i aimed to do with mine (although i comprimised a little so i could adjust the forks settings)

zx12argh
17-06-2008, 01:06 PM
I trying to get a compromise between that 1:1 angle and the angle that your arm hits the bars. In an ideal situation the bars would be in the same plane as the axle via the forks and about chest height... almost like ape hangers ;)

I think probably raised 2-3 inches and behind the forks so it forces the rider into more of an upright position.

Oh and latheboy - the biggest tool in your workshop is you [:p]

crazymofo
17-06-2008, 02:28 PM
While i can understand you wanting to gain maximum mechanical advantage. One point to consider for handling is your body weights distribution over the bike. Too far back and you'll have front end issues at full lean whilst on the gas. Modern bikes favour the 52/48 weight distribution. Favouring the front.

Having the bars in the optimal position for you to apply maximum force may as well be worthless if the front is so unweighted the tire cant grip enough to apply the directional forces.

Cheers.joe.

latheboy
17-06-2008, 02:33 PM
You know it ...
I dont know about the hight of the bars but i would have thought the centre of the bars should be in the same plane as the axle there for the centre of your bars/hands are the pivot point, but if you had them at chest height you would be leaning so far back you'd need a sissy bar .... i wouldnt use flat bars because they would fuck my wrist's, they have an unnatural position for your hands...

Lucas
17-06-2008, 02:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by crazymofo

While i can understand you wanting to gain maximum mechanical advantage. One point to consider for handling is your body weights distribution over the bike. [Too far back and you'll have front end issues at full lean whilst on the gas. Modern bikes favour the 52/48 weight distribution. Favouring the front.

Cheers.joe.

But may assist with wheelies:D

Pommy Chopper
17-06-2008, 03:24 PM
I'd recommend ape hangers.....cool as fuck and sorts the men from the boys!!!!

;)

Lucas
17-06-2008, 03:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by Pommy Chopper

I'd recommend ape hangers.....cool as fuck and sorts the men from the boys!!!!

;)

And fuck, wouldn't apes look good on a zx12 fighter;), go forward controls too, fuck rearsets[:p]

zx12argh
17-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Don't laugh... With the subby off it looks like a cruiser... I'll post up a photo later to show you what I mean.